AT-779UV / DB20-G First Impressions...

WROZ250

After watching several reviews of the Radioddity DB20-G, I stumbled across reviews of the Anytone AT-779UV.  Fundamentally, these appear to be the same radio.  Indeed, there is a European version as well under yet another manufacturer's label/brand.

Ironically, this AT-779UV was purchased with the understanding that it was a GMRS radio (according to the description).  That said, what arrived today was actually ham band. 

However...

Given the above, I am not sure this radio is considered Part 95e, so if completely legal is concerned, this might not be the radio for you and/or you can purchase the DB20-G.  I am assuming the DB20-G is in fact Part 95e certified (I don't know).  Again, the AT-779UV appears, for all purpose and functionality, to be an identical radio. 

That said, several of the videos showed an interesting (not published) feature/mod, which is reversible, to change the possible TX/RX frequencies and memory usage. 

Power off the radio, hold down the V/M button and turn on the power.  You will be presented with a menu of radio configurations, one of which is 'GMRS'.  Selecting GMRS, the radio has all of the same features (and restrictions) as the DB20-G (after reset/power cycle).  Basically it behaves as a fully legal Part 95e radio.  FWIW, I believe the aforementioned feature works on all versions of this radio, including the DB20-G.  One of the other items in the menu opens up the radio to the full TX and RX spectrum and, most importantly, allows all available memories to hold transmit frequencies which, will in fact transmit.

Again, the beauty of this mod/feature, is that it can be changed as often as you like.  The only downside is that whatever was in the memories prior to the change will be replaced by the selected band defaults upon reset.  For example, selecting GMRS, all memories are repopulated with the standard channels and the Part 95e restrictions.  Set it to ham band and 144-148 and 430-450 gets a couple of simplex frequencies in the memories and does not transmit out of band.

This radio is tiny but packs a lot for the price.  For more information on the model in general, see Randy's review of the DB20-G (see link)  Remember, the AT-779UV and the DB20-G are virtually the same radio.

Both radios retail right around $100. 

Yes, it's Chinese, but IMHO, it's still pretty cool for a 15-18ish watt mobile (not the advertised 20W).

50 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

After watching several reviews of the Radioddity DB20-G, I stumbled across reviews of the Anytone AT-779UV.  Fundamentally, these appear to be the same radio.  Indeed, there is a European version as well under yet another manufacturer's label/brand.

Ironically, this AT-779UV was purchased with the understanding that it was a GMRS radio (according to the description).  That said, what arrived today was actually ham band. 

However...

Given the above, I am not sure this radio is considered Part 95e, so if completely legal is concerned, this might not be the radio for you and/or you can purchase the DB20-G.  I am assuming the DB20-G is in fact Part 95e certified (I don't know).  Again, the AT-779UV appears, for all purpose and functionality, to be an identical radio. 

That said, several of the videos showed an interesting (not published) feature/mod, which is reversible, to change the possible TX/RX frequencies and memory usage. 

Power off the radio, hold down the V/M button and turn on the power.  You will be presented with a menu of radio configurations, one of which is 'GMRS'.  Selecting GMRS, the radio has all of the same features (and restrictions) as the DB20-G (after reset/power cycle).  Basically it behaves as a fully legal Part 95e radio.  FWIW, I believe the aforementioned feature works on all versions of this radio, including the DB20-G.  One of the other items in the menu opens up the radio to the full TX and RX spectrum and, most importantly, allows all available memories to hold transmit frequencies which, will in fact transmit.

Again, the beauty of this mod/feature, is that it can be changed as often as you like.  The only downside is that whatever was in the memories prior to the change will be replaced by the selected band defaults upon reset.  For example, selecting GMRS, all memories are repopulated with the standard channels and the Part 95e restrictions.  Set it to ham band and 144-148 and 430-450 gets a couple of simplex frequencies in the memories and does not transmit out of band.

This radio is tiny but packs a lot for the price.  For more information on the model in general, see Randy's review of the DB20-G (see link)  Remember, the AT-779UV and the DB20-G are virtually the same radio.

Both radios retail right around $100. 

Yes, it's Chinese, but IMHO, it's still pretty cool for a 15-18ish watt mobile (not the advertised 20W).

I recently took delivery of one as well; it displays a 95e certified FCC ID on the case, but mine very definitely showed up in ham mode.  Given that's the main use I have in mind for it, no issue here; in the future if I throw it in the truck (which already has a dual band ham radio in it), I'll flip it to GMRS mode...the option of wideband and split tones put it a step up on the MXT115 that's back in that.

I mentioned it in another thread, but when I downloaded the software from Anytone's website and ran it through Virustotal, it kicked out 5 flags for various things.  Tried the db20G software instead (downloaded from Radioddity's site), and no flags there.  It also read and programmed my radio just fine (looking in the 'About' menu, it even shows the model as AT-779UV, but Radioddity).

I also snagged a couple side by side shots with the MXT115 for size comparison...really close in size.  Curious how it's going to work out as well, but not too much of a gamble for the price.

Screenshot_20220214-222054~2.png

Screenshot_20220214-222046~2.png

1 hour ago, WROZ250 said:

Power off the radio, hold down the V/M button and turn on the power.  You will be presented with a menu of radio configurations, one of which is 'GMRS'.  

This also gives you the version of the installed firmware.

Not stated, so to be clear: once it is moved to "Ham mode" you can also reprogram the GMRS simplex and repeater channels back into it.

I also note that in @OffRoaderX's video, in the upper right hand corner, you will see that his power supply is feeding 13.2 volts to his radio.  Mine gets 13.9 from my external power supply in the shack and I would bet that my power output is then higher than his (I don't have a meter to measure it), and hotter, too, when I am long-winded!

I looked up the FCC ID https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/T4K-779UV  and quite frankly I'm still confused! LOL! 

I'll have to read through the documents, but a quick scan seems to suggest that the AT-779UV is Part 95 certified and, again, when set for GMRS does function the same as a complaint radio.  The confusing part for me, is why would a radio with, in this case, have amateur radio frequencies on the ID label have Part 95 certification? 

Not complaining at all, but... 

The radio in your photo is identical to mine and while the label does have the FCC compliant sticker, it does not explicitly show Part 95 anywhere.  Indeed, yours has 144-148, 420-470 MHz checked, just like the one I have.  However again, looking at the files associated with that FCC ID (above link), the radio does appear to be Part 95 compliant.  Again, it's confusing.

I ran the mod sequence again (didn't change anything this time) and Ver 2.33 was displayed.

As far as power output, mine would probably squeak out a couple of additional watts off a vehicle or fixed power supply.  The displayed voltage was 12.9 while testing, as  was running it off off a Bioenno Power battery pack.

i used the Anytone software, downloaded from their site, and had no installation issues from Windows 10 Pro and, Windows balks at virtually all 3rd party packages (I wish these manufacturers would routinely offer Linux based programming software).  Dunno, maybe the software is a later version or had an updated certificate?  Whatever, it works and that's all I care about! LOL!

Confusing labels or not, as you noted "not too much of a gamble for the price."

WROZ250

8 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

This also gives you the version of the installed firmware.

Not stated, so to be clear: once it is moved to "Ham mode" you can also reprogram the GMRS simplex and repeater channels back into it.

I also note that in @OffRoaderX's video, in the upper right hand corner, you will see that his power supply is feeding 13.2 volts to his radio.  Mine gets 13.9 from my external power supply in the shack and I would bet that my power output is then higher than his (I don't have a meter to measure it), and hotter, too, when I am long-winded!

When the radio is set to Ham Mode, it will not transmit out of ham band.  Yes, you can put out of band frequencies into the memories, but they will be RX only.  The same is true when set for GMRS, only those frequencies will transmit.

The only setting that doesn't restrict is the full range (136-174) (400-470).  Set to that, the radio and all memories will take any frequency in those ranges and allow transmitting.

Firmware was V2.33

I have 2 of these, the Radioddity version. I noticed that my vehicle powers this thing at about 14.3 volts so that's what I run on my base power unit as well. At 14.3ish volts, it puts out 16.5 - 17 watts on the 467 repeater input frequencies and 17-18 watts on simplex. Both radios consistently put out that power. That's pretty decent as far as I'm concerned. 

Also, using the 136-174 and 400-470 mode is nice because you can freely enter your frequencies with no defaults added. 

Here's something I really appreciate about this radio that nobody mentions: when it receives a signal that it does not have the tone for, the little s-meter lights up, but instead of green, it lights up gray. This is a nice touch because you know there's a signal being received, but you're not hearing it because it's filtered out by tone. Most other radios just show the s-meter light up normally, but you don't hear anything. 

I looked up the FCC ID https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/T4K-779UV  and quite frankly I'm still confused! LOL! 

I'll have to read through the documents, but a quick scan seems to suggest that the AT-779UV is Part 95 certified and, again, when set for GMRS does function the same as a complaint radio.  The confusing part for me, is why would a radio with, in this case, have amateur radio frequencies on the ID label have Part 95 certification? 

Not complaining at all, but... 

The radio in your photo is identical to mine and while the label does have the FCC compliant sticker, it does not explicitly show Part 95 anywhere.  Indeed, yours has 144-148, 420-470 MHz checked, just like the one I have.  However again, looking at the files associated with that FCC ID (above link), the radio does appear to be Part 95 compliant.  Again, it's confusing.

I ran the mod sequence again (didn't change anything this time) and Ver 2.33 was displayed.

As far as power output, mine would probably squeak out a couple of additional watts off a vehicle or fixed power supply.  The displayed voltage was 12.9 while testing, as  was running it off off a Bioenno Power battery pack.

i used the Anytone software, downloaded from their site, and had no installation issues from Windows 10 Pro and, Windows balks at virtually all 3rd party packages (I wish these manufacturers would routinely offer Linux based programming software).  Dunno, maybe the software is a later version or had an updated certificate?  Whatever, it works and that's all I care about! LOL!

Confusing labels or not, as you noted "not too much of a gamble for the price."

WROZ250

I was alerted first to your comment that quoted me, so I only now see that you had a post before that one.

I am not an expert at Part 95 certifications and the appropriate stickers placed on the radio.

Before now, my knowledge was that these radios were sold in the USA limited to transmitting on GMRS and were Part 95 certified.  The knowledge on how to open them up came to me after I purchased mine (it can also be opened up using the programming software, under MODEL). I am surprised to hear that some units sold in the USA are being delivered already opened.

But at the end of the day, this is sold as a Part 95 certified GMRS radio in the USA and I have not seen any advertising to the contrary.

7 minutes ago, donniefitz2 said:

Here's something I really appreciate about this radio that nobody mentions: when it receives a signal that it does not have the tone for, the little s-meter lights up, but instead of green, it lights up gray. This is a nice touch because you know there's a signal being received, but you're not hearing it because it's filtered out by tone. Most other radios just show the s-meter light up normally, but you don't hear anything. 

On 2/11/2022 at 8:21 AM, Sshannon said:

Another thing to consider is that having receive tones set prevents you from hearing a conversation on the same frequency before you transmit over the top of them.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:05 AM, MichaelLAX said:

My radio lights up white when I am receiving a signal that does not open the squelch due to a different tone. 

Nobody?!? ?

Thanks for the power out reading at higher voltages.

31 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Does it actually say "Ham Mode" now? Maybe that is one of the 2.33 improvements.

I have 2.28 and 2.29 in my two Anytones and other than GMRS, Australian and Europe, it list specific frequency bands.  

I have mine set to (136-174)(400-470).

LOL! No, it doesn't say "Ham Mode".  Just the frequency Range (144-148) and (420-450)

Mine has as band choices, Europe, Australia, GMRS, and then the two frequency range choices (144-148), (420-450) and, (136-174), (400-470).  So I don't know what if any changes V2.33 might have enabled.

I already have dual band radios coming out my ears, so I got this one to test. The other intent was for a cheap GMRS base radio.  I have currently it set to GMRS, because that's all I need at the moment.  My only motivation for setting it to fully open would be to access additional memories for GMRS TX/RX, but that is unnecessary for my location.  The memory restrictions follow the selected band, a feature over-site for GMRS IMHO.  But for $100, I'm not complaining, especially when there are 'options'.

CCR or not, this is a nice radio for the price.

11 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I am not an expert at Part 95 certifications and the appropriate stickers placed on the radio.

Before now, my knowledge was that these radios were sold in the USA limited to transmitting on GMRS and were Part 95 certified.  The knowledge on how to open them up came to me after I purchased mine (it can also be opened up using the programming software, under MODEL). I am surprised to hear that some units sold in the USA are being delivered already opened.

But at the end of the day, this is sold as a Part 95 certified GMRS radio in the USA and I have not seen any advertising to the contrary.

So...double checked the mxt115 (Midland is probably the closest thing to a gold standard of part 95e compliance) and the btech 50x1, and neither of those indicate anything about part 95 on the labels.

I can see the "as shipped" condition being an issue if someone was expecting a gmrs radio and not willing to take the time to program it properly, and with it not shipping in compliance with what they're advertising it as (wasn't advertising part of what got Rugged Radios in trouble?). Perhaps someone in the supply chain is  getting careless.

1 minute ago, wayoverthere said:

I can see the "as shipped" condition being an issue if someone was expecting a gmrs radio and not willing to take the time to program it properly, and with it not shipping in compliance with what they're advertising it as (wasn't advertising part of what got Rugged Radios in trouble?). Perhaps someone in the supply chain is  getting careless.

Was my initial thoughts as well.

FWIW, one of the videos I watched on the 'mod', they guy stated that some are showing up as GMRS and others as Ham?

Gotta Love it! LOL!

Generally, if I do not have a specific reason to upgrade firmware, I wait.

In this case, it is not clear to me what each updated version of the firmware adds or subtracts from the radio, so I remain at the versions that came with my two Anytones: 2.28 and 2.29.

I do use the updated Radioddity CPS programming software.

FWIW: Since it is a PITA to remove from my car, bring into the shack and reprogram it and then return it to the car, I add new repeaters and other new channels manually and just update the software for those specific "channels" so that my software remains up to date.

8 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

So...double checked the mxt115 (Midland is probably the closest thing to a gold standard of part 95e compliance) and the btech 50x1, and neither of those indicate anything about part 95 on the labels.

Interesting, most of the hand held radios I have that are Part 95, actually say Part 95 on the Label/Compliance tag.  Again, this is what confused me with this mobile, purchased as GMRS and showing up labeled and configured as Ham.  Nevertheless, when configured for GMRS it does behave as a compliant radio.

5 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

Interesting, most of the hand held radios I have that are Part 95, actually say Part 95 on the Label/Compliance tag.  Again, this is what confused me with this mobile, purchased as GMRS and showing up labeled and configured as Ham.  Nevertheless, when configured for GMRS it does behave as a compliant radio.

Mr. Chung made these options to pass type acceptance regulations. Same radio different labels. I really like my DB20.

3 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

Mr. Chung made these options to pass type acceptance regulations. Same radio different labels. I really like my DB20.

You've mentioned Harry S Chung in this context before.  Where do you get your information about him and this radio?  Google does not bring up much.

11 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

I'll have to double check the midlands in a bit, but; my kg805g doesn't mention part 95 on the label, though it does have a line for "bands:" where it indicates GMRS.

6 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

I have yet to find anything on the tags of any radio I have that mentions Part 95 compliance. They just show the FCC ID and that's about it as far as compliance is concerned.

I have purchased several of these radios, and all were delivered in GMRS mode. With the programming software, I've been able to add extra repeater channels to mine that work for both TX and RX.

I do have to watch the order in which I enter the frequency data, though, because sometimes the CPS application writes over the information I've entered. For example, it wants to default to using the same frequency for TX as was entered for RX. At times, I didn't notice that it changed things until after I programmed the radio. I then tried to key up my repeater, only to be denied because it was using the wrong transmit frequency.

2 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

I'll have to double check the midlands in a bit, but; my kg805g doesn't mention part 95 on the label, though it does have a line for "bands:" where it indicates GMRS.

Reading this caused me to look at my Wouxon KG-UV9G, and it doesn't have such a line. It does however, show the model as KG-UV9G, GMRS.

There is no mention of GMRS or Part 95 compliance anywhere else on the label.