Jump to content
  • 0

Can the Woxsun KG-905G be configured for mobile operations in a car?


ELVAQUERO75
 Share

Question

I am interested in purchasing the Woxsun KG-905G as my primary handheld GRMS radio. However, I have not read if the KG-905G can be configured for mobile operations in a car. If this radio is configurable for mobile operations, then please recommend antennas, antenna mount and cable to configure the KG-905G for mobile operations. I appreciate your comments and  guidance. Thank you. Michael 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

just about any HT can be used as a mobile, all u need is a good antenna and a battery eliminator. im doing exactly that right now, i use a nagoya nl-770g  https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-nl-770g.html 

with the nagoya mag mount base, the base already has the coax so no need to get anymore.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-rb-mjpl.html

other thing i would do is get a speaker microphone, and make sure u get one capable of dual ptt since the 905g can do it. if u would like a little more power u can add a amp. the btech amp u-25 is 40 watts and would make you a full power mobile out of a HT.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
I am interested in purchasing the Woxsun KG-905G as my primary handheld GRMS radio. However, I have not read if the KG-905G can be configured for mobile operations in a car. If this radio is configurable for mobile operations, then please recommend antennas, antenna mount and cable to configure the KG-905G for mobile operations. I appreciate your comments and  guidance. Thank you. Michael 

Hello Michael and welcome to myGMRS.

You most certainly can use the KG-905G in a car. In fact any HT that supports use of an external antenna can be used in a vehicle.

You can use it with its internal battery or you can use it with the available battery eliminator (https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-elo-005.html).

I use a Midland MXTA-26 antenna and MXT-12 mag mount in my vehicle and it works excellent for my needs.

I also use an SMO-02 speaker mic, which makes for safer use of the radio safer while driving.

For my convenience, I have added a BNC connector to the radio, a 90-degree BNC adapter plus a short adapter cable for connecting the radio to the end of the midland antenna cable. All items are readily available from your radio vendor.

Hope this helps.


Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I use my ham mag mount 2M/440 or 2M/70cm antennas.  There is a much greater selection of antennas for ham 70cm and in my experience they work fine on GMRS. Of course you'd want to check SWR but mine have all checked out fine.  Since GMRS is shorter than 70cm you could always trim a little off.   See Ham Radio Outlet.

Ham Radio Outlet also sells SMA-to-BNC or SMA-to-PL259 "pigtail" adapters that have a short section of thin, flexible coax. This is puts less stress on the radio connector and makes it easier to hold.  Another option is to use a right angle adapter to give a better angle. 

I got a really cheap speaker mic from Powerwerx and it works great on my 805. 

Vince

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 5/19/2021 at 9:59 AM, OldRadioGuy said:

I use my ham mag mount 2M/440 or 2M/70cm antennas.  There is a much greater selection of antennas for ham 70cm and in my experience they work fine on GMRS. Of course you'd want to check SWR but mine have all checked out fine.  Since GMRS is shorter than 70cm you could always trim a little off.   See Ham Radio Outlet.

Ham Radio Outlet also sells SMA-to-BNC or SMA-to-PL259 "pigtail" adapters that have a short section of thin, flexible coax. This is puts less stress on the radio connector and makes it easier to hold.  Another option is to use a right angle adapter to give a better angle. 

I got a really cheap speaker mic from Powerwerx and it works great on my 805. 

Vince

Same story here...5/8 over 5/8 tram browning uhf on the truck, with a Midland 115 for gmrs, or I have a sma male to so239 pigtail to use with the handheld ham radios.

Eventually I'll put an actual ham mobile in...have a dual band comet antenna to go up when it happens).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, MacJack said:

Nice so what is the question... Nice install.

Hi MacJack,

The question by OP was if KG-905G can be configured for use in the car as mobile radio, so I showed my set up where I use 905G as mobile radio with battery eliminator and external antenna.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 minutes ago, MozartMan said:

Hi MacJack,

The question by OP was if KG-905G can be configured for use in the car as mobile radio, so I showed my set up where I use 905G as mobile radio with battery eliminator and external antenna.

nice setup, too. 

did you get that so239 to SMA pigtail from amazon?  i tried twice from there, and they got lost en route both times

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
7 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

nice setup, too. 

did you get that so239 to SMA pigtail from amazon?  i tried twice from there, and they got lost en route both times

Yes, I got pigtail from Amazon after I tried just small metal adapter. I didn't like it because antenna cable is too stiff, but pigtail is very flexible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
15 minutes ago, MozartMan said:

Yes, I got pigtail from Amazon after I tried just small metal adapter. I didn't like it because antenna cable is too stiff, but pigtail is very flexible. 

Good deal. I ended up with another with a sma-m on the end that's a little thicker cable; it looks like they call it "3d-fb" now, but it was previously listed as lmr200. It's been invaluable with other radios as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
21 hours ago, MozartMan said:

Hi MacJack,

The question by OP was if KG-905G can be configured for use in the car as mobile radio, so I showed my set up where I use 905G as mobile radio with battery eliminator and external antenna.

Got it...  I was thinking you had a question as I said "nice" seeing if you had a question and I missed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.