Welcome!

rdunajewski

Hello!  Major newbie here.  I recently received my GMRS license but have yet to buy a radio.  Over 50 years ago I was into CB's for fun and just about when I was gonna go for amateur ham, I got sidetracked.  Over 71 now and started thinking about current affairs and communicating with family and others.  I thought I'd play around with GMRS, here I am.

Looking for a decent radio and did read some threads in the forums here. Have a few ideas what I'd like based on what I "think" I'd use it for. Most of the posts that I read talked about which is best and such but I'd like know what to stay away from!  What should a newbie be cautious of?  Buyer beware based personal experiences. 

My wants? 

Hand held that I could use (listen) in apt., ability to go the distance through repeaters, easy to program with software that is compatible with Apple computer, and a whole lot more "I don't know yet".  I want to be able to RX /TX about 10 miles or so.  I do live about 10 miles from a small midwest city. I know I should go HAM but I thought I'd try this out first.

Anyway, hello to y'all. Looking forward to this new adventure / hobby. I know I have a ton to learn, be gentle.

Welcome WRZB774. First off, it's unlikely you will be able to transmit and receive over 1 to 3 miles reliably with any handheld radio. So much depends on the antenna connected to the radio and its height above ground and surrounding obstructions. There are a lot of factors in even connecting your radio to an external antenna that make improvements to coverage area. The biggest factor is your antenna's height above ground followed closely by the antenna type, coax type and length.

Your radio, and all GMRS radios, are line-of-sight plus about 15% due to atmospheric bending of the radio waves. That's why height matters so much. Your antenna type is also a major factor but consider the fact that almost all antennas do nothing to increase the range or strength of your signal. Antenna gain figures are bandied about by all manufacturers, but remember there are two ways of reporting figures. Gains of 2.15 dB mean nothing as this is a figure measured against a theoretical antenna that doesn't exist. This is dBi. Dbd is a measurement against a real antenna and is always 2.15 dB above dBi.

The next limiter is the cable between the radio and the external antenna. All coax, the type of cable needed, resists the passage of radio signals resulting in loss. Loss is measured in dB or decibels and is a logarithmic value. 3 dB equals a factor of two, meaning the signal either doubles in strength or is divided by half. Different cables have different loss values depending on the type. RG8 type cables are the worst for loss and the common RG193 found on most antenna mounts provides an acceptable loss when the cable length is 20  feet or less.

Increased power just floods you coverage area with more signal but does not increase distance. Only antenna height will increase the radio's signal horizon.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info. This is good to know, the reality of distance versus expectations. 

Would you recommend being a newbie, a first radio full of features, with room to grow or would you recommend one with less features and buy new as one grows?  From what I understand the less expensive radios basically function (TX/RX) the same as the higher priced units with the price differences based on features. With your experience, what are the minimum must have features?  What would be the "I would like" features that you do not have now? 

Should I buy a good radio that I can grow into or should I just buy a basic and change it later anyway?  It's like buying a car. Do I need heated side mirrors and moon roof or is it something that is just fun?  What would best prepare someone for HAM?

I apologize if I ask too many questions. Thanks, Mike

Recommending a radio is like recommending a church. It depends on what you want to accomplish as your journey progresses. You mentioned thinking about getting a ham license as a goal. Personally, I think amateur is the way to go, as the technician level license is easy to obtain. Yes, it requires study, memorizing answers and passing a 35 question test over the material, but the benefits are access to a much greater number of repeaters and systems. If that is your goal, then my recommendation is for an amateur handheld that can be unlocked for use on the FRS/GMRS frequencies. My recommendation for an amateur handset in this case is a Yaesu FT-65 or FT-4XR. Both are 5W units and can be unlocked by entering a code from the keyboard on the unit. The instructions are easily found on the Internet.

10 hours ago, WRZB774 said:

Thanks for the info. This is good to know, the reality of distance versus expectations. 

Would you recommend being a newbie, a first radio full of features, with room to grow or would you recommend one with less features and buy new as one grows?  From what I understand the less expensive radios basically function (TX/RX) the same as the higher priced units with the price differences based on features. With your experience, what are the minimum must have features?  What would be the "I would like" features that you do not have now? 

Should I buy a good radio that I can grow into or should I just buy a basic and change it later anyway?  It's like buying a car. Do I need heated side mirrors and moon roof or is it something that is just fun?  What would best prepare someone for HAM?

I apologize if I ask too many questions. Thanks, Mike

I'm of the opinion that it's good to absorb as much info at the beginning in order to make an informed purchase decision. It is also my experience that 'you get what you pay for'. Me personally I would prefer to spend what I can for quality. And as always, there is enough left for Beer Money! 😁

@WRZB774 lots of us here have both a GMRS and amateur license. They both have their purposes and you may find one or both fit your needs. One thing to consider is who you want to communicate with and if they have the same interest as you in being licensed for whatever radio service you are using. You mentioned family and GMRS is ideal for this because they can use your license to communicate with you. It looks like you have a few repeaters around you that you may be able to reach. This can greatly improve the distance you can communicate. Some are open, some are members only. You may want to see if you can reach some of your local repeaters and if your family members can reach them from their locations. As for which radio, well that is a whole different thing but I personally started inexpensive while I got my feet wet and found what I liked and wanted in a radio. Then I started getting more radios. Then I got my amateur license and got even more radios. Beware It can be habit forming. Good luck and welcome to Mygmrs.

5 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Hi! Just got my GMRS license last summer! I do a lot of offroading in the woods and having reliable communication definitely makes everything easier, and everyone safer.

Yup, use mine exclusively off-road.  Gonna be trying it out in Moab in June..yeehaw!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings! New licensee here!  Been a ham for 25 years and thought I'd explore a new part of the spectrum!  Lots of useful and helpful info here.  I look forward to being a part of the community.

10 minutes ago, WSDD519 said:

Greetings! New licensee here!  Been a ham for 25 years and thought I'd explore a new part of the spectrum!  Lots of useful and helpful info here.  I look forward to being a part of the community.

Welcome!

Good Morning, 

New to GMRS in general even though i have used radios my entire life starting with CB, moved to emergency services radios on FD, then after my wife passed decided me and my son needed a hobbie so of course went with GMRS to get my feet wet so to speak while preping for my ham liscense. Finding out GMRS near where i am is slightly non exsistant though with my area not being covered in the MYGMRS websight search part lol...

12 minutes ago, BlackJack082978 said:

Good Morning, 

New to GMRS in general even though i have used radios my entire life starting with CB, moved to emergency services radios on FD, then after my wife passed decided me and my son needed a hobbie so of course went with GMRS to get my feet wet so to speak while preping for my ham liscense. Finding out GMRS near where i am is slightly non exsistant though with my area not being covered in the MYGMRS websight search part lol...

Welcome! I’m very sorry for your loss.

if you haven’t already found it, I found HamStudy.org to be an extremely effective way to study for my ham license.

@BlackJack082978 Welcome to GMRS. There may be some other listing with repeaters in your area. MyGMRS.com lists a lot of repeaters in Texas but there are also many that are not listed. Some of them are listed on TexasGMRS.net. Do a google search and you may find something.

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by WRXB215
typo

Thanks for having me.  Just a UTV Overlander west of Phoenix, that likes to explore. 

Equipment:
2 Rugged radio Handheld GMRS 2+. I patch into my buggy antenna to my mounted handheld that's connected to some BTH headphones (Rugged).

Purpose:
Stay connected for safety, as I'm usually out of cell range when I wreck my OHV/ATV/Harley

Requested permission for a few towers near me (Private/Open). Is there a sticky thread that I should get familiar with based on my small setup? Also if you are in the Verrado/Buckeye area HMU. I know Jack and $h*#, and Jack just left town. I will also take Youtube videos for great information use of these radios.

Thank you in advance.

Hi. Just got my call a few days ago. WSDF270. Also KO4DNI. Been interested in GMRS for awhile. Finally decided to get the license since it's taking the YL some time getting her amateur license. I figured this could be helpful for us on our camping, kayaking and fishing adventures and be legal since we often get separated. I've found some repeaters kinda close to where we're going to be on our upcoming trip. Hopefully we will make a few contacts out there. Thanks for having me 

18 hours ago, BigBangMachine said:

Thanks for having me.  Just a UTV Overlander west of Phoenix, that likes to explore. 

Equipment:
2 Rugged radio Handheld GMRS 2+. I patch into my buggy antenna to my mounted handheld that's connected to some BTH headphones (Rugged).

Purpose:
Stay connected for safety, as I'm usually out of cell range when I wreck my OHV/ATV/Harley

Requested permission for a few towers near me (Private/Open). Is there a sticky thread that I should get familiar with based on my small setup? Also if you are in the Verrado/Buckeye area HMU. I know Jack and $h*#, and Jack just left town. I will also take Youtube videos for great information use of these radios.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome!  
Look for YouTube videos on the Notarubicon channel.  His channel has presented more GMRS information than any other that I know of.  
Hopefully, some members from your area will comment also.

8 hours ago, WSDF270 said:

Hi. Just got my call a few days ago. WSDF270. Also KO4DNI. Been interested in GMRS for awhile. Finally decided to get the license since it's taking the YL some time getting her amateur license. I figured this could be helpful for us on our camping, kayaking and fishing adventures and be legal since we often get separated. I've found some repeaters kinda close to where we're going to be on our upcoming trip. Hopefully we will make a few contacts out there. Thanks for having me 

Welcome!

and 73 de AI7KS.

19 hours ago, BigBangMachine said:

Purpose:

And as we know, that is WHEN and not IF, LOL. 

We use GMRS here in MN when going off road at the OHV parks and/or off exploring logging and forest roads up north. Cell service is spotty out there. A lot of us use channel 7 in group runs, as well as channel 16.  Also good that there's a couple repeaters with good coverage near a couple of the OHV Parks.  Nothing to worry the Moab crowd about, but definately some good rock crawling to be had here, although that's not my bag as I run my daily driver.

Have fun, stay safe and SEND IT!

9 hours ago, WSDF270 said:

Welcome aboard.  I'm a bit in the same boat as far as the XYL goes, except she will never get an amateur license, absolutely zero interest in most any facet of the radio hobbies I engage in.  But when we're way up north and there's no cellphones, she will use the GMRS radios. Work well for cabin to boat calls, and other such things. She also has started using them here in town around the house, beats yelling across the yard!  As I just got a new mobile rig, the old one is going into service as a base at the house, and the older Midland MXT275 will be thrown in her car.

Enjoy, and best regards

Dave  WRJG283/N0TXW