Welcome!

rdunajewski

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself after joining this informative forum and receiving my GMRS call sign yesterday. I’m an over-the-hill family guy with 3 kids, beautiful wife and a little dog here in TX. When I have the time, I enjoy off-roading, archery, camping, shooting, swimming, fishing, hunting hogs, karate, learning history, shade-tree wrenching, and banging on drums - and am fairly mediocre at all of those pursuits.

I’m still very new to GMRS (and radio communications in general). I don’t have a GMRS radio yet and am researching both mobile and hand-held. I’m also reading and studying up for a Ham tecnhnician’s license that I hope to attain later on this year. In the meantime, I’d like to learn as much as I can about GMRS now that I got my GMRS license and possibly contribute when I can.

3 hours ago, WSAB827 said:

[...] I’m an over-the-hill family guy with 3 kids, beautiful wife and a little dog here in TX. [...] I enjoy off-roading, archery, camping, shooting, swimming, fishing, hunting hogs, karate, learning history, shade-tree wrenching, and banging on drums [...]

@WSAB827 - You clearly needed another hobby 😇

Welcome !!!

🤣😂🤣

4 hours ago, WSAB827 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself after joining this informative forum and receiving my GMRS call sign yesterday. I’m an over-the-hill family guy with 3 kids, beautiful wife and a little dog here in TX. When I have the time, I enjoy off-roading, archery, camping, shooting, swimming, fishing, hunting hogs, karate, learning history, shade-tree wrenching, and banging on drums - and am fairly mediocre at all of those pursuits.

I’m still very new to GMRS (and radio communications in general). I don’t have a GMRS radio yet and am researching both mobile and hand-held. I’m also reading and studying up for a Ham tecnhnician’s license that I hope to attain later on this year. In the meantime, I’d like to learn as much as I can about GMRS now that I got my GMRS license and possibly contribute when I can.

Welcome!  I'm new to GMRS as well.  I've found this group to be very helpful, extremely patient with the noobs and highly knowledgeable about GMRS -- and other invisible things that fly though the air.  You're in the right place.

Hello everyone!

GMRS newbie here in San Antonio, Texas. Got my license back in 2019 but never really used it. Feeling it's time to seek GMRS wisdom and I heard this is the place to get knowledge and have fun in the process. Eager to learn from what everyone has to teach and hope to expand the network.

Rox - WREB878

PS: I use/have BaoFeng & Midland devices.

Just getting into GMRS and found the forum so I joined. Just wanted some Comms for Family Outings/Hunting/ETC. and GMRS looked like a good way to go because there was no Test needed to get my License.  Still not made any contacts and just did give programing some Repeaters a try using CHIRP with my BTech GMRS V2.

Anyway, I see ya' in for forums and hear ya' on the air.

WSAA635 Signing Out.

@WSAA635 Welcome. GMRS is great for a lot of things. As far as random contacts, it's hit and miss depending on where you live and if your local repeater is  linked. Where I live, there are lots of linked repeaters and therefore lots of people to talk to. Others aren't so lucky. Hopefully you will find a good group to talk to.

Just joined a few minutes ago. I’ve been fascinated by radios since I was little. When I was about 8 or 9 a friend got a pair of walkie-talkies for x-mas and I thought they were the coolest thing ever. Magical! 

I got my first scanner when I was about 17 and since then I’ve always owned one and a few “walkie-talkies” too. I keep the radios for a while and then give them away and buy new ones.

My new toys are a BTech GMRS V2, which I have only one. Such a great little radio. I love the two PTT buttons. Great idea! 

I also have 6 (yes 6) Ailunce HA1G. Great radios, but with no one to talk to its hard to test them. I am an US citizen but live in Tijuana, Mx and work in Sam Diego. Monitoring GMRS frequencies in Tijuana is boring. Nothing but people using them for business purposes. 

The reason I bought six of them is because They have some great specials and, I am planning to do some volunteer work with organizations such as Aguilas Del Desierto. A group of volunteers that go to the desert near the Mexican border and look for lost immigrants and helps them. It’s not uncommon for them to find dead people. Including dead children. So sad! Anyway, I know they carry radios but most are cheap  bubblewrap radios.

I got my GMRS license not long ago and like others in here I am here to learn and share.

Greetings all.  Joined last year but haven’t really dug in until now.  Used comm systems in military long ago.  My call sign is former Marine One call sign from Nixon, Ford, Carter days. Last year I bought a pair of Baofeng’s for RV’ing & off-roading.  After graduating from “Notarubicon’s” crash courses on GMRS I’ve spent more time in the field using them with riding partners.  Last night on the patio while scanning channels I ran across a “net check-in” and Radio Bingo group at 1900 on a GMRS channel / 462.700 frequency.  I live north of Las Vegas roughly 70 miles.  I’d be interested in finding out more about this Net group but not sure how to narrow it down to the right repeater.  If anyone could provide more info I’d certainly appreciate it!

WRQH513  aka Nighthawk01

8 minutes ago, Nighthawk01 said:

Greetings all.  Joined last year but haven’t really dug in until now.  Used comm systems in military long ago.  My call sign is former Marine One call sign from Nixon, Ford, Carter days. Last year I bought a pair of Baofeng’s for RV’ing & off-roading.  After graduating from “Notarubicon’s” crash courses on GMRS I’ve spent more time in the field using them with riding partners.  Last night on the patio while scanning channels I ran across a “net check-in” and Radio Bingo group at 1900 on a GMRS channel / 462.700 frequency.  I live north of Las Vegas roughly 70 miles.  I’d be interested in finding out more about this Net group but not sure how to narrow it down to the right repeater.  If anyone could provide more info I’d certainly appreciate it!

WRQH513  aka Nighthawk01

Welcome, Nighthawk01,

If you look in the repeater database, at the map, you should be able to spot the repeater on that frequency.  

16 hours ago, Nighthawk01 said:

WRQH513  aka Nighthawk01

Most likely this repeater:

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/6281