Phantom vs 1/4 wave

8nannyfoe

So, I finally got approval to drill a hole for a hard mount antenna.  ONE small caveat to the deal.  It must be covert as possible.  My wife said theres no way I will be installing the Midland 6db antenna on top of the car.   (something about a remote control looking car bla bla blah...LOL).   So I found the tiny 1/4 wave antenna and a phantom antenna.   The wife said that one will look like I left a soda can on the roof but still says its ok.   SO, which one is better?    I will be pushing 50watts on my new Wouxon :D .   The main reason I ask is I read a comment that someone said the phantom antennas are glorified dummy loads!!   Yowza!  I don't want that!   But its claims 3db gain?  Could I get some real world range examples and feedback on both the phantom antenna and the 1/4 wave stubby please.   

(to give an idea of my local terrain, I am flat here in Florida and live in a fairly populated SW Florida area with plenty of cinderblock single story homes.   My current antenna is the tiny stock antenna that came with my Midland 105.   I get an average of about 2 miles RX/TX to another identical rig.   4 miles to my "home base" set up with a Laird antenna.

So, I finally got approval to drill a hole for a hard mount antenna.  ONE small caveat to the deal.  It must be covert as possible.  My wife said theres no way I will be installing the Midland 6db antenna on top of the car.   (something about a remote control looking car bla bla blah...LOL).   So I found the tiny 1/4 wave antenna and a phantom antenna.   The wife said that one will look like I left a soda can on the roof but still says its ok.   SO, which one is better?    I will be pushing 50watts on my new Wouxon :D .   The main reason I ask is I read a comment that someone said the phantom antennas are glorified dummy loads!!   Yowza!  I don't want that!   But its claims 3db gain?  Could I get some real world range examples and feedback on both the phantom antenna and the 1/4 wave stubby please.   

(to give an idea of my local terrain, I am flat here in Florida and live in a fairly populated SW Florida area with plenty of cinderblock single story homes.   My current antenna is the tiny stock antenna that came with my Midland 105.   I get an average of about 2 miles RX/TX to another identical rig.   4 miles to my "home base" set up with a Laird antenna.

Please report if you do try one. Because of a changed mounting location we can't attribute the performance completely to the Laird Phantom but there was a decrease in communication distance once installed on my friend's vehicle compared to the tiny mag mount his mxt275 came with.  The MNO mount make it an easy swap when the wife isn't looking...

How's about a fold over or a cap. You put the antenna when you have the car. Take it off when she has it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Interesting.   A fold over will outperform both of the options I gave?   Never thought of that, but honestly, I don't think she would want that anyway, just more of a data point I'm interested in.  The cap is not gonna be something I would do as I dont  want to be climbing on the roof that often.   Open to other options also!!   keep em coming!

I had big gains going from a 1/⁴ to 1/2. Looking at fold over super gainers now. You have to note that a puck antenna if it doesn't clear a roof rack, is going to be a poor performer.

You never said on what type of car this would be going on.. I would think a ⁵/8 on a hatch mount would work better.

I had big gains going from a 1/⁴ to 1/2. Looking at fold over super gainers now. You have to note that a puck antenna if it doesn't clear a roof rack, is going to be a poor performer.

You never said on what type of car this would be going on.. I would think a ⁵/8 on a hatch mount would work better.

Hmm....so the hatch mount would mount near the bumper (lower) portion of the hatch?   Would be pretty low and have alot of "null area" blocked by the body of the car?   I actually like this idea though if it would outperform the 1/4 wave or Phantom.   Yes, the puck style has many bad reviews so I never considered them. 

I've punched a hole in my truck roof long ago. (It's tall enough that my wife can't see it) I'm currently running a Laird 1/4 wave but was considering the Laird 5/8 wave. I'm guessing the transmit performance will improve. Can I expect any better reception? reception?

Went from a 1/4 magnet to 5/8 drill nmo.

Yes, you will get improved transmit. You may be shocked at the reception difference as well.

Just keep loading coils and such in unobstructed locations. That alone then make a huge difference.

Edited: plus you get the join our club. Where your antenna starts making music as it walks things.

Went from a 1/4 magnet to 5/8 drill nmo.

Yes, you will get improved transmit. You may be shocked at the reception difference as well.

Just keep loading coils and such in unobstructed locations. That alone then make a huge difference.

Edited: plus you get the join our club. Where your antenna starts making music as it walks things.

For those that don't know..... From Reddit.

A song from an antenna: