GMRS for beginners

Doctnj

Question

So as you can see I am brand spanking new to gmrs.  In fact I dont have everything yet just placing some orders to get started.  Besides the military, I havent been on radios since the CB craze in the 70s.  I didnt even know this format existed and Im almost sure not many do.  Ive been reading what ever I come across that seems to be pertinent to my situation and set up.  However there is a ton of stuff that is confusing as hell.  I will try to keep this short and to a point.  My HT s I just received are kg-805g and my mobile / base radio (will pull out of truck and use in house) is kg-1000g which is back ordered.  

Is there a book that I could read covering repeaters, how they work and how to use them?  I get the idea in general receive on one freq and brodcast on another.  But then people start saying "tone" for this or that and then Im lost.  I live in a very small town fairly far from any large city but there is a repeater just close enough I think I may be able to hit it.  Wont know till I know.  It wont be the end of the world if I cant talk to anyone except local.  I dont always stay home

My second and last question for now is "programming"  I see a disk being sold with a programming cord.  First I dont know what I would even need a programming cable for and I havent had a computer with a cd deck on it in years.

hope this is the right place to ask these questions. 

8 answers to this question

I have a few KG-805Gs, and you really dont need to use a computer to program them.. The user-guide shows how to easily do everything right on the radio - the only thing you would need to change (usually) would be adding a tone for a repeater, which generally takes about 20 seconds after you know how to do it, or adding a name/label to a channel, which takes 45 seconds.  Using the software makes it easier, but I dont bother.

As for using (GMRS) repeaters, this video might help:  

So...on tones...ctcss is more common, and usually expressed in hz, almost always with a decimal. 141.3 hz is a common one. Dcs will be 3 digits, often with a letter N (normal) or I (inverted). Either will get saved on the channel you're using, and these are effectively the "key" into the repeater, working kind of like a filter....signals with the right tone get through, and others are ignored. (If your radio is set with a receive tone of 141.3 hz, you'll only hear signals from someone using 141.3 hz as a transmit tone, for example)

On programming (disc and cable), it isn't a necessity, but its useful, especially with one that lets you receive such a wide variety of bands, you may want to add things like local public safety, or pre agreed presets (channel/tone) to use with family. At least on the kg1000g, you can likely accomplish the same manually via the menus (not 100% on that, but others that own one may be able to confirm). 

Hope this gives a little bit of clarity.

A repeater station consists of two separate units. One is a receiver connected to the second, the transmitter. Repeaters operate on two frequencies ("Channels") which are paired and referred to as a repeater pair. Each of the frequencies of the pair can use a subaudible or digital tone. A receive tone opens the receiver and connects its output to the transmitter causing the received intelligence to be sent or repeated over the other half of the frequency pair. The transmit portion of the repeater can also be configured to send a tone. The tone sent by the transmitter does not have to be the same as the receive tone. If a different tone is used, then the repeater is said to be using split tones.

I'm not like most people that ease into things.  A couple weeks ago I learned about this stuff and now I'm working off a list to get everything to get up and running. Just want to have another form of coms in case my cell phone stops working for some reason :)

Doctnj, welcome to the community... you have heard from some of the best and helpful folks to us newbie (was Nov 2020 for me).  Send me a PM message if you just want to talk so you get all this good info you have into perspective and flow.  GMRS is like the Masons, you have to know the code.  joking so Masons do not come after me...  

If I could make a personal comment... I like GMRS... good group of folks... wanting something more the CB.  I'm taking my Ham Tech test end of May and will hopefully join the next level up to getting a Ham ticket which is more new knowledge which drives me.... BUT all in all I like GMRS the best... and now that I have discovered Zello and have my repeater on it...  I own the world of communicating with some great folks outside of my 20 mile area...

Enjoy this venture and journey, it is great.

Jack