Tx failure on repeater 550 (BTECH GMRS-50X1)

thames

Question

I just received my BTECH GMRS-50X1 and I am having issues communicating with my local repeater. Hoping I could get some advice here from the folks that have this newly release radio. Here are the symptoms and configs...

My local repeater is on 550 @ xxx.0Mhz Tone in/out

Config: Channel 27 is set to 462.550 (offset is set by factory default to +5.000)

T-CTC is xxx.0

R-CTC is xxx.0

When I transmit to 462.550 I see the radio go from 462.550 to 467.550 when PTT is keyed. I see 'DeC:xxx.0' below the channel quadrants. My local repeater has a courtesy tone but I do not receive the courtesy tone when I Tx to it although I do hear traffic when people are active. My SWR with the 50X1 is 1.15 to 1.2. What's interesting is that I am able to hit this 550 repeater with my MXT400 using the same antenna and setup with no problems and a low SWR (1.15). I am also able to hit another repeater on 650 with the 50X1 successfully and hear the courtesy tone and was able to make contacts. This leaves me to believe the unit is programmed wrong or defective...

Additionally I am seeing that settings may not be storing correctly. See the videos below of me attempting to troubleshoot with BTECH support and the weird config storing issue. (I tried my truck antenna and home base antenna which both worth flawlessly with the MXT400)

Factory Reset and reconfigure per instructions from support: https://youtu.be/E2uHXAyBnP4

Setting Storing Issue: https://youtu.be/ovlJnxGSQHg

Any advice is appreciated!

20 answers to this question

I owned this radio for a few weeks.  I believe yours is defective.  You are doing everything correctly.  Before you send it back for an exchange, have you tried programing the radio with the CHIRP software?

Thanks for the reply. I did use Chirp and still had the same issue. I will be returning for a replacement. If I get another bad unit I'll be looking for a different radio... 

I noticed that in the first video, the DEC is not set.  DEC stand for Decode and ENC stands for Encode.  This describes that you are encoding a DPL code into the signal when you transmit, or you are asking that your squelch only opens when it detect an encoded signal, i.e. decoding the signal to open the squelch.

If you are not decoding, meaning DEC is blank and not set, that means you will hear all stations instead of selective stations.  If the repeater was tripped, you would have heard it no matter what.

Also, in the same video, when you transmit, the DEC changes to ENC and shows the proper code you programed.  This indicates that either the DPL encoder on the radio is broken or you possibly have the incorrect code.  The best way to test this is to get your MXT400, set it to receive on a channel with a DPL set.  Set both encode and decode on the BTech and key up the BTech.  Even without an antenna, the MXT400 just a few feet away, should hear the signal and open its squelch.  Don't try to transmit with no antenna connected to any radio.

Though, even if it works, there is something funky going on in the menu that has me concerned. 

I noticed that in the first video, the DEC is not set.  DEC stand for Decode and ENC stands for Encode.  This describes that you are encoding a DPL code into the signal when you transmit, or you are asking that your squelch only opens when it detect an encoded signal, i.e. decoding the signal to open the squelch.

If you are not decoding, meaning DEC is blank and not set, that means you will hear all stations instead of selective stations.  If the repeater was tripped, you would have heard it no matter what.

Also, in the same video, when you transmit, the DEC changes to ENC and shows the proper code you programed.  This indicates that either the DPL encoder on the radio is broken or you possibly have the incorrect code.  The best way to test this is to get your MXT400, set it to receive on a channel with a DPL set.  Set both encode and decode on the BTech and key up the BTech.  Even without an antenna, the MXT400 just a few feet away, should hear the signal and open its squelch.  Don't try to transmit with no antenna connected to any radio.

Though, even if it works, there is something funky going on in the menu that has me concerned. 

Just tried what you suggested. The MXT400 did not open squelch. Hopefully the new unit works out when it arrives...

Just tried what you suggested. The MXT400 did not open squelch. Hopefully the new unit works out when it arrives...

Okay... so, sounds like you have a defective radio. 

BTech / Baofeng folks at the SD location are good people.  They should be able to take good care of you.  They do care about the customer experience, which is pretty cool.  I had a problem with a radio that I returned and they snail mailed and apology letter to my house.

Please keep us up to date... and welcome to MyGMRS.com!

Okay... so, sounds like you have a defective radio. 

BTech / Baofeng folks at the SD location are good people.  They should be able to take good care of you.  They do care about the customer experience, which is pretty cool.  I had a problem with a radio that I returned and they snail mailed and apology letter to my house.

Please keep us up to date... and welcome to MyGMRS.com!

I have seen 3 of these radios, one with this issue, the TX frequency was so far off the repeater ignored it. These radios seem to be hit and miss with quality and the components do not match from unit to unit.

Corey

I have seen 3 of these radios, one with this issue, the TX frequency was so far off the repeater ignored it. These radios seem to be hit and miss with quality and the components do not match from unit to unit.

Corey

I just said the import agent has great customer service, not a good product. LoL

In all seriousness though, what you're saying does not surprised me at all. I had two 50x2's do the same thing. Not a fan.

...BTech / Baofeng folks at the SD location are good people.  They should be able to take good care of you.  They do care about the customer experience, which is pretty cool...

I have also found them to be very customer oriented. I bought a couple of GMRS-v1s for our CERT group to try out and had to return one. However, they did one thing I found slightly disturbing. Apparently the owner(s) is/are very religious and they included religious materials in the packaging for my replacement radio.. People are well entitled to their beliefs, whatever they may be. But, I wish they would not take advantage of a business relationship to proselytize those beliefs.

I have also found them to be very customer oriented. I bought a couple of GMRS-v1s for our CERT group to try out and had to return one. However, they did one thing I found slightly disturbing. Apparently the owner(s) is/are very religious and they included religious materials in the packaging for my replacement radio.. People are well entitled to their beliefs, whatever they may be. But, I wish they would not take advantage of a business relationship to proselytize those beliefs.

That's a shame, thanks for letting me know.

You don't have to read it. 

You don't have to read it.

Of ourse I don’t. But, that was not my point. I do not think a simple business relationship gives someone the right to engage their customers in a religious discussion. BTW, I would feel the same even if I held the same religious views as them, which, for all you know, I might.

Of ourse I don’t. But, that was not my point. I do not think a simple business relationship gives someone the right to engage their customers in a religious discussion. BTW, I would feel the same even if I held the same religious views as them, which, for all you know, I might.

His business, his choice. You don't have to read it, or do business with him. And he didn't engage you in a discussion. You were not compelled to read it, or reply to it. Much ado about nothing. 

His business, his choice.. You don't have to read it, or do business with him.... ...Much ado about nothing. 

It was really a minor issue that I noted for other potential customers and I have already made my decision about doing business with them in the future.  Since at least one other reader found this information useful, I'd say It is you that is making the ado about nothing

EDIT: I might add, if you don't like my post: My post, my choice. You don't have to read it, or do business with me. And I didn't engage you in a discussion. You were not compelled to read it, or reply to it.

The amazing part of this is that Btech is connected to Bao Fung, a company in Communist China, (not a country noted for religous tolerance). Given this, Kudos to Btech.

I am not supporting their religous beliefs but I do support their willingness to voice them given the company's country of orgin.

I have just purchased one of these radios and, in general, I like a lot of the features.  However, the tx audio is quite poor.  Very bass-y, muffled and difficult to understand.  Not crisp at all.  I am wondering if I got a mic with a defective element.  Do all of you get poor transmit audio, or is it just me?  Thanks.  Randy Knowles, KAA 8142.