Base Station

trickpony

I have a small problem, I live in the middle of nowhere. The animas valley to be exact in a place called windmill. I have a Midland mxt115 with a 3db stubby antenna in my truck the problem is if I want to talk outside of the area I have to hope the weather is right in order to reach the repeater which is line of site 43 miles I know this is right because I have connected to the repeater "jack's peak" and talk to tucson and Abq. I want to set up a base station and be able to connect to the repeater to talk to other people without having to rely so much and the right weather conditions any Ideas as to the type of antenna i should get. and maybe a good suggestion on a radio. any help would be appreciated.

thanks 

Rick

WRKB393

If you want to place stationary antenna at home, something like this should work (since you already confirmed you can connect with mag mount):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-BR-6356-UHF-450-470-MHz-Yagi-Antenna-N-Female-100-watts/222872296126?hash=item33e4395abe:g:UOMAAOSwMEBaoG7e

Actually, since you can connect with mag mount on the roof your truck, the simple unity gain antenna on the 10' - 20' mast above the roof of your house might be just fine. I used BR-6140 with great success:

https://www.newegg.com/p/050-009P-00017?Description=BR-6140&cm_re=BR-6140-_-050-009P-00017-_-Product&quicklink=true

You might try an Arrow beam made for the 70cm/440 ham band. 

They make some very high gain antennas.

I have the moon bounce portable beam that I bought for my 2m/440 ham rig.

You may find other models are better suited to your situation.

I'm sure there are other makes as well.

I guess the main point is that there is a lot more available for Ham 440MHz than GMRS and the match is probably good enough or tunable.

My 440 mag mount antennas match pretty good on GMRS but I'm not sure if the beams are more critical.

So do a little home work first.

Vince

• 5 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, trickpony said:

I have a small problem, I live in the middle of nowhere. The animas valley to be exact in a place called windmill. I have a Midland mxt115 with a 3db stubby antenna in my truck the problem is if I want to talk outside of the area I have to hope the weather is right in order to reach the repeater which is line of site 43 miles I know this is right because I have connected to the repeater "jack's peak" and talk to tucson and Abq. I want to set up a base station and be able to connect to the repeater to talk to other people without having to rely so much and the right weather conditions any Ideas as to the type of antenna i should get. and maybe a good suggestion on a radio. any help would be appreciated.

thanks 

Rick

WRKB393

Make yourself a dipole!  Two wires some solder and a SO239 connector!  Or you can use aluminum tubing or copper tubing as well.  I am going to make one out of tubing because I have no trees to string wires up in.  I have a small dipole stapled to the outside of my shop currently being used as a scanner antenna that resonates really well on the 470mhz band, though no repeaters in my area, maybe 70 miles or so is the nearest.