Welcome!

rdunajewski

I just got my GMRS license and now I am a member here. Looking forward to learning and growing with my knowledge and proficiency with radios and getting to know the community. Eventually I want to get an amateur license eventually, but we'll see. I will be needing (as most newbies) help and advice and am really excited about the process. 

1 hour ago, WRXI996 said:

I just got my GMRS license and now I am a member here. Looking forward to learning and growing with my knowledge and proficiency with radios and getting to know the community. Eventually I want to get an amateur license eventually, but we'll see. I will be needing (as most newbies) help and advice and am really excited about the process. 

Welcome in! Ask us anything. If we don't know we'll make something up. Just kidding. There's a substantial knowledge base here.

3 hours ago, WRXI996 said:

Eventually I want to get an amateur license eventually, but we'll see.

This is the route I am also taking.  I just passed my Technician test, and am studying for my General and Amateur Extra tests.  I favor GMRS, but I am moving to a state with a lot of land and not a lot of people, so I thought it would be fun (and perhaps useful) to get my amateur license as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new to the site and new to GMRS.  I used FRS for several years but ready to level up.  I’m here to learn.  I have my license and a pair of inexpensive HT’s but I’ve been sick this week and unable to get out and test them.  Just glad to find a friendly, informative site like this!

1 hour ago, WRXI377 said:

Hi, new to the site and new to GMRS.  I used FRS for several years but ready to level up.  I’m here to learn.  I have my license and a pair of inexpensive HT’s but I’ve been sick this week and unable to get out and test them.  Just glad to find a friendly, informative site like this!

A pair inexpensive HT’s is how it starts. The next thing you know it’s many many radios later… lol ? welcome ?

48 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

A pair inexpensive HT’s is how it starts. The next thing you know it’s many many radios later… lol ? welcome ?

... a pair of inexpensive HTs ?!? It's a trap !!! ... Run !!!

? 

Welcome !!!

Edited by WRXD372
quick fingers ... forgot the "welcome"

1 hour ago, WRVN509 said:

New to GMRS and the site.  Trying to put it together. ?

If you ever manage to "put it together", let us know - we are all still trying.

?

Welcome !!!

Edited by WRXD372

Time for a new profile picture:

Say farewell to the freaky Bowler hat guy ... 

image.png.2b53d1df39c1639e2b439a22412256ef.png

(Company Christmas costume party - Sam the Snowman) 

... say Hello to my soulmate:

image.jpeg.65cba271eb8d40c59eeb7e17012b03a0.jpeg

Just now, WRUU653 said:

? I’m not falling for that ? p.s. congrats 

Seriously I have to quit buying radios. I have two of this model already. This last one gives me three. I also have three of the UHF models too. 

The only Ham digital mode I don’t have a radio for yet is System Fusion. I might not be able to resist and get one sooner or later. 

8 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Seriously I have to quit buying radios. I have two of this model already. This last one gives me three. I also have three of the UHF models too. 

The only Ham digital mode I don’t have a radio for yet is System Fusion. I might not be able to resist and get one sooner or later. 

The FT5DR was down to $329 during hamvention. Maybe still. 

43 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Right, tempt him with expensive stuff... ? There are cheaper options for the System Fusion.

There’s the FT70, but his collection is built on higher end hardware, isn’t it?

Also the FT70 doesn’t APRS. 

7 hours ago, Sshannon said:

There’s the FT70, but his collection is built on higher end hardware, isn’t it?

The radios for the most part I have are considered "mid-tier" models. I have a few high end radios like the TH-D74A

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/support/pdf/TH-D74A.pdf

and the D578UVII Plus,

https://powerwerx.com/anytone-atd578uviiiplus-dmr-tri-band-mobile-radio-bluetooth

I have some low end ones too.

For example I have a couple of the NX-1300DUK5's. These radios are great and included front panel programming at no additional cost.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/290-nx-1300duk5/?context=new

The current high end Kenwood HT's are the NX-5000 series. Once you add in all the optional licenses for the good feature set you're likely looking at $2000 plus for an HT. Just to add the P25 option is around $500. The NXDN and DMR are far cheaper at $40 to $50 each. You want the trunking feature for each more money. Want encryption more money etc. Then the cost for the license key to enable the programming software for the radios is about $150 each. I'm not going to that extreme.

https://www.hickeycomms.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/NX5000_portable_EU_02-1016-LR.pdf