Roger beep settings

DonErle

I don't mind RBs on a repeater, GMRS or HAM, generated by the repeater.  It is a consistant tone, and definative marker to know that the other station has completed his transmission.   A simple beep  in the squelch tail is all that is needed.   On simplex however, if everyone is using a different radio, generating a different tone, then it becomes a RB chorus.    That  drives me crazy. 

I do wish that the Retevis RT97  had a RB.  I use it  when we go camping, and I think a RB would keep my kids from stepping all over eachother.  I ended up turning on the squelch tail (about 1 sec) and told them to wait for the crash before keying up.  It seems like that was good enough.

• 9 months later...

I don't use a roger beep but I don't care if you do. I have heard many tell others to turn theirs off for what ever reason. It usually comes from someone with a Motorola radio with their obnoxious tone they generate when the mic is un-keyed,kind of likea roger beep, at least it server the same purpose. I guess they like everyone to know they are using a Motorola radio I suspect.

I personally don't use roger beeps; never have and never will. But a larger problem (for me anyway) is when someone uses foul language while on the air. I overheard a close relative use such language on his son's FRS radio; I had to bark at him that what he was saying wasn't tolerated, especially if I'm within range or physical earshot. He gave me a bit of a pissed-off look at first, but he stopped it. I have both Amateur Radio and GMRS licenses; I'm not taking any chances on losing either or both because of someone's lack of education on how proper radio etiquette works.

Warren Rowe, WQ1C / WRPC505 

1 hour ago, WRPC505 said:

I overheard a close relative use such language on his son's FRS radio; I had to bark at him that what he was saying wasn't tolerated, especially if I'm within range or physical earshot. He gave me a bit of a pissed-off look at first, but he stopped it. I have both Amateur Radio and GMRS licenses; I'm not taking any chances on losing either or both because of someone's lack of education on how proper radio etiquette works.

This is a new topic for me: could you please explain to me how someone else using foul language on his son's FRS radio puts your FCC licenses at risk?!?

28 minutes ago, WRPC505 said:

FCC will come breathing down my neck if someone that knows me complains to them. It's happened to others before, trust me.

Not that I dont trust you, or think you're making stuff up out of thin air, but i would love for you to share some actual facts about all these others this has happened to.  Perhaps a link to the FCC enforcement database entry?  Because as I'm sure you know, every time the FCC breathes down anyones neck, for any reason, by law, the FCC must publish that enforcement.

I retired from a large company that had numerous buildings, some blocks apart from each other.  To their credit, they ran a shuttle bus service, sort of like an airport rental car shuttle bus.  They were equipped with business band UHF radios.  The base and every bus had the roger beep on.

Just wait ‘till you find yourself held captive on one of the buses, and all the drivers and base carry on a convo of short, 1-5 word sentences back and forth at near full-volume for about 10-15 minutes!  Yeah, that’s right, you’ll get tired of the roger-beep REAL quick.

It’s already been said that the radio(s) belong to the owner, and not me, so I know I didn’t have a say in the matter.  So I never complained.  And I suppose I didn’t have to listen to the conversation either (I could have just gotten off the bus and walked, right?).  But it sure would have been nice if the programmer would have shut off the default roger beep on all the radios before mounting in the buses.  And it would have been a heck-of-a-nice courtesy if the driver had turned down the radio a few hundred-thousand decibels, as I'm sure I suffered hearing loss.  But who am I to say….

Edited by Citizen
spelling correction

A good "courtesy tone" is generated by the repeater, and should be at least 10-12 dB down in volume from the voice audio. In other words, the courtesy tone is well below the user's voice level. It should not be shrill or harsh. It's more of a clue than a control signal...

A radio that generates its own Roger Beep upon release of the PTT should be avoided IMHO. I haven't played around with enough CCR's to know what's available in the programming, but the tones I have heard over the air on GMRS usually seem to be on the edge of obnoxious.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:18 PM, OffRoaderX said:

Not that I dont trust you, or think you're making stuff up out of thin air, but i would love for you to share some actual facts about all these others this has happened to.  Perhaps a link to the FCC enforcement database entry?  Because as I'm sure you know, every time the FCC breathes down anyones neck, for any reason, by law, the FCC must publish that enforcement.

Sounds to me like you DON'T trust what I'm saying...whatever. I don't need to quote book, chapter and verse on this stuff to anyone, although I will say that a lot of this happened many moons ago. If you really want to know for sure, look for yourself. I'm going to move on and spend my time on better things than arguing about this stuff with you. Have a nice week.

I leave my roger beeps turned on. It doesn't trouble me, and I find it helpful when other unfamiliar folks are on the same channels since I can easily tell they are not addressing my group as their tones sound different than ours. It's the same argument as a commercial on a radio station; if you don't like it, change the channel.

I leave my roger beeps turned on. It doesn't trouble me, and I find it helpful when other unfamiliar folks are on the same channels since I can easily tell they are not addressing my group as their tones sound different than ours. It's the same argument as a commercial on a radio station; if you don't like it, change the channel.
Just be careful.....Roger beeps are "good buddy beeps" to truck drivers. You may find yourself the recipient of an invite to a rest area men's room for a romantic interlude

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

If you are operating through a repeater you do not need a roger beep. Most repeaters have a courtesy tone if activated to let you know when you can transmit. If you are running simplex they are good to have especially if you are going to have a significant distance between radios to where your all on the fringe of radio range. 

The only time I have encountered possibly needing a roger beep on a repeater is when the repeater doesn't have a courtesy tone and your radio settings are set just so that your radio's receiver only opens up when the other guy is talking and stays closed otherwise. I usually keep my radios set like that so that I don't hear all the squelch tail crunching and other beeps that come out of a repeater. 

I have my roger beeps on, even on my UV5R's. When I'm talking on the local ham repeaters, I keep the roger beep on. No one has ever said anything to me about it. There's only one GMRS repeater in my area, and when I talk on it, I keep the beep on, no one has ever complained about it. It really doesn't matter to me if it's on or off. Now, if I could find a micro echo board to put in one of my GMRS radios, I'd be a happy camper. ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/8/2021 at 3:58 PM, gortex2 said:

To me there is no need for it. None of my radios have it. I also see no reason for it. 

I can think of one good reason for it. It let's the other person know when you're finished talking without having to say "Over" or "Roger" or "Copy".

I have no real preference concerning the roger beep but "some people" really get their panties in a wad over it. One morning on my way out of town at about 4:30am I was using a new UV-5R and the roger beep was on. Some guy came on and chewed me out for about 15 minutes. Some people really need to get a life.

2 minutes ago, Blaise said:

Please tell me you continued that conversation for as many hours as possible, consistently using the beep!

Oh, I kept answering him over and over and apologizing profusely while reminding him is was going to be a while before I was going to pull over and change it. You know, it's just to dangerous to change it while driving. 🤣