Welcome!

rdunajewski

2 hours ago, CTarna said:

Hi. New (licensed) GMRS user from northern NJ.

Long time CB user (even had a CB license, back in the day), but just got MTX275 for Jeep (along with CB).

Interested in reading up on tips and trick of this new-to-me tech.

Welcome to the forum 😎

This is my second comment on the forum after joining yesterday, and realizing I should probably introduce myself before just jumping in. 

Been working my way towards a long term retirement plan over the last two years. Started off with applying for my GMRS license, go figure. Where else do you start the process of retiring?🤔 

Long story short, travel will be a big part of retirement for the next several years and off grid will be a large part of that. GMRS just seemed like a necessity with that in mind. Got a new truck, mobile radio purchased.  Recently got the travel trailer, "base radio" purchased. 

Just today requested and gained access to a big part of the Midwest network. Still haven't started transmitting other than simplex practice in the neighborhood. Of course monitoring the channels on the base radio in my "shack". 

I'm looking forward to learning from and perhaps connecting with the seasoned veterans and well as the rest of the community in due time. What else does a retired guy do with his spare time. So here's a "hearty greetings from central Indiana" to the greater GMRS family!🍻

1 hour ago, WRNN959 said:

This is my second comment on the forum after joining yesterday, and realizing I should probably introduce myself before just jumping in. 

Been working my way towards a long term retirement plan over the last two years. Started off with applying for my GMRS license, go figure. Where else do you start the process of retiring?🤔 

Long story short, travel will be a big part of retirement for the next several years and off grid will be a large part of that. GMRS just seemed like a necessity with that in mind. Got a new truck, mobile radio purchased.  Recently got the travel trailer, "base radio" purchased. 

Just today requested and gained access to a big part of the Midwest network. Still haven't started transmitting other than simplex practice in the neighborhood. Of course monitoring the channels on the base radio in my "shack". 

I'm looking forward to learning from and perhaps connecting with the seasoned veterans and well as the rest of the community in due time. What else does a retired guy do with his spare time. So here's a "hearty greetings from central Indiana" to the greater GMRS family!🍻

Welcome!  That sounds like a wonderful activity for retirement!

9 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Welcome @WRNN959 to the forum and retirement! That all sounds great, and a dog guy as well. 👍 What is this thing you call spare time though? Where can I get me some of that? 😂 I like your plan.👋😁 🍻 

I threw out that part about spare time while rolling my eyes! 🤪 I've now actually been without gainful employment for over a year and have very little spare time. Between selling or main home and remodeling a downsizer house for retirement, buying the camper and setting it up for our adventures and breaking it in, and the usual other plethora of family obligations, there's no actual spare time as you well know. But we don't have to rub it in to the working folks around us. 🤫

Yes you picked up on my love for dogs. Been a dog owner since I could walk, never been without a canine friend and someone will likely inherit my last dog some day. The two in the picture are in the middle of the bed between my wife and I as I type this message. 

27 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

Welcome to the forum @WRNN959

I clearly remember: The first contact is the "hardest" !!!

... afterwards, no one will be able to stop you 👍

Regarding GMRS and forum participation, I'm well past being bashful or intimidated to jump in. Having been very active on multiple other forums of other topics, this is my comfort zone when it comes to learning new information and developing friendships around a specific interest with folks near and far. It's almost strange to me that I'm comfortable with this medium having grown up without social media and even learning to operate within the computerized world and internet at a pretty mature age. But these kind of resources are amazing if a person just gets involved and lets his inhibitions go. 

So thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and I look forward to good conversations, sharing of ideas and most of all picking your brains for vital knowledge to become a seasoned radio operator with time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm from North East AZ and new to gmrs and radios in general aside from fire/ems radio usage.   My buddies and I were looking for radios for riding and settled on rugged GMR2 plus radios.   I personally have two for myself and my son when we ride.  I'm looking to learn how to use the gmrs radios and repeaters for general offroading on quads, dirtbikes and SXS's.  We plan on doing some longer rides around the state and area and want reliable communications.     

8 hours ago, Dharris6891 said:

Hi all, I'm from North East AZ and new to gmrs and radios in general aside from fire/ems radio usage.   My buddies and I were looking for radios for riding and settled on rugged GMR2 plus radios.   I personally have two for myself and my son when we ride.  I'm looking to learn how to use the gmrs radios and repeaters for general offroading on quads, dirtbikes and SXS's.  We plan on doing some longer rides around the state and area and want reliable communications.     

Welcome to the forums!

Hi all, I'm new to the site (and the forum) but am impressed by the wealth of information I have seen so far! I picked up my GMRS license last year when my family and I took a vacation in the eastern edge of TN by the Appalachian range. While we never got stuck/lost and "needed" it, I was happy to have it as a backup. Now I'm getting interested in learning a bit more about GMRS, and figured this was a good place to start!