Basic Base Unit

WROA675

Hello and Happy New Year to all,

Just got my ticket almost three weeks ago (Dec. 13) and looking to upgrade from my QYT KT-8900R, to a more solid base unit for my shack. I'm liking the 2m/7cm platforms (have made some cool contacts) so that's important. I would like to explore some 2m sideband and lower 10 meter HF, as my technician privileges allow?, but am just as happy using echolink for DX.

I like the look of the bigger base units with the waterfall display, and all the fancy knobs ?, however, I am on a budget and will have to get a power supply (another unit I have no idea of what to get). BTWR has a Starter Ham Radio Kit which really caught my eye, however has been out of stock for a couple months. SO......have also been considering a used Motorola UHF W3 Astro Spectra setup.

One thing I learned from my start in GMRS is to do as much research as possible, be patient, and ask a lot of questions, before pulling the trigger, to avoid buyers remorse and get the best rig for my needs.

That said, any and all suggestions are appreciated regarding a decent unit and power supply, new or used is fine too. 

Kevin

WROA675/KN6SDM

You have many options from what you described. That Motorola Astro Spectra UHF could be used if you have software and cable to program it. I know many people currently buying the Yaesu FT-991A for about $1200.00, a solid VHF/UHF/HF rig that can do what you describe. Budget, software, other items you will need that you already have, what brands you prefer, and needs all come into play. I tend to keep separate radios for each band, and for GMRS, find that I use an old Motorola CDM1550 LS+ with an Astron power supply the most. For VHF there is a Vertex VX-3200 and Duracomm power supply. For HF there is a low power Yaesu FT-817ND. CB radio is covered by a Cobra 2000 GTL base station. Good luck on your search and whichever direction you go with this.

Congrats on the callsign!

From what I read about the look of big bad waterfall display and knobs, I think you know what you want! It starts with Elec- and ends with -raft! Oh yeah, on a budget, nevermind...

I have FT-817 (which is not a good base station!), I use it for portable operation from the woods. I'm thinking about something like FT-991A for a base at some point next year.

Commercial radios generally aren't the most flexible thing., But you can get around it somewhat with programming. I've shuffled my setups a few times, though the alinco dm30 is the one consistent piece, powering everything. There's a couple of tekpower that are well regarded and slightly cheaper.

Radio wise, my current setup is a vx4207 for 70cm (bonus being 90/95cert, so legal for gmrs too), paired with a vx4204 for 2m. The 4204 wasn't exactly inexpensive, but the 4207 can be had on eBay for 135+shipping from used-radios.com (username erac1)...it's a little more on their site.

Previously, I had an icom 2730a dual band, which was solid, but the fan noise got to me a little; it's in the truck in place of the vx4207.

If 95a certification isnt an issue, I've seen other models (I want to say vx2200) with a power supply for base use for 175 on ebay.

However, I'm currently doing straight analog FM on the base, plus dmr and p25 on handhelds. (Also tech, kicking myself for not studying up to do general at the same time). I've been scouring for some affordable p25 mobile, or 1.25/6m options but haven't pulled the trigger on any of those yet.

Kind of like some members go for Motorola, my 'fleet' is pretty heavily biased toward Vertex Standard.

26 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Commercial radios generally aren't the most flexible thing., But you can get around it somewhat with programming.

Forgot to expand on this a bit...I have a batch of simplex channels programmed in 146 and 147 on 2m, and 446.xxx on 70cm to give me some simplex, calling frequencies included.

I think eventually, either this truck or the next, I'll pick up an id-5100 or ftm-400dr, and the icom will come back inside, or try to sneak it into the better half's car

1 hour ago, PACNWComms said:

Good luck on your search and whichever direction you go with this.

Great input here so far from everyone. I've been looking at the models that were mentioned and comparing prices.

More importantly, I've been considering what do I need versus what do I want.

The conclusion I've come to at this time is a simple dual band radio (2m/70cm) with cross-band capability (i.e., Anytone 5888UV, TYT 7800, etc.)

The reason(s) is I'd like to be able to have the base in my office and be able to use my HT via the base unit if I'm in the garage, balcony, kitchen, etc.

I believe this type of radio is going to support my current needs and not break the bank, as I save up for a more advance system in the future.

There are several sites that provide reviews of units that can be used for a base station. Within your budget there are 2 that cover your needs from Icom. The IC-7100 is a mobile/base covering all bands but doesn't have the waterfall display. The Icom 706 MK IIG is available on the used market again, no waterfall but both are solid 100W units. You can get an SDR radio for fairly cheap that will throw up a waterfall display using a software program downloaded from the net. For my 2M/70cm work I use the ID-5100A and a hot spot for D-Star. 

Probably one of the best sources for an unbiased review is the ARRL. You may want to consider joining them for their wealth of information available. The other trusted(?) sources would be the ham equipment dealers such as Ham Radio Outlet, DX Engineering, Gigaparts and others. They will, of course, be biased to their new equipment lines but can definitely offer good advice on power supplies and antennas along with other accessories you'll end up needing.

54 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

The Icom 706 MK IIG is available on the used market again...

@Papatree: This is the Icom model that I was referring to that was the competitor to the Yaesu FT-857d at the time (both mobile styled units).

Although the 706 had a larger display screen, my recollection is that the Yaesu FT-857d won out in the marketplace.

This seems to be confirmed in its higher pricing in the used market today, as well.

I originally had the Yaesu FT-817, but it is a QRP low powered rig and my advice is that QRP is an acquired taste that takes much patience and should be postponed until you have a need for a battery powered unit (camping, SOTA, etc.).

I sold my 817 on eBay and then immediately acquired my 857d (100 watts on HF and 6 Meters; 50 watts on 2 meters and 20 watts on 70 cm).

I initially used to keep my 857d in a backpack with a LDG AT-100Pro II antenna tuner and a collapsable 80-10 meter vertical antenna that I purchased on eBay and take it out for day trips.  It is now my dedicated HF rig in my shack:

Here was the "portable" setup, including the Duracell PowerPack 600: a 12 volt 28Ah rechargeable power unit, that came with Anderson PowerPole connectors for easy connection/disconnection:

HF portable.jpg

6 hours ago, BoxCar said:

You can get an SDR radio for fairly cheap that will throw up a waterfall display using a software program downloaded from the net.

Funny you mentioned this...it's been in my wishlist for sometime, on Amazon, and I saw this morning it was finally back in stock. It'll be here on Tuesday?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HVUEME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A37V0QGFC9C912&psc=1 

5 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I initially used to keep my 857d in a backpack with a LDG AT-100Pro II antenna tuner and a collapsable 80-10 meter vertical antenna that I purchased on eBay and take it out for day trips.  It is now my dedicated HF rig in my shack:

Here was the "portable" setup, including the Duracell PowerPack 600: a 12 volt 28Ah rechargeable power unit, that came with Anderson PowerPole connectors for easy connection/disconnection:

Looks nice, I might need to get a Alpaca to help me out with that setup for field trips though ?

Gonna start saving up for something along those line and maybe Santa will be nice to me this year.

Meanwhile, considering the TYT TH-7800, Anytone 5888UV, or Wouxun UV980P to replace the QYT...

7 hours ago, BoxCar said:

The Icom 706 MK IIG is available on the used market again

Found a used one on Ebay, bidding (for one more day) is currently at $480...does that sound fair?

There's also a Icom IC-2730A bidding ((8 hours left) a $223 (more my price range)... thoughts/comments?

1 hour ago, Papatree said:

Found a used one on Ebay, bidding (for one more day) is currently at $480...does that sound fair?

There's also a Icom IC-2730A bidding ((8 hours left) a $223 (more my price range)... thoughts/comments?

Not a bad price on the icom, though I wouldn't call it a great price unless it's new..they tend to be in the 250-300 range new, depending on sales and rebates. Does definitely fill your crossband need too.

On a side note, when I used the crossband at home, I had the tones configured so it only repeated from ht to the set repeate (I had a couple cross and channels set up for various frequencies), but not back to the ht....since I could hear the repeater just fine, just not reach it with the ht from indoors.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, Papatree said:

Looks nice, I might need to get a Alpaca to help me out with that setup for field trips though ?

I would drive up to Saddle Peak with all the equipment and setup shop at the parking area at the top of the hill, with a 360 degree panorama (you can barely see the collapsable eBay vertical on the tripod, with its "rat tail" that reaches to ground for a few feet)!

saddlepeakHF.jpg

After I got my EV, I installed Anderson Powerpoles in the vehicle and had all the power I needed!

All great examples given above, then you get the SignaLink interface for the specific radio and put it to work. While I have been partial to Yaesu FT-817ND for QRP and Yaesu FT-991A for QRM, a recent meeting with members of the Air Force Military Affiliate Radio Service AFMARS, they seem to prefer Icom radios, as they are easier to link with WinLink and other software created specific to Icom model radios. I may have to add an Icom HF to my list of radios to buy as a target of opportunity if they are found at a great price. 

In the maritime industry,I used older Icom HF and IC-M-602/608 models that worked well with software for Wireless Message Terminal (WMT) email and instant messaging. This is where Software Defined Radio (SDR) also comes in. There are many options, with some dependent on the specific radio you choose. That makes this hobby fun and interesting. With some of the proposed changes to GMRS and data, this may expand the options available over time.

4 hours ago, Papatree said:

Funny you mentioned this...it's been in my wishlist for sometime, on Amazon, and I saw this morning it was finally back in stock. It'll be here on Tuesday?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HVUEME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A37V0QGFC9C912&psc=1 

Have used RTL SDR USB sticks for years with SDR# (SDR Sharp) software for years, and recently had a co-worker show me a setup he bought for WSPR (Weak Signal Propagation Reporter) monitoring with an Internet connection. I then spent some time sniffing around online and found out how to add that to my own SDR# software. The dedicated WSPR receiver/reporter modules are frequency specific, where SDR# and an appropriate receiver are not. Which means there are "plug and play options" and ones that may work better for less money, if you are willing to play around and figure things out. Great point on using SDR as a possibility.

Link I used to add in WSPR with SDR#. https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-tutorial-on-receiving-wspr-with-an-rtl-sdr-v3/

9 hours ago, Papatree said:

If you get the 706 there is no pressing need for the 2730 as the 706 does 2M and 70CM.

8 hours ago, n4gix said:

The plus + model is very nice, with 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm all in one package. No HF or waterfall display of course.

Was checking this out and came around the TYT TH-9800 Plus(+). Radioddity sells them for $235 and I have a ten credit on my account from the three other radios I bought from them, so if BTWR doesn't get back to me soon about the Ham Radio Starter kit, this may be the one for me.

I passed on the used stuff, btw, since I don't know enough yet about them or what really to look out for, buying new (within my price range) gives me a better feeling. Now if I could get a buyer for my DB25G, which is barely getting any air time these days, that would really help me out. I have it posted on the FB GMRS-buy-sell-trade page.

ICOM, Yasue and Kenwood all make quality amateur gear. I have a Kenwood TM D700 that has been beat to hell. In my new JT I picked up the FTM-400 and its also a nice clean mobile. I know a few who use them as a base now and really enjoy it. I'd look at one of the name brands before I'd spend money on a CCR. Many are not much more than those. My FTM was picked up at HRO on sale for $499 during a xmas sale. 

11 hours ago, Papatree said:

Was checking this out and came around the TYT TH-9800 Plus(+). Radioddity sells them for $235 and I have a ten credit on my account from the three other radios I bought from them, so if BTWR doesn't get back to me soon about the Ham Radio Starter kit, this may be the one for me.

I passed on the used stuff, btw, since I don't know enough yet about them or what really to look out for, buying new (within my price range) gives me a better feeling. Now if I could get a buyer for my DB25G, which is barely getting any air time these days, that would really help me out. I have it posted on the FB GMRS-buy-sell-trade page.

Congrats. 

I only skimmed above, so if I am repeating things, sorry.

The 9800 is a ccr copy of Yaesus 8900. While it's still cheaper, it's probably a good start. It will do 2m, 70cm, 6m and 10m, bit FM only. You do have all of 6m to use as well as a tech, and there are tribband 2/70/6 antennas available. 

As for SSB, there isn't much, if any, traffic on 2m, and barely any on 6m, so you won't be missing much.

As for power supplies for your base station radio, I always try to minimize my use of switching power supplies. While they may be smaller and cheaper, they never work as well for as long as something with a large transformer inside. I have some Duracomm switching power supplies for lower amperage mobile radios, but prefer to stick with Astron when budget allows. Astron has been an excellent manufacturer of power supplies used in the radio industry for decades, and I have yet to find one that could not be repaired when it eventually failed. In fact, the main 50 amp power supply I use for testing radios at work, is an Astron some co-workers threw in the surplus dumpster. This is an Astron RS-50M (has two meters where the RS-50A does not) which goes for about $400 new versus about $300 for the version lacking meters RS-50A. This power supply was having problems as its capacitor board had come loose inside, and was touching the metal case. Using thread locker and tightening this board dow returned the power supply to service. It now powers two Kenwood TK-X180 series radios, a really old Motorola Maxtrac, a CDM1250 UHF (25W) mobile and a Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB radio. No matter which radio you end up getting,spending a bit more on a good power supply will result in longer service life, and possibly less noise into your radio system than a cheaper switched power supply.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:07 AM, tweiss3 said:

As for SSB, there isn't much, if any, traffic on 2m, and barely any on 6m, so you won't be missing much.

The 10m portion of the TYT TH-9800 Plus(+) is useless for Tech since their only portion of the band is SSB only. The allocation for Technicians is pretty small anyway: 28.300 - 28.500. It's really only useful for General, Advanced, and Extra hams.

However, the TYT TH-9800 Plus(+) is still a very nice radio for the money on the other 3 bands.

8 hours ago, n4gix said:

However, the TYT TH-9800 Plus(+) is still a very nice radio for the money on the other 3 bands.

Three out of four ain't bad ? I just pulled the trigger...10 percent off from Radioddity, so that just happened. It's fine and a great unit for my current needs.

I got a old five gallon water bottle that'll be used now for my savings towards a top shelf unit in the future (maybe by next Christmas when all the sales come back around).