Welcome!

rdunajewski

Having an Amateur Radio License and a GMRS License is Great. After all everyone who are involved in Volunteer Public Service, should be able for non-Hams. Even individuals who don't have either license.  No matter what if you're working a PSE or working a large-scale emergency relief, it's a excellent idea to have both.

On 3/26/2023 at 3:38 PM, Adamdaj said:

Having an Amateur Radio License and a GMRS License is Great. After all everyone who are involved in Volunteer Public Service, should be able for non-Hams. Even individuals who don't have either license.  No matter what if you're working a PSE or working a large-scale emergency relief, it's a excellent idea to have both.

I plan on getting a ham license as well, I joined a local amateur group so I will eventually have both. But I wanted to get something set up for local GMRS, being that a GMRS license covers immediate family and Ham doesn't. It's more enticing for local communities. 

3 hours ago, WRWR462 said:

I plan on getting a ham license as well, I joined a local amateur group so I will eventually have both. But I wanted to get something set up for local GMRS, being that a GMRS license covers immediate family and Ham doesn't. It's more enticing for local communities. 

I already knew that Amateur Radio Licenses only covers the Licensee and not family members If I wasn't aware of that, I wouldn't be a Volunteer Examiner. The only way to have a friend or family member who doesn't have a license under your license, you must physically be present supervising the person. 

54 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

I already knew that Amateur Radio Licenses only covers the Licensee and not family members If I wasn't aware of that, I wouldn't be a Volunteer Examiner. The only way to have a friend or family member who doesn't have a license under your license, you must physically be present supervising the person. 

I was only explaining my reasoning for GMRS and not Ham.. there's no need for this.. 

I've seen families in my area use FRS ht for their kids with little success since they're limited in power. So, my idea is cheap GMRS ht's like a UV-5G and a rptr for the community, mostly for parents that dont want to buy their kid cell phones. Ham would not cover the kid away from the licensed like a GMRS would. 

22 hours ago, WRWR462 said:

I was only explaining my reasoning for GMRS and not Ham.. there's no need for this.. 

I've seen families in my area use FRS ht for their kids with little success since they're limited in power. So, my idea is cheap GMRS ht's like a UV-5G and a rptr for the community, mostly for parents that dont want to buy their kid cell phones. Ham would not cover the kid away from the licensed like a GMRS would. 

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me, but I'm confused.  I didn't mean to confuse you, I was just stating some facts. I really can see why parents don't want allow their children to  have cell phones, but FRS only has limited range in most areas. Finding an open GMRS repeater sometimes can be hard, but just like the FRS, simplex range varies on GMRS Handhelds.

21 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me, but I'm confused.  I didn't mean to confuse you, I was just stating some facts. I really can see why parents don't want allow their children to  have cell phones, but FRS only has limited range in most areas. Finding an open GMRS repeater sometimes can be hard, but just like the FRS, simplex range varies on GMRS Handhelds.

Seems like you're the one confused. A lot of parents don't want to buy their kids cell phones because of social media, dont understand technology enough to monitor them, think their kid is too young for a cell phone, or just flat out cant afford the monthly payment with inflation and all. You also must live under a rock and not know of the challenges that kids are trying and dieing from on social media.

I plan on eventually putting the repeater up myself. I don't get what is so hard to comprehend with this. There's a reason I started a group on my FB.

GMRS isn't limited to 2 watts (in repeater channels) and can have better antennas, making them better for range. The Baofeng UV-5G is about 4 watts with an antenna better than the limited FRS ht's, pretty much double the range.

20 minutes ago, WRWR462 said:

Seems like you're the one confused. A lot of parents don't want to buy their kids cell phones because of social media, dont understand technology enough to monitor them, think their kid is too young for a cell phone, or just flat out cant afford the monthly payment with inflation and all. You also must live under a rock and not know of the challenges that kids are trying and dieing from on social media.

GMRS isn't limited to 2 watts (in repeater channels) and can have better antennas, making them better for range. The Baofeng UV-5G is about 4 watts with an antenna better than the limited FRS ht's, pretty much double the range.

@Adamdajkeeps AGREEING with you, yet you continue to argue.  Who's confused, @WRWR462?

He says, "I really can see why parents don't want allow their children to  have cell phones" and you turn around and explain to him why parents don't want their kids to have cell phones??

BTW ... your last statement is totally wrong.  In perfect conditions, range expands with the square root of the increase in power.  So going to 2 to 4 watts you *might* get 1.4 times the range, not double.

In the real world, where there are things like trees and buildings and hills?  You probably won't even notice the difference between 2 and 4 watts.