BTECH

WRQK522

I got a email today from BTECH . They have got a new GMRS radio now. It’s the V2 . Basically the V1 one that can store 200 modified GMRS channels and they are saying that it has a high out put of 5watts. I have 3 of the v1 GMRS radios . I got mine when BTECH changed the or reduced the power output of the V1 down to 2 watts on high. Mine all hit at 4.97 watts.

Just wanted to know if any of you guys knew about the V2 yet ? Also wanted to know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, WRQK522 said:

I got a email today from BTECH . They have got a new GMRS radio now. It’s the V2 . Basically the V1 one that can store 200 modified GMRS channels and they are saying that it has a high out put of 5watts. I have 3 of the v1 GMRS radios . I got mine when BTECH changed the or reduced the power output of the V1 down to 2 watts on high. Mine all hit at 4.97 watts.

Just wanted to know if any of you guys knew about the V2 yet ? Also wanted to know your thoughts.

Hadn't seen it yet, actually....I don't get their emails even though I've bought from them before, evidently.

I'll give them credit for getting with the program, though. They were a really compelling option when they were basically the only thing in the gap between Midland and the LMR gear, but they were falling behind with a lot more flexibility in Radioddity, Anytone, Wouxun, and Retevis gear that's on the market now. 

Curious to see if there'll be changes coming to the 50x1 as well to open that up too.

That’s one of the first good reviews I have seen on a Baofeng GMRS radio in a long time. I’m thinking about ordering one.
I have several HT GMRS radio including a Wouxun KG805G. As far as range and sound can’t tell the difference between the V1 and the KG805G.
The V2 seems like it would be a little easier to work with repeater then V1 one or Wouxun. For the price honestly I think it might be a decent radio. Also I don’t think the v1 has a IP rating. The V2 has the IP54 rating .
It’s not submersible i also don’t plan on using it while swimming.

Seems like a nice radio.

Wonder if they will put firmware update out for the v1.

Personally, I have 2x of the v1s and they do the job. So I won't be upgrading. Now if they charge me like $15 for a firmware upgrade (which I hope they have but don't charge for) I would consider it.

They radio it is based on always has been rock solid for ham use, for at me atleast.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Seems like a nice radio.

Wonder if they will put firmware update out for the v1.

Personally, I have 2x of the v1s and they do the job. So I won't be upgrading. Now if they charge me like $15 for a firmware upgrade (which I hope they have but don't charge for) I would consider it.

They radio it is based on always has been rock solid for ham use, for at me atleast.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Can't. The V1 has a "write once" firmware. Once burned into the chip, it's there forever.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

I haven’t ordered my V2 yet . I’m seriously considering buying one . I’m just kinda waiting to see the new Wouxun and a few reviews on it . Before I decide on buying the V2 . The Wouxun KG-S88G . It is supposed to be a more rugged radio. IP67 rating. Cost about $70 more then the V2 .
Although anything Wouxun comes out with in GMRS you almost got to wait a year before you can get your hands on it .
All and all I think that the V2 is a good value for a GMRS plus it’s IP54 rating will cover anything that I will put a radio through. I can also buy extra batteries fairly easily and cheap plus I have 3 v1 radios, that I can switch parts for etc. think I just talked myself back into buying the V2

My V2 delivered on Sunday. So far it is great. Hit a repeater over 20 miles away with full quieting. Reports said the signal and audio were perfect. I did modify the squelch value settings which you can find on miklor. com. Programming with CHIRP is super easy. 

Quick question….can you program all of the channels in any combination? Most seem to lock out the first 22 channels and leave them in order allowing you to modify the tone.

I have a need to program about 35 combinations using channels 1-7 with different tones and channel names. All of the radios I have tried only allowed user programmed repeater channels so I can only use channels 1-7 one time each.

UPDATE: I just read the post above and it answered my question….

On 5/17/2022 at 7:03 AM, MoeT said:

My V2 delivered on Sunday. So far it is great. Hit a repeater over 20 miles away with full quieting. Reports said the signal and audio were perfect. I did modify the squelch value settings which you can find on miklor. com. Programming with CHIRP is super easy. 

"I did modify the squelch value settings which you can find on miklor. com."

Could you elaborate on this please? Thanks!

I ordered v2 the first day and couldn't be happier with that decision.  The screw on the mic/program flap is worthless don't ever remove it or you will twist the head right off the screw.

As far as the radio,  I have added the 771g and i didn't need to use a dremel tool to get it on like the v1 and the FM radio works.  Also I found it exremely annoying how it would always keep scanning the other channel when I only wanted to have one working.  The dual PTT is nice as well.   I have kids and 80 year olds; and I need to keep things simple at times.

I got an extra battery as well and the charger can just charge the battery without the radio.  I don't recall v1 doing that??  The battery charger also has a dc input hole so you can use any dc power with it unlike the v1 that was straight ac cord only.   

I like how I can make the radio simple or complex.  

• 2 weeks later...

Some guy **ahem** did a review on this radio recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jqff37U58o&t=1262s

Some of you might find it helpful when making the decision to buy this radio. I bought one a while back, and I'm quite pleased with it. Not top of the line by any means, but a lot of great features for the price.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally ordered my v2 Friday. Can’t wait till it gets here . I have 3 V1 radios so batteries wont be a problem. I think though I’m still going to get the extended battery or maybe 2 extended batteries. Matter of fact there are a few things I’m wanting from BTECH. possibly by the time I get my V2,I may order my second V2 .

1 hour ago, WRQK522 said:

I finally ordered my v2 Friday. Can’t wait till it gets here . I have 3 V1 radios so batteries wont be a problem. I think though I’m still going to get the extended battery or maybe 2 extended batteries. Matter of fact there are a few things I’m wanting from BTECH.emoji16.png possibly by the time I get my V2,I may order my second V2 .

Hoping yours will be near advertised spec.

My "2W/0.5W" V1 actually puts out more power than my "5W/0.5W" V2! Something like 1.8W vs 1.7W high, 0.8W vs 0.6W low (both exceed the FCC limit for the low-power-only interstitials, which should be less than 0.5W). I bought the high-cap battery on the basis that 5W would drain a battery faster, but given my tests -- I might as well use it on the V1 ? I'm hoping the 771G antenna I put on the V1 has enough gain to make up for the difference in power (the 701C dual-band antenna reported such bad SWR [one meter maxed out] on 462MHz that I relegated it to the MURS-V1).

I have had decent luck with BTECH. You should contact there customer support.
I have had problems with my radios before BTECH replaced them . They just replaced my UV-25x2 radio. I have 3 V1 radios I got mine first V1 when it was being sold as a 5w radio. By the time I ordered my second V1 ,BTECH changed the wattage to 2 watts. Then I Emailed BTECH asking them if the flashlight on my first radio quit working would I have problems . Without question the sent me a new radio. I did not even ask for a replacement. It was the radio only , no antenna or battery.
As far as any of the V1 radios I haven’t had a problem other then the flash light one the first radio.
As for the wattage on 2 of the V1 radios I get 2.35 on low & on high I get 4.86 .
On the third V1 I get 5.10 watts on high .
So I hope my V2 has the advertised 5 watts. I have only seen 2 reviews of the V2 they tested them and they had 5w . So if mine is less then 5 I’m sending it back. I’m sure they will make it right .
If you can’t tell I’m a BTECH fan.
I also have a Wouxun KG805G, and Retevis RT76P . You plus a Baofeng BF-F8 both of those radios are decent radios.