Vehicle install

widnerkj

Question

I am trying to plan out which parts to order to install a mobile radio in my truck. It’s a 1999 Silverado. I’m going to punch the hole in the roof for the antenna. I’ve ordered this antenna mount,

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/tram-1258-uhf.html

And I’ll be ordering the Wouxun KG-1000G when it’s available again. That said, what NMO mount antenna are you folks using, or recommend? I do poke around off-roading, and I’m a little worried about mesquite tree limbs breaking the antenna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LScott mentioned it already, but I missed it the first time by...

Diamond Antenna has a motorized mount called the K9000. It comes in a few varieties that I know about: two for luggage racks, and one trunk/lip mount. The ones I saw are about $120 at the ham radio shops... a bit more on Amazon (go figure).

Edited by WyoJoe
added info

8 hours ago, Lscott said:

That looks like how I have my dual band Ham antenna mounted on the Jeep. The difference is mine in on the roof rack cross rails but in about the same location. I need it there so I can quickly, and easily, take the antenna off when having to navigate low overhead clearance areas. My antenna is nearly 60 inches tall by the way. 

The main problem is the antenna height. You really have to watch where you drive. Going through a drive-thru window or parking garage does a nice job of tearing off the antenna or bending it over. Then there is the occasional tree branch strike too.

What a few people have done is use a motorized mount that can lower the antenna. It isn't exactly cheap but does solve problem, mostly. As noted you need to use a ground plane independent antenna.

https://www.diamondantenna.net/k9000lrmo.html

Well then that's it.  I'll have to keep using door dash because I can't go get lunch :). This antenna is so thin you almost don't even realize there is a top half. I tapped a branch on the way to my shooting range so I will have to remember.  I live in the sticks so no parking garages.  Besides when we go anywhere we take wife's car.  Way more comfortable.  Now I just need to get a mag mount and get it on there before she notices. 

On 5/25/2021 at 4:03 PM, widnerkj said:

I am trying to plan out which parts to order to install a mobile radio in my truck. It’s a 1999 Silverado. I’m going to punch the hole in the roof for the antenna. I’ve ordered this antenna mount,

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/tram-1258-uhf.html

And I’ll be ordering the Wouxun KG-1000G when it’s available again. That said, what NMO mount antenna are you folks using, or recommend? I do poke around off-roading, and I’m a little worried about mesquite tree limbs breaking the antenna.

As most of the terrain is fairly flat in AZ I would look at a 1/4 wave stub. I use the Laird QW450 available from a great many retailers.

Datasheet - QW Series Quarterwave Antennas | Laird Connectivity

Ok, short update. Got the radio mounted nicely. Pulled headliner down a little, so I could knock a 3/4” hole, and got everything installed. And I’ve got to admit. This radio is fantastic! I have no trouble hitting the local, and kind of distant repeaters. Radio checks come back loud and clear. The more I use this thing, the more I enjoy it. The 1/4 wave antenna is perfect. No clearance issues on the lifted truck. I mounted the radio where the useless cupholder used to be.

ca085b8976cbfedca0efbcc834294e7d.jpg

7cee63b6b5fdc91526e5a374954605b7.jpg

8f6145f54cadb916ecc01282149e0cdd.jpg

910f03b46691f1c40326de84dad0b1e5.jpg

7cafcd23de4285ca05e79f3e843314de.jpg

fab7abf759a87911b529a52858ef2440.jpg
be2a13ab6d050c7c22d97a6da455a07f.jpg

How do you like the sound quality specifically of that Android head unit?

That could be another thread all together. I did a lot of research into the native android head units, and on the xda developers forums, the ATOTO A6 pro got the best reviews and recommendations. I’ve only used this in several installs now. And I’ll keep with the recommendation on it. There are front, rear, and subwoofer amplifier outputs, so if you need it loud, it’s very easy to get carried away. The internal amp is 30 watts RMS, so it’s more than enough to add volume and clarity to a factory speaker system. Sound quality specifically is absolutely improved over factory sound. The dual Bluetooth, WiFi, and GPS antennas make it seriously capable. Typically, I turn on my phones WiFi hotspot, and run pandora, Waze, google maps, etc... right on my dash. But having access to the google play store, I run an app called Torque pro ($5) that talks to a $12 Bluetooth OBDII adapter, and allows me to generate custom gauges on things the vehicles computer sees. Also scan, and clear check engine lights. I’ve got a dash cam, and a backup camera connected directly to it, and still have 3 available USB ports. I’m a little tempted to try a SWR app and usb dongle on it. But it has given my 1999 Chevrolet more modernization than anything else I could have done.

The KG1000g with the 1/4 wave antenna is working much better than the HT I've been using.  But that goes without saying.  While driving to and from work, I have had no issues with conversations through the Lemmon 650 repeater.  But I'm only 25 miles due south of Tucson, and Lemmon is on top of the mountain.  Also a really powerful machine.  However now, I can use the Tucson 550 machine with little noise for my whole commute.  I've also been able to reach out to the  Sierra Vista, and Benson machines while driving up box canyon.  Dual channel monitoring is a huge plus, with monsoon season starting soon, I'll be able to have the county flash flood alerts on channel 2 while working the repeaters or direct comms on channel 1.  I did follow the advice on the KG1000 tips thread, and made button C scan tones.  Makes it really easy to listen in to the pecan orchards and other local chatter.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:24 PM, serrasalmus said:

ive got a guy i talk to that has the nagoya 771c nmo and he gets great range, now we do live in a mountainous area so the repeaters are usually pretty high. that being said im using the nagoya mag mount that they recommend with the kg1000g and its a banger also. with mine we went wheeling this weekend and it held up great to the trees. two good choices in my book.

how much u charge me to bring me some of them there wonder branches you be talking bout! I miss bbqing with raw mesquite logs instead of this chip bs im stuck with now......

I bought the 771 and my SWR is astronomical!!!  He must have trimmed it..

@widnerkj: Your install pics are great! Wow, you took the plunge and installed on the roof. I have an old Subaru, I was thinking of doing this, but I gave it a second thought. However, now that I see you did so successfully...I still wont install on the antenna on the roof, however, I am now considering installing solar kit with a 50 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel, charger controller and a Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery 12 Volt 50 Ah. This can power my onboard refrigerator in my Subaru Forester and provide emergency power to my MXT400 MICROMOBILE®TWO-WAY RADIO in the event that my primary vehicle battery were to go down. 

I can then, in theory also power jump my main battery with this setup.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:14 AM, Extreme said:

Update us on the performance of your new install when you've done some testing or real world use.

Been using it on low power to talk with the various repeaters here in the Tucson area.  At first was using medium power, but tried low, and it's clear and nice.  So why not give the electrons less of a workout.  I'm very satisfied with the radio and antenna.