Welcome!

rdunajewski

13 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

@Adamdajkeeps AGREEING with you, yet you continue to argue.  Who's confused, @WRWR462?

He says, "I really can see why parents don't want allow their children to  have cell phones" and you turn around and explain to him why parents don't want their kids to have cell phones??

BTW ... your last statement is totally wrong.  In perfect conditions, range expands with the square root of the increase in power.  So going to 2 to 4 watts you *might* get 1.4 times the range, not double.

In the real world, where there are things like trees and buildings and hills?  You probably won't even notice the difference between 2 and 4 watts.

Ok, I may have read *can* as can't. That's my fault. A better antenna is worth more than a little extra power, did you miss my part about having a better antenna? Sure power is only 1.4, but not having a fixed crap antenna it's more.

But anyways, that's the reason for the repeater. 

Hi all my name is Henrique, I just got my GMRS license and the HT arrived today. I live in New Jersey and my primary use will be for trails with family on parks in northwest region.

Started today to get used to it, listening to some frequencies that I can get from home to understand how people communicate in GMRS.

Any recommendations for a complete novice that never used radio before?

1 hour ago, WRWU556 said:

Hi all my name is Henrique, I just got my GMRS license and the HT arrived today. I live in New Jersey and my primary use will be for trails with family on parks in northwest region.

Started today to get used to it, listening to some frequencies that I can get from home to understand how people communicate in GMRS.

Any recommendations for a complete novice that never used radio before?

Welcome, Henrique,

As long as you got a decent quality GMRS handheld radio, the rule regarding bandwidth and power limits on individual channels are baked in.  

So, if you're going to talk to another member of your family, simply tune both of your radios to anything other than 23-30 (which are sometimes called RP15 - RP21). 

Then, the one who wants to talk pushes his or her PTT (push to talk) button and speaks.  When you're done, you should identify yourself by saying your call sign, then let up on the PTT and let the other person talk.

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Good morning. David here, from The Peoples Republic of Maryland. Didn't know what a GMRS was when 2023 started. Got my license a few weeks ago. Just wanted to introduce myself before beginning my campaign to become the biggest PITA of the week. 

There can be only one...

Welcome!  You’ll fit right in.

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Good morning. David here, from The Peoples Republic of Maryland. Didn't know what a GMRS was when 2023 started. Got my license a few weeks ago. Just wanted to introduce myself before beginning my campaign to become the biggest PITA of the week

Lol, Welcome David!

Alrighty then...Main purpose of diving into the GMRS pool is for possible communication with the wife during certain emergencies. While we're both at work. Bought a pair of Radioddity GM-30's to try and learn with. And a Wouxan KG-935G for down the road. (It's still in the box)

With some studying, video watching, and reading here, I figured out how to get started. Located an open repeater that showed my work location well within it's map area. The wife's location was just outside of it. Hoping that it might still work I programmed both radios and, "how about that", it worked. Loud and clear. Even with her inside of her office. Mission Accomplished! 

So now I want to attempt contact with a family member that would require multiple repeaters. So...do repeaters automatically pass along signals to every repeater within range, or do I have to enter a specific route. And if so, how the hell do I do that?

And thanks for the "welcomes".

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

So now I want to attempt contact with a family member that would require multiple repeaters. So...do repeaters automatically pass along signals to every repeater within range, or do I have to enter a specific route. And if so, how the hell do I do that?

Welcome!

As @BoxCar said, it doesn’t work that way.  Full duplex analog repeaters simultaneously transmit what they receive using one frequency to receive and another to transmit. They do no routing and they do not pass along signals. In GMRS, full duplex repeaters receive on 467.xxx MHz and transmit on 462.xxx MHz so they cannot hear each other.

Networked GMRS repeaters are connected via the Internet and in some instances are subject to transmitted commands to join the network, but I have no idea how routing works (or if it does).  Due to their public nature, though, if you routed a networked repeater everyone else using the repeater goes along with you and, conversely, if they are allowed to command the repeater you’re using to re-connect to another networked repeater mid conversation, off you go.  And of course in an emergency that involves an Internet outage all networking fails.

Although I have no experience using networked GMRS repeaters, I do have experience using DMR repeaters in the amateur radio service (ARS).  There you connect via Talk Groups. Depending on which network your repeater is linked to, you can talk to someone else on another repeater connected to the same network anywhere in the world as long as they know to listen at that time.  Calling them on the phone works for arranging that. ?

Of course everyone else connected to either repeater on either end hears you and can even join your conversation. Neither GMRS nor ARS has anything remotely resembling secure and private conversations.

Greetings Everyone! 

New person here. Essentially, I have very little idea what I'm doing with GMRS. :-)> Hope to be able to integrate into this radio form in addition to my HAM stuff. From what I've heard, there are more, "Real People", on GMRS than in the, "HAM", community. Not that I still don't enjoy my fellow HAMS ...

Anyway, my wife and I are located in Illinois for the time being. Looking forward to being in the forum! That is all for now. Carry on. :-)>

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings and Salutations !

Whom do we have here?

A friendly (and Happy) HAM who played around with GMRS some 10 plus years ago when regulations were more restrictive, equipment was practically unavailable (unless in a preprogrammed four-pack at Costco), and repeaters were scarce (granted, REACT might have set up and used a few). 

I have recently taken another look at GMRS and Zello and .. I see a lot of potential and fun in those technologies! Logically, I have to join the fun !!!

In my area, I have access to lokal repeater that ROCKS !!! (Whiskey Rocks #2) when it comes to coverage and users: Some great tech enthusiasts (no worries, I will not try to convert you to Ham).

And while I like the idea of technologies like Zello, I often prefer local communication!

In any case, one thing has not changed: Field Programming a Baofang is still a torturous and frustration task :)

Hello from central Texas
WRXH535 - brand new as of this morning!
(Actually yesterday, but I got the email this morning).

I've been reading the forum a lot as a visitor and have
picked up a lot of very helpful tips and tricks already.

Havin' fun here, boss...

Richard

1 hour ago, cavelamb said:

Hello from central Texas
WRXH535 - brand new as of this morning!
(Actually yesterday, but I got the email this morning).

I've been reading the forum a lot as a visitor and have
picked up a lot of very helpful tips and tricks already.

Havin' fun here, boss...

Richard

Welcom in!