Welcome!

rdunajewski

Hello all,

I purchased my first GRMS radio, a Baofung GM-15 and also received my license after paying the fee…

My expected use is working as a volunteer for disaster relief and so communicating with my fellow volunteers. As we are all volunteers, we provide our own equipment…

Now that I have the radio, I am keen to learn as much as I can about GRMS operations.

28 minutes ago, WRXZ634 said:

[...] Now that I have the radio, I am keen to learn as much as I can about GRMS operations.

Welcome !!!

You have come to the right place 😀

... enjoy browsing the forum !

Good day!

New GMRS user, but long time radio geek 🙂

I was a CBer back in the 70s, and then got my ham license in the mid 80s (N9FIV). As life changed I let that ticket expire but was re-licensed in January, 2022 and I am now N7BBQ as a ham and WRXZ627 on GMRS.

I retired in April, 2022 and we sold our house in the Chicago area in October, 2022. My wife, adult daughter and I are now traveling full time in our 35' motorhome. I picked up a couple of Baofeng UV-9G handhelds mainly to use as we are traveling. I also have my ham HF gear and a dual band HT with me and mainly use the HF gear for Parks On The Air activations and hunting.

Outside of radio and RVing we are BBQ and Steak Cook Off competitors, although we retired from BBQ Competitions after 14 years. We still plan to do some steak cook offs when we can.

...ron

Hi all! ive had my GMRS license since 2018 and only used it for simplex communications when off-roading with friends in the southern California deserts and forests. I've always kept it as simple as that aside from flipping the radio on in traffic and scanning for any interesting conversations every once in a while.

I've been studying for my HAM technicians license which has reignited my interest in my GMRS which led me here. Im excited about learning more about these radios, repeaters and chatting with yall here and on the waves, thanks for having me.

GMRS: Midland mxt275 w/ ghost antenna & XT511

HAM: Baofeng uv5r

FRS: Motorlla Talkabout

CB: Midland 75

5 minutes ago, WRBX948 said:

Hi all! ive had my GMRS license since 2018 and only used it for simplex communications when off-roading with friends in the southern California deserts and forests. I've always kept it as simple as that aside from flipping the radio on in traffic and scanning for any interesting conversations every once in a while.

I've been studying for my HAM technicians license which has reignited my interest in my GMRS which led me here. Im excited about learning more about these radios, repeaters and chatting with yall here and on the waves, thanks for having me.

GMRS: Midland mxt275 w/ ghost antenna & XT511

HAM: Baofeng uv5r

FRS: Motorlla Talkabout

CB: Midland 75

Welcome to the forum !!!

On this forum you will find tips and tricks and a ton of new ideas as to how to spend your money 😇

Good luck on your ham exam !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there everyone.   Newbie to the GMRS world and was just granted license (WRYJ591) a couple days ago.  I'm here in the Houston Area and would like to connect and learn from Gods of GMRS.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have not even bought any equiptment yet.  Would like a couple of handhelds and to also outfit my truck for overlanding and camping stuff.  Thanks for the add. 

6 minutes ago, WRYJ591 said:

Hi there everyone.   Newbie to the GMRS world and was just granted license a couple days ago.  I'm here in the Houston Area and would like to connect and learn from Gods of GMRS.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have not even bought any equiptment yet.  Would like a couple of handhelds and to also outfit my truck for overlanding and camping stuff.  Thanks for the add. 

Welcome!  Feel free to ask questions.

3 minutes ago, WRYJ591 said:

Hi there everyone.   Newbie to the GMRS world and was just granted license a couple days ago.  I'm here in the Houston Area and would like to connect and learn from Gods of GMRS.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have not even bought any equiptment yet.  Would like a couple of handhelds and to also outfit my truck for overlanding and camping stuff.  Thanks for the add. 

Welcome to the "Temple of GMRS Knowledge" and other craziness 😀

I am sure that you will find all the information you are looking for.

IMHO - just jump in and get your first HT - anything repeater capable will get you started !!!

Thanks.   I am reading as much as I can and a bit overwhelmed with what I shoudl buy as my first HT.  I am in the belief of buy once cry once.  So if money is no object and I want something that I can have grow with me, what do you and anyone else that wants to chime in suggest. TIA. 

26 minutes ago, WRYJ591 said:

Thanks.   I am reading as much as I can and a bit overwhelmed with what I shoudl buy as my first HT.  I am in the belief of buy once cry once.  So if money is no object and I want something that I can have grow with me, what do you and anyone else that wants to chime in suggest. TIA. 

I recommend watching Notarubicon videos on YouTube. I wouldn’t go high end at first; I would buy something low to mid level and play around with it to learn what features are important to you. Nobody buys just one. 🙂

Welcome @WRYJ591. If you’re like many of us you will end up getting more than one (or two, or three…) My favorite right now is the Wouxun KG-935G plus. You can spend more, you can spend less. Starting out with a less expensive radio is a great way to jump in and learn about GMRS and what you may want from your next radio. Good advice from both @Sshannon and @WRXD372.