Roger beep settings

DonErle

I'm not a fan of the Roger Beep but, I do like the MDC squawk.  As for the coolest MDC/PT-T ID signaling, I always thought that the old Saber analog MDC PT-T ID chirps were the best that LAPD use to use back in the day when they were on a 150 Meg system. When they went to the 500 Meg T-Band system they used the Astro Saber and PT-T ID with the digital MDC system.

I'm not a fan of the Roger Beep but, I do like the MDC squawk.  As for the coolest MDC/PT-T ID signaling, I always thought that the old Saber analog MDC PT-T ID chirps were the best that LAPD use to use back in the day when they were on a 150 Meg system. When they went to the 500 Meg T-Band system they used the Astro Saber and PT-T ID with the digital MDC system.

I have no idea what any of that means.

It may as well say “The blue tree fish highway hiking right. Lemons toe rubber hand cow flight highway. I like pie”

🥸

I still kinda wish all of the radio manufacturers would make a Roger beep (or courtesy tone, if you prefer) option that sounded like a half second (or so) squelch tail.  In other words, a burst of white noise, like the old police and business radios from the 1950's thru the 80's or so used to make on the receive end.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:04 PM, OffRoaderX said:

I keep my Roger Beep on - when someone complains about it, I remind them that its my radio and nobody is forcing them to listen to me.

Works for me. I don't use them often, but I don't care if others do. Heard a brand new Tech ham, sounded pretty young, on a local repeater making a call. When he unkeyed, his radio sent the RB.  The old guy who replied to him, before even saying anything like "welcome to the hobby, congrats on making your first contact" went straight into "TURN OFF THE ROGER BEEP ON YER BOOFWANG!!!"

A: a DH move by a sadham (don't deserve upper case or periods!) and 2: How would he know what radio the kid had?  Way to welcome folks aboard....

18 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

Works for me. I don't use them often, but I don't care if others do. Heard a brand new Tech ham, sounded pretty young, on a local repeater making a call. When he unkeyed, his radio sent the RB.  The old guy who replied to him, before even saying anything like "welcome to the hobby, congrats on making your first contact" went straight into "TURN OFF THE ROGER BEEP ON YER BOOFWANG!!!"

A: a DH move by a sadham (don't deserve upper case or periods!) and 2: How would he know what radio the kid had?  Way to welcome folks aboard....

I’ve been wondering if my Yaesu HF radio can have a Roger beep added. 😇

57 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I'm gonna find a way to make a radio that sends a fart sound instead of a roger beep.

As soon as I finish cyberattacking the ARRL, that is.

NO!  Not the fart sound!  I got in trouble with a ham club using their 2m linked network once because of that.  I was in a conversation and let one rip while I had the mic keyed.  The computer system supporting the link read the sound as a digital data burst shut-down command which turned the network off.  Talk about a bunch of sad hams!

😂😁🤣

13 hours ago, Sshannon said:

I’ve been wondering if my Yaesu HF radio can have a Roger beep added. 😇

If your radio has a DTMF Key Pad, maybe you can fake a "Roger Beep" by depressing a couple or few DTMF keys. A 16-button key pad would give a few more options. Another thought would be if you come up with a sequence of numbers to fake the "roger beep" maybe you can program that in your radio as a PT-T ID and Trail it to send out when unkeying.

15 hours ago, RayP said:

I still kinda wish all of the radio manufacturers would make a Roger beep (or courtesy tone, if you prefer) option that sounded like a half second (or so) squelch tail.

The TD-H3s have 2 different roger beeps. 1 is a traditional 'melody', the other is like that old Motorola noise.

Some radios have a 'Repeater Confirmation' or 'Squelch Tail' setting that will, near as I can tell, make the radio transmit an extremely brief burst of static similar to (but not nearly as ear piercing as) the Motorola sound, that I find less annoying.

I have a couple of radios that really make zero sound when you let off the PTT that I have used that option on so there's SOME audible indication, without a full on roger beep.

I'm gonna find a way to make a radio that sends a fart sound instead of a roger beep.
As soon as I finish cyberattacking the ARRL, that is.

And please make sure I can add that to my radios when you have it working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk