Welcome!

rdunajewski

18 minutes ago, WRYJ591 said:

Sorry for my ignorce but what is a ham license?

TIA

My apologies for assuming that this is common knowledge 🥴

"Ham" is shorthand for "amateur radio".

That service requires operators to pass at least one / up to three exams - no morse code needed and the questions and answers are public record.

The three license levels that come with varying frequency privileges and different frequency bands.

(GMRS operates on frequencies close to the 70cm ham band.)

If you are ever interested, we can point you into the direction of some online study sites 😇

... am I getting too far into this ?!? 🤣

On 8/21/2023 at 4:04 PM, WRXD372 said:

My apologies for assuming that this is common knowledge 🥴

"Ham" is shorthand for "amateur radio".

That service requires operators to pass at least one / up to three exams - no morse code needed and the questions and answers are public record.

The three license levels that come with varying frequency privileges and different frequency bands.

(GMRS operates on frequencies close to the 70cm ham band.)

If you are ever interested, we can point you into the direction of some online study sites 😇

... am I getting too far into this ?!? 🤣

Thank you for the explaination.  Let me 1st my feet wet and go from there.  I would like some info on Ham radio eventually but for now I just want to get some knowledge on how to use GMSR radios so I don't over whem my self.  

By the way I was looking at the Wouxun KG 935 Gt and the BTECH GMSR v2 or Pro and the Midland GT000VP4 - What are ya'lls opinon on these radios. TIA

19 minutes ago, WRYJ591 said:

Thank you for the explaination.  Let me 1st my feet wet and go from there.  I would like some info on Ham radio eventually but for now I just want to get some knowledge on how to use GMSR radios so I don't over whem my self.  

By the way I was looking at the Wouxun KG 935 Gt and the BTECH GMSR v2 or Pro and the Midland GT000VP4 - What are ya'lls opinon on these radios. TIA

Welcome 👋
Of those radios I only have personal experience with the KG-935G plus and I’ll say it’s my favorite every day radio and I haven’t heard anyone that has it that doesn’t like it.  I know someone with the GMSR v2 and his sound quality is good into a repeater between us, where he is probably 10 miles away from the repeater. I’d say watch some videos like NotaRubicon and get a feel for what the different features are and what may be important for your use. 

9 hours ago, WRYJ591 said:

[...] for now I just want to get some knowledge on how to use GMSR radios so I don't over whem my self.  

Right On !!! ... and when it comes to 70cm ham and GMRS - the knowledge is transferrable 😎

Hello all.  New to GMRS, but not new to radios/comms.  Spent 12 years in USAF as a spook, reverse-engineering communications systems from DC to daylight.

A friend has a 250 acre plot of land that we will be hunting on.  Lots of hills and valleys.  No cell phone service, so we both opted to go the GMRS route to stay in touch while deer hunting.  We both have Baofeng UV-5X3 radios, and are in the process of building a self-contained solar powered repeater  that we will be installing in one of our blinds t hat is on a nice high point on the property.

Looking forward to learning how it's done in the GMRS world.  This sure seems to be the place for that.  Thanks for having me.

AwardsAndDecs 225.jpg

7 hours ago, tcpip95 said:

Hello all.  New to GMRS, but not new to radios/comms.  Spent 12 years in USAF as a spook, reverse-engineering communications systems from DC to daylight.

A friend has a 250 acre plot of land that we will be hunting on.  Lots of hills and valleys.  No cell phone service, so we both opted to go the GMRS route to stay in touch while deer hunting.  We both have Baofeng UV-5X3 radios, and are in the process of building a self-contained solar powered repeater  that we will be installing in one of our blinds t hat is on a nice high point on the property.

Looking forward to learning how it's done in the GMRS world.  This sure seems to be the place for that.  Thanks for having me.

AwardsAndDecs 225.jpg

Welcome to MyGMRS! Thank you for your service!

250 acres is a nice size parcel (I wish I had it!), but depending on its shape and topography you might be able to get by without a repeater.  In fact, unlicensed FRS radios might even be sufficient.  A square mile is 640 acres; a 250 acre square is 3300 feet per side.  

Of course thick vegetation and hills could drastically change the range you get and maybe you intend to go outside of the parcel.

Hi, all!  I'm looking down a pretty deep rabbit-hole as a freshly-minted GMRS licensee.  I have to keep telling myself (and my wife) that this is *necessary* if we want to use these nice, longer-range radios on the camping trips.  Not sure she's completely on-board but I already have the license so there's not much she can do at this point.  Plus, I keep reminding her, this isn't exactly the most expensive hobby (unless I go full-on ham).

Looks like there are a few repeaters in my area and I'll be listening for a while to kind of "cut my teeth" before doing much of anything else.  Also looking forward to have something else to do on long road trips (camping, work) besides listen to FM/XM/Spotify.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cwopinger said:

Happily retired from both now. Looking forward to going down this rabbit hole. 

Happy retirement - - considering your new rabbit hole, I hope those pensions are sizable 😇 in both cases: you deserve it !!!

Thank you for your service and Welcome !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello from Missouri.

I just received my GMRS license yesterday and passed my amateur technician license last Saturday. I'm still waiting on my amateur call sign.

I stepped off into the rabbit hole with both feet since I am getting into amateur radio and GMRS. 😆 But it is like any other hobby that I am in. Model trains aren't much better.

I look forward to learning as much as my coffee soaked brain can take in.

3 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Hello from Missouri.

I just received my GMRS license yesterday and passed my amateur technician license last Saturday. I'm still waiting on my amateur call sign.

I stepped off into the rabbit hole with both feet since I am getting into amateur radio and GMRS. 😆 But it is like any other hobby that I am in. Model trains aren't much better.

I look forward to learning as much as my coffee soaked brain can take in.

Nice! That's awesome, way to jump in with both feet so to speak! Welcome to the forum. 👋😀

Just now, WRUU653 said:

Nice! That's awesome, way to jump in with both feet so to speak! Welcome to the forum. 👋😀

Thank you.

I joined a local amateur radio club and those guys have been great. They have loaned me an Icom IC-208H mobile, a 10 meter radio and a power supply to use until I can get my own equipment. I will be working on installing a Comet GP-9 dual band and 10m wire antenna on one end of my house along with a Comet CA-712EFC on the other end of the house. There will be about 55 feet between each antenna mast so I should be good to go there.

I did pick up a pair of Baofeng UV-5R GMRS radios and still have to decide what radio to use for a GMRS base station.

2 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

Hello from Missouri.

Log into the FCC web site and query your FRN on the Universal License System (ULS) to see if your call sign has been issued. The only reason it should take more than 72 hours is the VEC mailed your results to the FCC rather than filing electronically.

53 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Log into the FCC web site and query your FRN on the Universal License System (ULS) to see if your call sign has been issued. The only reason it should take more than 72 hours is the VEC mailed your results to the FCC rather than filing electronically.

I'e been checking several times a day. I'm beginning to think my VEC snail mailed my paperwork.

7 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

I'e been checking several times a day. I'm beginning to think my VEC snail mailed my paperwork.

1 hour ago, BoxCar said:

the VEC mailed your results to the FCC rather than filing electronically.

This is exactly what happend to me. Snail mail took eleven days to get from the VEC's to the ARRL in Conneticut. 🤦‍♂️ Once ARRL had it in their hands it was sent electronically that day to the FCC and I had my license the next day. I was beginning to think they sent it via messenger on a pony. 😂