Repeater Database Download?

tperk

Surprised I could not find answer by searching.  Have not bought radio yet and only know a little about GMRS. What model I buy might depend somewhat on the answer to my questions here. Am wondering if it's possible to download repeater database to software that would support my radio, either from this site or from others. I would like to download all from Virginia to Key West, Fl.

It appears I can download from RepeaterBook.com but they show only 3 repeaters in Virginia. This site shows 26.

So, can I download from here? If not here, where? Will downloads that are available, if any, determine what radio/s I should buy?

Thanks

Generally speaking, GMRS repeaters have no impact on which repeater capable radio you may purchase, with two notable exceptions. If a repeater uses split tones (one tone for Tx and a different tone for Rx) then you will need a radio with split-tone capability. If the repeater uses non-standard tones, then you need a radio that supports non-standard tones. I will admit I have not personally encountered any that used non-standard tones.

The highest majority of repeaters using single standard tones.

If you purchase a radio that supports both, you are golden.

Current and previous generation Midland radios do not support split tones, at least from the front panel. One model can support split if using software. All Wouxun GMRS radios support split tone. Two models support custom tones via the front panel controls, two do not. One additional one I believe will support custom tones via software only.

I do not know if there is a way to download repeaters from this site. Never had need to.

Hope this helps.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

3 hours ago, mbrun said:

Current and previous generation Midland radios do not support split tones, at least from the front panel. One model can support split if using software. 

Michael,

One minor correction: while the prior models did not support split tones, Midland appears to have updated the current mxt115 and 275 with split tone capabilities (and a usb-c port).

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt115-micromobile-2-way-radio/

Edited to add: i'm tempted to grab one to have a free radio to throw in the better half's car. Talking her into a decent antenna is hard part so I might just go with the one it comes with to start with.

19 hours ago, mbrun said:

I do not know if there is a way to download repeaters from this site. Never had need to.

Thanks for your response. I just sold a handheld ham radio that I used for GMRS that required me to enter repeaters one by one. This reason is why I sold it. I am looking for a source  and a way to download GMRS repeater info in masse to radio supporting software (eg Chirp). So are you telling me that, again, I must enter GMRS repeater info one by one?  I'm beginning to wonder why I spent $50!

Thanks for your response. I just sold a handheld ham radio that I used for GMRS that required me to enter repeaters one by one. This reason is why I sold it. I am looking for a source  and a way to download GMRS repeater info in masse to radio supporting software (eg Chirp). So are you telling me that, again, I must enter GMRS repeater info one by one?  I'm beginning to wonder why I spent $50!

Yes. But in reality it is not that big of a deal (IMO).

I am both a licensed amateur and GMRSr. Because of the large volume of amateur repeaters in my region, I did find it helpful to be able to download all of the area repeaters from repeater book via Chirp and the organize them for my radio. But 1/2 of them have no published tones, so I can’t use them unless I contact the owner. In contrast, the number of open-to-the-public GMRS repeaters in Cincinnati and Dayton is about a dozen, and 1/2 of them are not in any public GMRS database. Regardless, in about 15 minutes or less I can program a radio for them. Not a big time investment.

I also developed a pattern for programming all my GMRS radios to make it simple to add new repeaters on the fly to handle those that may exist in a city I travel to. That technique involves creating a series of several dozen place holder memories pre-configured for standard repeater pair frequencies (labeled 550A-G through 725-A-G). If I travel to say Columbus or Cleveland, I already have plenty of empty repeater pairs in my radio. All I need to do is enter the CTCSS/DCS tones via radio FP controls and I am good to go.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

4 hours ago, tperk said:

I agree with what Michael already said, for GMRS the individual entries for each repeater aren't terribly difficult. If you're using Chirp, you can download the FRS/GMRS standard frequencies to your file, then to add repeaters, just copy the appropriate repeater line from the ones you downloaded, change the tones and channel name, and it's done. It only takes a few seconds for each one since you can copy one of the eight repeater channels from the aforementioned download. The good part about GMRS is that there are only 8 repeater frequency combinations, so the only things that change with them are the tones.

• 2 years later...
On 6/13/2021 at 8:37 AM, WyoJoe said:

I agree with what Michael already said, for GMRS the individual entries for each repeater aren't terribly difficult. If you're using Chirp, you can download the FRS/GMRS standard frequencies to your file, then to add repeaters, just copy the appropriate repeater line from the ones you downloaded, change the tones and channel name, and it's done. It only takes a few seconds for each one since you can copy one of the eight repeater channels from the aforementioned download. The good part about GMRS is that there are only 8 repeater frequency combinations, so the only things that change with them are the tones.

I am finding there are MANY PL Tones used area by area, state by state, for GMRS Repeaters.  This moves the relative ease of GMRS usage across family members who might travel or whatever.  I understand that someone or a group that maintains the equipment to support a repeater for an area might like to keep the PL Tones (the access tones, secret handshake tones etc) to themselves but it does add a huge layer of complication to the use of the GMRS system for the average user which it sure seems the GMRS system was designed for.  There is plenty of room for secrecy of PL Tones in the complicated HAM realm and that is part of that great hobby or business application but IMO this should not be how it works in the GMRS world.  I wish the FCC required GMRS repeaters to all use a standard tone.  Let the rest of the HAM world remain a puzzle to be unfolded and learned by those inclined for such things.  I myself am an Extra Class HAM and I still would like GMRS to be uncomplicated and have widespread usage for many practical and fun reasons.  

1 minute ago, WRQU476 said:

I am finding there are MANY PL Tones used area by area, state by state, for GMRS Repeaters.  This moves the relative ease of GMRS usage across family members who might travel or whatever.  I understand that someone or a group that maintains the equipment to support a repeater for an area might like to keep the PL Tones (the access tones, secret handshake tones etc) to themselves but it does add a huge layer of complication to the use of the GMRS system for the average user which it sure seems the GMRS system was designed for.  There is plenty of room for secrecy of PL Tones in the complicated HAM realm and that is part of that great hobby or business application but IMO this should not be how it works in the GMRS world.  I wish the FCC required GMRS repeaters to all use a standard tone.  Let the rest of the HAM world remain a puzzle to be unfolded and learned by those inclined for such things.  I myself am an Extra Class HAM and I still would like GMRS to be uncomplicated and have widespread usage for many practical and fun reasons.  

I meant to type this “This highly complicates the relative ease of GMRS usage across family members who might travel or whatever.”     And I add that just because it is supposedly easy for some to carry their computer and cord and then search and hopefully find the right PL TONEs as we travel (hahaha sure try it) it is not at all easy for the vast majority of users.  I know I am right on this LOL

A good repeater is a significant investment. It is up to the owner to decide how open it is. Yes, it would be nice if it was all easy but repeaters are not a primary part of what GMRS is intended for. Repeaters are just a side benefit. I use a repeater almost every day and I'm glad they are available but I'm not about to demand anything of the owners. Rather I am very grateful to them for making the repeaters available even if I do have to dig a little to figure some of them out.

Totally understood, but, when traveling, like I just tried across 3 states, mostly rural low demand areas were station crowding will never be an issue (like most of where a lot of newcomer and safety conscious family users would I think really like to use it), the complication of the non-standard PL search was difficult to say the least.  A standard travel tone similar handshake setting or code generator would be a solution for short term visitation like travel?  It is a problem squarely set on travel safety and brief family or group communication across unfamiliar territory.  Some travel standard would fix it and wouldn’t invade or overburden anyone to a great degree.  I assume this will never change though.  I contend KISS is better than the downsides.  

The travel tone is 141.3. Its up to the repeater owner if he/she wants to enable the travel tone and allow folks to use it. Long before GMRS became ham lite GMRS users had used different PL tones to keep the channel clear at home. For decades we had a base radio at home and the only people we would hear is a parent calling base. At 2 in the AM we really didn't want joe calling testing his radio. It was used way different then that folks seem to use it for now. 

As others said its costly to put up and maintain repeaters. That's why none of mine are listed. None are open for use other than family and close friends. That was the intent. I use GMRS for other stuff on jeep rides and off road and all comms are CSQ then. 

So the KISS method of standard tone is already there if folks want to use it. Many do not for multiple reasons. I enabled it for a week on one of my sites. After 3 days of two guys rag chewing for hours on end I disabled it.