Welcome!

rdunajewski

I talked to my VEC and he snail mailed the paperwork.  

That is okay since that gives me time to install my bulkhead to get my cables inside the shack and get my antennas up. One of the old timers taught me how to build a 10m dipole today. So I will have 2m/70cm, 10m and GMRS going once everything is setup and I get my call sign.

Good evening all. New to GMRS and radio/comms in general. Stumbled onto GMRS a couple weeks ago while searching for radios to communicate with the scout troop while camping (new dad to the troop, just got assigned as den leader of the lions aka the kindergarteners which is my son's den, and I enjoy prepping, so this was a happy accident). A few youtube videos later learning more about the benefits of GMRS and here I am.

Like any other hobby, I'm diving into head-first and soaking up as much knowledge as I can. Got my call sign two days ago and my radios earlier today. Went with TIDRADIO TD-H5 because it was a two-pack, and the USB-C was the standout feature as I carry USB-C battery packs in my camping backpack in case I need a quick charge (the flashlights and other devices get USB-C charging as well).

Long term, I'm exploring adding Midland MXT500s to the vehicles and the house as a form of backup communication in case SHTF (we live in Florida, it's unlikely a hurricane knocks down our cell service with all the redundancies in place post-Andrew, but you never know). I'm also open to getting some more feature-rich radios like the B-Tech Pros or similar.

For now, as mentioned, just trying to learn as much as I can. For example, I'm currently wrapping my head around the repeater channels and how they work with the local repeaters, as well as listening on the channels so I can learn the etiquette, lingo, and rules.

Thanks for having me on the boards.

Hello! New GMRS user here, as I just recently discovered the service while researching HAM. Will eventually get HAM licensed also, but for now focusing on GMRS. I grew up in a CB family in the 70s and 80s and have had mobile CBs off and on over the years. Also used radios daily in my criminal justice career over the last 28 years. Had my GMRS license a month and have 2 UV-5RE8W hams and 2 GM-15 Pros.  Have a GMRS-20v2, programming cable, Nagoya NMO magnet mount, and Midland MTXA26 arriving this week for my truck. Looking to also get a GMRS-50v2 or KG1000g plus in the near future. Already learned a lot from YouTube and looking forward to learning from this forum.   

7 minutes ago, WRYX699 said:

Hello! New GMRS user here, as I just recently discovered the service while researching HAM. Will eventually get HAM licensed also, but for now focusing on GMRS. I grew up in a CB family in the 70s and 80s and have had mobile CBs off and on over the years. Also used radios daily in my criminal justice career over the last 28 years. Had my GMRS license a month and have 2 UV-5RE8W hams and 2 GM-15 Pros.  Have a GMRS-20v2, programming cable, Nagoya NMO magnet mount, and Midland MTXA26 arriving this week for my truck. Looking to also get a GMRS-50v2 or KG1000g plus in the near future. Already learned a lot from YouTube and looking forward to learning from this forum.   

Welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...