Midland GMRS Product updates

russwbrill

I found the information on the Facebook group. He is located on the Pasco County GMRS Radio Group.   What I mean is the MXT-400 from the factory are at transmitting at 12.5khz, you can change them to a band within GMRS like 20khz. You can name each channel. Custom start message such as your call sign, Programming of split CTCSS/ DPL.

OK I went to the link. From the discussion, it seems the RX bandwidth might be adjustable from the "Channel spacing" setting. However there is no indication that the TX modulation increases. It would be odd that Midland would be freely releasing software to violate the FCC type acceptance of this radio.  If it works, then that is great. But Caveat Emptor".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1729729127079590/

I found the information on the Facebook group. He is located on the Pasco County GMRS Radio Group.   What I mean is the MXT-400 from the factory are at transmitting at 12.5khz, you can change them to a band within GMRS like 20khz. You can name each channel. Custom start message such as your call sign, Programming of split CTCSS/ DPL.

If the reason that most people get the Midland is because they want an "out of the box, Part 95 legal radio" - then opening up the radio to a 25 kHz bandwidth (which the Midland isn't type accepted for) kind of kills the whole rational they started with. Might as well have gotten something like a part 90 radio that actually did 25 kHz right from the start, and saved the time & trouble. It would be just as legal (maybe more), half the price, and work twice as well.

Thanks for the additional information and the link. It seems there is a lot unsaid here. First of all, is use of the software by consumers even authorized? If it would allow the customer to set the radio to operate in a manner inconsistent with Part-95E.  

In trying to answer this question, I returned to a post from @Hans in 2018 in a discussion which suggests the MXT400 is really a Luiton LT-590 with modified settings for GMRS certification.  With the Midland software already installed, I then downloaded the Luiton software. And guess what, they seem to be essentially the same, with some functionality removed from the MXT400 version. One difference is the Luiton version includes help files. So, I was able to determine that the two settings of the most interest were defined as:

STEP = For scanning purposes, the change in frequency between activity checks. (Many options between 5kHz and 50kHz)

CHANNEL SPACING  = occupied bandwidth (narrow or wide): 12.5, 20 & 25 kHz

A few other observations:

• I noticed PL tone 69.3 is still missing, I did not check for other missing tones/codes
  • There is a compander option which might help when talking Wide to Narrow band.
  • There is an option for voice scrambling, but it is disabled (and not allowed in GMRS)
  • There is an Optional Signaling option that is also disabled (DTMF,  2TONE & 5Tone)

So, all in all I say there are two significant learnings here:

1. The major limitations of the MXT400 (bandwidth and split PL) can be overcome.
  2. Any doubt that the MXT400 is a Luiton LT-590 on Prosac have been removed.

BTW, I have no way of testing to see if the Luiton software will work on the Midland radio. But, I doubt it.

For those who want to pursue this topic, here are a few key links from the Facebook posts

MXT400 Programming software: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lre3ljgt4nopf6/MXT400_Setup_1.05.zip?dl=1

Programming Cables. Original from Midland: https://midlandusa.com/product/dbr1-dual-band-radio-programming-cable/?fbclid=IwAR1Z-VbLD401AXmbUuGRHVHQFGKjURlY-MC709t1deGnfTDUPZQUGbPpyxI

and a general purpose cable is available from: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6S2P59/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_tHfaFbXQ51QZK

I apologize for not being able to explain all of the intricacies in the proper technical terms, I am a newbie and am still trying to learn GMRS.

I just thought after reading about all the pitfalls of the MXT 400, that the information would prove beneficial if anyone would want to try and correct the problems inherent from the factory on the Midland MXT-400.  

The Luiton LT-590 is also available from TYT as the TYT TH-9000d, a Part 90 UHF radio. ...

It is interesting that note the LT-590 and TH-9000(d) UHF versions are not available on Amazon and it is unknown if they will become available. OTOH, There is a  Retevis RT-9000D That appears to be almost identical to the TH-9000d and is in-stock.  I mention the availability of the two Bond Telecom brands (Luiton and TYT) because it may hint at an upcoming change in the MXT400. In fact, the Retevis version may represent close-out stock that they purchased from Bond Telecom.  Also, FWIW, the Retivis-9000D programming software appears to be the same as the LT-590.

Also, just wondering if anyone here has tried to program their MXT400? I am sure there are a lot of interested people waiting to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

@berkinet, did you pull the trigger on the Retevis?...

Sorry if I implied I might buy - I am overstocked with radios at the moment.  However, at the price, I can't imagine you'd be unhappy. The reviews sound good and buying through Amazon would give you 30 days to return.  You may not be able to use CHIRP. The RT-9000D is not listed and neither is the Luiton equivalent. However, the TYT TH-9000 is supported... good luck.

• 1 month later...

The MXT400 can be programmed with the MXT400 Programming software only! The Midland firmware on their software locks you out of anything on CHIRP.

1. You can change from FMN narrow 12.5KHz to FM wide 20KHz or 25KHz. NOTE: 25KHz not legal on gmrs anymore.

2.  You can add on CH8 thru CH13  7 of your own programs. The other frequencies you will find are locked on all other channels.

3. You can use different receive and transmit CTCSS/DCS on each channel. You are no longer locked to just one send and receive!!

MXT400 Programming software:  https://www.dropbox....p_1.05.zip?dl=1

CABLE: USB to 3.5mm stereo connection programming cable :https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/USB-29A-Programming-Cable_p_748.html

good luck / works for me

Jay  WQRE838

Who wrote the software?

I covered this topic on another thread. I downloaded the software, and ran it in a VM. It looks like it is written by the same OEM company that manufactures the MXT400 for Midland.  Of course, that is not to say the copy on Dropbox is safe. But, if you use a VM (VirtualBox works fine, and is free) you don't really have to worry7.

• 3 weeks later...

So, any update on this?

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a Midland MXT400 to use as a base, but don't want to do it unless I can be sure I can change it to WB and use dual separate (in-out) tones for repeaters.  Can anyone report successfully programming this with above mentioned software and cable?

I was thinking i would wait for a new version of the MXT4XX with both of the above features, and also with the 10 WX channel scan feature, but no one seems to know when Midland will release such an animal.

So, any update on this?

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a Midland MXT400 to use as a base, but don't want to do it unless I can be sure I can change it to WB and use dual separate (in-out) tones for repeaters.  Can anyone report successfully programming this with above mentioned software and cable?...

Did you miss my post from 24-August? There is software that will do what you want and someone on MyGMRS (I can't find the post at the moment) has reported that it worked. However, as @marcspaz has pointed out in another thread, changing the radio from narrowband to wideband would void the GMRS certification. (Changing the PL settings would apparently be ok). So, if you were going to do that you might as well just buy the exact same radio without GMRS certification, as sold by vendors mentioned in the thread I linked to previously.

Did you miss my post from 24-August? There is software that will do what you want and someone on MyGMRS (I can't find the post at the moment) has reported that it worked. However, as @marcspaz has pointed out in another thread, changing the radio from narrowband to wideband would void the GMRS certification. (Changing the PL settings would apparently be ok). So, if you were going to do that you might as well just buy the exact same radio without GMRS certification, as sold by vendors mention in the thread I linked to previously.

Well, I didn't miss the post, but I surely misunderstood it (I thought it was said the reprogramming was possible, but I didn't pickup that someone had actually done it successfully and tested it).  I had read somewhere (either on Midland's site or in the MXT400 manual) that the programming jack on the MXT400 "was not used".

Anyway, I didn't realize changing to WB would void the certification.  I don't want to do that.  I want to stay all legal (that's why I got my license) even though I could probably get away with no license and a non-certified GMRS rig.

Thanks for that reply for sure.  I am new here and want to learn everything I can and get the best legal setup available to me.

I see the data port, but the Midland plug does not seem to be that type. The generic cord on Amazon is an octopus. How would I know which of the 3 or 4 that have the correct plug diameter is the correct one if it is this port?

just search for: USB-29A Interface Cable: USB to 3.5MM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk