AT-779UV / DB20-G First Impressions...

WROZ250

For FCC Authorization search, this is the mother page:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

Radio indeed has 95E certification for (almost) 5W and 20W with 11KHz deviation. Certified as narrow banded, like most of the recent GMRS radios. Out of the recent radios I can only think of new Midlands that are certified as wide banded.

41 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

You've mentioned Harry S Chung in this context before.  Where do you get your information about him and this radio?  Google does not bring up much.

Mr. Chung is the Minister of Commerce in the HungLo province of China. Some of the world's finest counterfeit merchandise and stolen intellectual property emanate from there. Nothing leaves there until it is approved by him. Products from there have a higher degree of quality.

16 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Radio indeed has 95E certification for (almost) 5W and 20W with 11KHz deviation. Certified as narrow banded, like most of the recent GMRS radios. Out of the recent radios I can only think of new Midlands that are certified as wide banded.

I'm betting if you select another operating mode the radio won't be part 95 compliant, at least till you put it back.

6 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

I'm betting if you select another operating mode the radio won't be part 95 compliant, at least till you put it back.

I agree. This is how I interpret the rules. But from the technical perspective, the radio is compliant. Operator will be a good neighbor, unless deliberately decides to be a problem.

10 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Based on my findings there, it looks like the radio is only rated for 20W on the repeater output frequencies (467.xxx). It shows the 462.xxx frequencies at 5W.

29 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

Based on my findings there, it looks like the radio is only rated for 20W on the repeater output frequencies (467.xxx). It shows the 462.xxx frequencies at 5W.

Hahaha, good eye, I did not notice that! Where is Gman when we need him. Example of chinese CCR approach to the certification: no clue, but important to assume right poses.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:43 AM, wayoverthere said:

I'll have to double check the midlands in a bit, but; my kg805g doesn't mention part 95 on the label, though it does have a line for "bands:" where it indicates GMRS.

The GXTs don't say anything about 9lpart 95 either, just model number and fcc id.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, WyoJoe said:

I wonder if it locks down the power in gmrs mode. I'm using 136-174/400-470 mode, and it showed 20.x watts on high everywhere I tested high. 5ish on low, 9.9 on medium. I have it almost entirely uhf only, as the only good gain antenna I have to pair it with is a wideband browning uhf. Will have to double check the signal stalk for gmrs.

46 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

I wonder if it locks down the power in gmrs mode. I'm using 136-174/400-470 mode, and it showed 20.x watts on high everywhere I tested high. 5ish on low, 9.9 on medium. I have it almost entirely uhf only, as the only good gain antenna I have to pair it with is a wideband browning uhf. Will have to double check the signal stalk for gmrs.

For channels 1-7, the radio is locked down to low power (~5W).

Channels 8-14 are nonexistent because they are restricted to .5W, which the radio can't supply on transmit. I added these frequencies to my radios, but with TX inhibit so I can only monitor them. If I hear something on one of those channels that I feel compelled to respond to, I'll just grab one of my handheld radios to respond with.

Channels 15-22 (simplex) and 23-30 (repeater) are, by default, set to high power (~20W).

By default, all channels are set to narrow band.

23 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

For channels 1-7, the radio is locked down to low power (~5W).

Channels 8-14 are nonexistent because they are restricted to .5W, which the radio can't supply on transmit. I added these frequencies to my radios, but with TX inhibit so I can only monitor them. If I hear something on one of those channels that I feel compelled to respond to, I'll just grab one of my handheld radios to respond with.

Channels 15-22 (simplex) and 23-30 (repeater) are, by default, set to high power (~20W).

By default, all channels are set to narrow band.

Noted; I set mine up the ssame with 8-14 tx disabled, 1-7 for low power. And 15-22 as usual, plus simplex and repeater 20 with a 141.3 tone and the 3 local repeaters in range.

5 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Noted; I set mine up the ssame with 8-14 tx disabled, 1-7 for low power. And 15-22 as usual, plus simplex and repeater 20 with a 141.3 tone and the 3 local repeaters in range.

Would you please repeat this paragraph without using words like “low” or “as usual” and instead insert your measured power out. 

Plus are you set to wide or narrow band?

24 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Would you please repeat this paragraph without using words like “low” or “as usual” and instead insert your measured power out. 

Plus are you set to wide or narrow band?

As best I can, sure, though I didn't measure every channel...it was kind of spur of the moment on my 'break'...I can grab more numbers soon if needed.

What testing I did showed "low" as 5.x watts, 9.x on "medium", and "high" around 20.x watts (small variance of a tenth or two around the bands). Voltage was 13.8 per both the PSU and the display on the radio, though I didn't go get a multimeter to verify. References to"low", "medium" or "high" power refer to the software and/or menu options.

1-7 and 15-22 are set wideband, as are most of the other things I have programmed, while 8-14 are set narrow, tx disabled, and a few others are set narrow accordingly. Power wise, 1-7 are on the "low" setting, I'll have to double check 15-22; I want to say I used "medium" for most of those, with the exception of one specific repeater I programmed that's ~60 miles out, which is set "high"

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 7:02 AM, WROZ250 said:

When the radio is set to Ham Mode, it will not transmit out of ham band.  Yes, you can put out of band frequencies into the memories, but they will be RX only.  The same is true when set for GMRS, only those frequencies will transmit.

Really? Mine will transmit GMRS and I have it set to ham mode.

18 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Yes, his statement is incorrect; once correctly opened up, it will transmit on GMRS, FRS, MURS, 2 meters and 70 cm.

As will mine...though it is opened up, the code plug i generally have loaded for the one in the truck strictly scans the GMRS channels and a couple local repeaters (since i have a separate ham radio in there).

if i grab it for travel, i have another 'road trip' code plug that gets some additional stuff added based on route/destination that i drop in.

7 hours ago, back4more70 said:

Really? Mine will transmit GMRS and I have it set to ham mode.

It might be a version thing and/or which range you selected. 

If I select the wider frequency range it does transmit 'everywhere'.  The model I have offers several choices of ranges, one of which is specifically the US amateur bands and nothing more.  That range is the one that will not transmit out of the specified band(s).

Nice radio for the money in any event.

FWIW, I have two versions of this radio (actually there are a few of these under different labels) the DB20G and the AT779UV, and they are identical in every aspect save for the name on them.  Indeed, the default startup on DB20G will display 'Anytone', as I'm told the other labeled units do.

Depending on who one purchases the radio from seems to dictate what the factory range is.  I purchased the AT779UV from Amazon as a 'GMRS' radio, but it came defaulted to Ham Band (with restrictions).  Ironically this same radio has a Part 95 FCC ID.

The latter I am less concerned about in any event.

Regardless, at $100 (average) the radio is a good value for the money even for 'CCR'.  Besides, it has a "FUN" button! LOL! ?

That said, there are a lot of used Part 90 radios on the market that can be had for about the same price. 

?

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2024 at 10:00 AM, WRXT271 said:

Anytone AT779UV has a new version 3.0 Available from Let's Get Ready.com

Do you have it?

Many times a firmware package will include a text file of changes from, at a minimum, the last version of the firmware.  It would be interesting to read that file.

Did I read you on another thread to say that this 3.0 is only good for the latest upgraded hardware on this radio?

http://Letsgetreadyinc.com- last time I heard they were out of stock, so I take it from your post they have new stock?  And are they still offering a dual-band mag mount for $29 and both with free shipping?