Yagi Antenna, Cable And Gain

WRMG216

I am new to GMRS and trying to get back into the ham hobby. I was involved with CB overseas for many years but when I came back to the U.S. everything has changed including my memory. ?  I am living in an association and or course antennas are not permitted. (Let's leave it at that). I am up in Farmington MN and there is a repeater about 2 miles as the crow flies in an open direction on the side of my house that my deck is on. I currently have a Wouxun KG-805G that won't reach the repeater from my basement window even though its a straight shot to the repeater. I just ordered a Midland MXT-400 for my truck but would like to base-station it until I can get my hands on a KG-1000G. I want to try and put up an antenna, on my deck, that is so low to the rail that it is very hard to see so that the association won't complain. I was thinking of a small yagi antenna to point at the repeater and would like to hear your opinions please. I chose the yagi for the gain and small size. Also, If I had to run 50 foot of cable what would be your recommendation for cable. Many thanks! WRMG216.

As height is king, have you thought of an attic install? A yagi would probably work, but if it's on your patio (and I'm assuming you have a house) you could also do a roof mount with an antenna inside a piece of PVC pipe secured to a vent pipe. You might also get by with a deck mounted vertical inside PVC again near te side of the house with the pipe matching your siding color.

A basic GMRS antenna can easily be disguised as something other than an antenna. If you use an antenna without ground plane radials it will be nothing more than stick. Imagine an outdoor planter with an antenna in it and surrounded by real or artificial plant material. Or imagine a bird feeder pole with bird feeder and an non-ground plane antenna on top painted the same color as the bird-feeder pole. An Ed Fong rollup antenna or one of his versions that goes in PVC pipe are options also. Both easy to disguise.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Michael and Alex. The bird house feeder was exactly what I had in mind with an antenna sticking out however I was concerned about a ground plane. How could I possibly get antenna cable in the house without damaging my window frames? 

There are some commercial products available that I have seen but have no links for you. I opted not to spend money for one since my current shack location is temporary, instead I made one. Here is what I am using currently.

a2676716e771c30f21121e3317077e54.jpg
I have a treated 2x4 cut to fit into the same track used by the inner panel of my double hung window. I drilled a hole large enough for cable and connector to pass through. I applied weather seal foam to all edges of the 2x4 so that when I press it into the track and lower the inner window panel down I compress the foam to seal against air leaks. I cut two vertical pieces of 1x wood stock wood (not shown) to wedge the bottom pain down and top panel up so that so that the window cannot be opened from outside. The gap between the coax and wood panel is filled with a piece of foam pipe insulation I pressed into place. I am sealed now as good or better than the window was originally. All of this was non destructively to the window and can easily be removed from the inside. I will also be adding more holes for additional feed-lines to additional antennas soon.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

You shouldn't need much of an antenna if the height is reasonable (like attic or second story)  I reach a repeater 12 miles away with my 805G and a Smiley super stick or Nagoya 771.   I think just a plain vertical in the attic would be great.

Arrow Antennas makes some portable take-down Yagis for Ham 70cm and I use mine on the 805G and it works fine.  The match on GMRS is fine.    It has huge gain... maybe too much... or too narrow.  One of their antennas may interest you.  Ham Radio outlet carries some of the Arrow antennas. 

Vince