Welcome!

rdunajewski

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I fear it may already be too late to save yourself, nothing to do but say welcome! One of us, one of us… 😂

Boy, I sure started off on the right foot here.  🤦‍♀️  Lesson learned, don't type when in a hurry, and always check before hitting Enter.

GMRS, dammit!

4 hours ago, GizzardGary said:

Baofeng UV-5G Plus.  Yeah, I know, I know, it's a learner for now. 

Many of us have Baofengs in our collection.  They can be very useful.  You may end up someday with something else, but it’s nothing to feel shy about.  

10 hours ago, GizzardGary said:

Boy, I sure started off on the right foot here.  🤦‍♀️  Lesson learned, don't type when in a hurry, and always check before hitting Enter.

GMRS, dammit!

We’ve all had typos and that’s a common one so much so I didn’t even notice. As for starting with a Baofeng, I think it’s smart to start inexpensive and they work. Great way to get to know what you may or may not want if you decide to indulge in future purchases. Nothing wrong with that.

3 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

It's better than the Baofengs I have. 👍

Yeah, I started out with the UV-5R Plus (just listening, of course).  I bought it back in 2020 to listen to local emergency comms back in the day.  I knew I couldn't use it to transmit.  When I decided to get my license, I wanted something that was legit to use on the GMRS.  I'm sure it will lead to more expensive radios down the road...

2 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

I love all my boofwangs, especially the uv5 radios.   I have woxoun and Motorola and the boofwangs get more use because they are cheap and work. 

Boofwangs...lol.  I'm familiar with NotARubicon, he's probably the reason I have the UV-5G Plus I have now.  He is a character, and we are the same age.  I speak sarcasm.

6 minutes ago, GizzardGary said:

I'm sure it will lead to more expensive radios down the road

More expensive doesn't always mean better or more capable. I had a pair of Midland GTX1000VP4s that retail for about $80 a pair. I got them new in the box at Goodwill for much less, but my Baofeng UV5Rs are half the price and more capable. Much better battery life, repeater-capable, the list goes on.

4 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

More expensive doesn't always mean better or more capable. I had a pair of Midland GTX1000VP4s that retail for about $80 a pair. I got them new in the box at Goodwill for much less, but my Baofeng UV5Rs are half the price and more capable. Much better battery life, repeater-capable, the list goes on.

I was thinking more along the lines of a mobile unit to mount in my vehicle, for the times I am on the road, and using a hand-held unit would be less than optimal.  I would invest in a home unit, but seeing as the nearest repeater to me is over 30 miles away, and I live in a small apartment, that might not be feasible.

14 minutes ago, GizzardGary said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a mobile unit to mount in my vehicle, for the times I am on the road, and using a hand-held unit would be less than optimal.  I would invest in a home unit, but seeing as the nearest repeater to me is over 30 miles away, and I live in a small apartment, that might not be feasible.

The same thing applies with mobiles. Midland mobiles can be expensive, like $400 expensive, and they get mixed reviews here. In fact, some folks hate them, and they're not shy about letting us know. But there are cheaper mobile options, under $200, that people love.

Hey everyone, I just got my GMRS license aprox 2 weeks ago, I'm new to GMRS radios and everything that includes. I am excited to be here as this is all new to me and just recently had a family member to order me two GMRS radios as a bday gift. I don't really know too much about GMRS radios so i hope they will be good enough to start out on. Everyone have a good day! 

1 hour ago, Bloodhound73 said:

Hey everyone, I just got my GMRS license aprox 2 weeks ago, I'm new to GMRS radios and everything that includes. I am excited to be here as this is all new to me and just recently had a family member to order me two GMRS radios as a bday gift. I don't really know too much about GMRS radios so i hope they will be good enough to start out on. Everyone have a good day! 

Welcome!  I hope you have fun!

2 hours ago, Bloodhound73 said:

Welcome!