Midland GMRS Product updates

russwbrill

Would be awesome if they moved the manufacturing back to the USA... but I won't hold my hopes very high...

Back to the USA?  I don't think Midland ever had anything made here in the first place.  ..but yes,it would be nice if ANY consumer electronics company made products in the USA.... really MADE products here, not just assembled from Asian modules.

I've reached out to my reps at Midland and they said nothing new in the Spring, and nothing to announce for later in the year yet. I think any plans they had are put on hold because of the pandemic. I'd expect something out by Q1 2021 realistically.

Hey Rich,

Anything new with the added features in the next 12 months would be nice.. And that Q & A tells us Midland has been listening to their customers!

Russ

Any possibility they could do a firmware update using the data port on the radios like the mxt400? It would make the most sense to current owners.

Its unlikely flashing existing hardware will be an option. The electronic components used to make filters are designed for narrow use and may not be tuned properly for just a reflash.

Think of it like a car on the highway. If you have a car that can travel at 200mph and the speed limit is raised to 200mph, you're good to go. However, if your car has a top speed of 80... it doesn't matter how high the speed limit is. You would have to re-engineer the car to go faster.

Its unlikely flashing existing hardware will be an option. The electronic components used to make filters are designed for narrow use and may not be tuned properly for just a reflash.

Think of it like a car on the highway. If you have a car that can travel at 200mph and the speed limit is raised to 200mph, you're good to go. However, if your car has a top speed of 80... it doesn't matter how high the speed limit is. You would have to re-engineer the car to go faster.

I'm not sure, really the only thing that would need much changing is control logic.  Sure, you'd be limited to the power your final amp is good for, but you could get some nice quality-of-life features like two repeaters on one frequency, at least without soldering (if they picked capable enough microcontrollers, at least).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm somewhat of a newbie, and I'm considering getting either the mxt115 or mxt275 and I can see the advantage that the 275 has with the integrated controls on the handset. Why would anyone choose the 115? It costs the same and has pretty much the same specs except that all the controls are on the base unit. Am I missing something? Can anyone who's had experience with both, tell me what advantage that the 115 has over the 275?

Has anyone used any of the Midland repeater capable gmrs radios with a repeater?  If so, how do they perform?

I have.  They're ... adequate.  When I have coverage, it'll take the radio from one end of the island to the other, where simplex is completely out of the question.

Has anyone used any of the Midland repeater capable gmrs radios with a repeater?  If so, how do they perform?

Several members here have done so. Search the forums for reports. There seem to be three issues that are commonly reported and which may, or may not, be important to you.

1. The Midland radios operate on narrow-band FM while most repeaters operate on wide-band FM. This tends to result in the Midland's broadcasts being heard at a lower volume by listeners.
  2. The Midland radios must use the same tone or digital squelch on transmit and receive. So, if you have a repeater that uses different schema on transmit and receive, you will not be able to easily use the repeater.
  3. The Midland is missing a small number of PL tones. If a repeater requires one of those tones, you will not be able to access it.

Again, I suggest you search the forum for reports and to determine if these issues are significant for your planned usage. And, note also, the built-in search feature tends to miss things. I'd suggest doing a google search for something like:

site:forums.mygmrs.com midland review repeater

Several members here have done so. Search the forums for reports. There seem to be three issues that are commonly reported and which may, or may not, be important to you.

1. The Midland radios operate on narrow-band FM while most repeaters operate on wide-band FM. This tends to result in the Midland's broadcasts being heard at a lower volume by listeners.
  2. The Midland radios must use the same tone or digital squelch on transmit and receive. So, if you have a repeater that uses different schema on transmit and receive, you will not be able to easily use the repeater.
  3. The Midland is missing a small number of PL tones. If a repeater requires one of those tones, you will not be able to access it.

Again, I suggest you search the forum for reports and to determine if these issues are significant for your planned usage. And, note also, the built-in search feature tends to miss things. I'd suggest doing a google search for something like:

site:forums.mygmrs.com midland review repeater

Thanks! That's very helpful information. I'll search the threads.

Hopefully Midland can address some of those inadequacies in future versions.

• 1 month later...

I have read on another Forum where if you order the DBR1 cable directly from Midland, and then contact them and tell them you need a copy of the Programming software for ONLY the Midland MXT 400, that you can open the software up and make it split and open up the band for the repeater channels. His name is John Whitt. He talked to a man named Roger at Midland and he emailed a Zip file with the software, so maybe there is help for at least the Midland MXT-400.

...you can open the software up and make it split and open up the band for the repeater channels. ...

That is an interesting report. Unfortunately, I am not really sure what it is you are describing.  I am guessing when you say make it split, you mean use different PL tones on transmit and receive. But, I am unclear about open up the band.  If this were to allow reception from frequencies outside of GMRS, that would make sense. However, if it means allow transmitting on frequencies outside of GMRS, that would certainly nullify the Part95 certification, one of the major benefits of the radio.

So, more information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What Midland ought to do is concede that their narrow band radios are a mistake and release a new model that will properly do wide-band. Add 8 WB repeater pairs 23-30 . They could also do it through the menu and make the RP light flash when WB mode is selected. WB then could apply to all the GMRS channels, simplex or repeater.

The question is, do they have a WB filter in the RX path? If it is SDR then it is math unless it is burned into a chip. Then you have that pesky modulation fidelity to be optimized for 16K0F3E. Not sure they can properly do 11K0F3E now.