Jump to content

New Member Here


WRTF739
 Share

Recommended Posts

Checking in.... would like to get the whole Veteran Crew in on this a lot of Veterans are kind of put off by the recent moron tirades and the structure of ham radio today. I think the would be a great alternative and cure some of the boredom and help network shut-ins and give some alternative to networking with the crew. And then there is the testing of the tech lic well it really didn't hold any interest for me to read up on be honest kinda some boring reading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WRTF739 said:

Checking in.... would like to get the whole Veteran Crew in on this a lot of Veterans are kind of put off by the recent moron tirades and the structure of ham radio today. I think the would be a great alternative and cure some of the boredom and help network shut-ins and give some alternative to networking with the crew. And then there is the testing of the tech lic well it really didn't hold any interest for me to read up on be honest kinda some boring reading.

 

You can actually enjoy GMRS for your purposes without having to throw shade at Hams...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Checking in.... would like to get the whole Veteran Crew in on this a lot of Veterans are kind of put off by the recent moron tirades and the structure of ham radio today. I think the would be a great alternative and cure some of the boredom and help network shut-ins and give some alternative to networking with the crew. And then there is the testing of the tech lic well it really didn't hold any interest for me to read up on be honest kinda some boring reading.
I'm new to this board myself, and welcome. Lots to learn, and good teachers to boot on the board.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 12:57 PM, WRTF739 said:

Checking in.... would like to get the whole Veteran Crew in on this a lot of Veterans are kind of put off by the recent moron tirades and the structure of ham radio today. I think the would be a great alternative and cure some of the boredom and help network shut-ins and give some alternative to networking with the crew. And then there is the testing of the tech lic well it really didn't hold any interest for me to read up on be honest kinda some boring reading.

Welcome to GMRS; I think you'll like what it will do for you. I'm a long-time ham myself and I've seen what you've seen; I simply decided to ignore it all and just did what I wanted to do.

Anyway, you'll find some good people here that will be happy to help you out if you have any questions. I'm still somewhat new myself, and I always defer to those who definitely have more experience.

Looking forward to seeing you on the threads!

Warren, WRPC505 / WQ1C

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, TNRonin said:

He's speaking the truth, and being a veteran myself I understand and respect his plain speaking. I'm a ham myself, and came to GMRS because of the sad hams.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
 

Yeah i agree.... listened to hams for a gazillion years and always the same year after year they just move around to the different repeaters. The extra knowledge to me doesn't seem as special as full time hams make it out too be. First year solders know just as much as a tech or general in the basic radio stuff they get and well its just not that special and they come of as haughty and self righteous. Course all that than non sense is to be ignored is true but i think intelligently correcting might go further I think many years of doing nothing but ignoring empowers it but that's just my opinion...

 

Edited by WRTF739
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, TNRonin said:

He's speaking the truth, and being a veteran myself I understand and respect his plain speaking. I'm a ham myself, and came to GMRS because of the sad hams.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
 

And I guess seeing it from that perspective seems lil different. we had radio and nets in what like boot camp? So to get 60yo or 70yo grown men talking like well a baby on radio just makes me like to see more vets working to show that they can have a better way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Mikeam said:

Welcome to this site, there is a lot of good information here and people willing to help. I am a novice my self and many have given me solid advice (not my preferred brand is better than the other brands) that has made the GMRS useful to me as a hobby. Enjoy!

many thanks mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, WRPC505 said:

Welcome to GMRS; I think you'll like what it will do for you. I'm a long-time ham myself and I've seen what you've seen; I simply decided to ignore it all and just did what I wanted to do.

Anyway, you'll find some good people here that will be happy to help you out if you have any questions. I'm still somewhat new myself, and I always defer to those who definitely have more experience.

Looking forward to seeing you on the threads!

Warren, WRPC505 / WQ1C

Thanks Excellent advice thanks Warren

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 11:06 AM, MichaelLAX said:

 

You can actually enjoy GMRS for your purposes without having to throw shade at Hams...

nothing against hams at all personally just the culture they representing the radio is just the radio after all its some of the people that work it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, WRTF739 said:

nothing against hams at all personally just the culture they representing the radio is just the radio after all its some of the people that work it. (emphasis added)

I stand by my original comment:

On 6/13/2022 at 11:06 AM, MichaelLAX said:

 

You can actually enjoy GMRS for your purposes without having to throw shade at Hams...

"Those people..."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 11:57 AM, WRTF739 said:

Checking in.... would like to get the whole Veteran Crew in on this a lot of Veterans are kind of put off by the recent moron tirades and the structure of ham radio today. I think the would be a great alternative and cure some of the boredom and help network shut-ins and give some alternative to networking with the crew. And then there is the testing of the tech lic well it really didn't hold any interest for me to read up on be honest kinda some boring reading.

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you get everything you want here.  There’s a lot to learn and different people learn differently.  I greatly enjoyed studying and taking the ham tests but I also enjoy being able to communicate with my family without all of them having to study and take a test.  GMRS and Ham Radio can be complementary to each other without requiring a person to choose a side.

Thanks for your service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I stand by my original comment:

"Those people..."

Well the ones "adults" that have an extended 30min QSO on jarring farts. I use adults loosely in this case the brainiacs of the ham world and not necessarily ham stuff but knowing everything these are "adults" that talk in that way, I'm not 60-70yo maybe its usual...but unusual to hear.... I didn't even get into the whining about government or just crying about everything in general  and "they" don't offer any solution or at least any that require to get off the chair or out of the basement pretty amazing really... where here most the ppl just talk normalesque.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WRTF739 said:

And I guess seeing it from that perspective seems lil different. we had radio and nets in what like boot camp? So to get 60yo or 70yo grown men talking like well a baby on radio just makes me like to see more vets working to show that they can have a better way. 

That's mostly why I upgraded to General and then Extra so I could partake in everything ham radio has to offer. If someone new asks questions about anything ham radio related, I always try to help or point him/her in the right direction. You'll never see me scream and cry like some that yell things like, "Back in the day..." or "Real hams..." that kind of stuff is BS. The only way that ends is if they begin to die off; sorry, but it's true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, axorlov said:

What a terrible world we live in. Some will talk about jarring farts, others will complain about some talking about jarring farts. After listening for 30 minutes. Where an honest man to go?

I try to time it to see how long it could possibly go for amazes me every time just goes that lil bit more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, WRTF739 said:

Well the ones "adults" that have an extended 30min QSO on jarring farts...

You live in Santa Ana, so give a listen to the conversations on GMRS 725 (if the jamming has stopped), and then tell me why you point only to anecdotal complaints about Hams?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

You live in Santa Ana, so give a listen to the conversations on GMRS 725 (if the jamming has stopped), and then tell me why you point only to anecdotal complaints about Hams?!

well that's my point its not the jammers at all dont thin i mentined anything about jammers they make sounds n stuff not really that bad its "licensed" ham operators that use superior intellect to jam by not unkeying?. other than that the jammers jamming seems less Jammie? they are everywhere but no one even needs to listen to then if they aren't supposed be txing but i digress it you or a family members are a hams? it matters in what way to a gmrs page? btw that its licensed hams qsoing jarring fart that was just one topic poop pee killing animals etc etc all ham operators. thats the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, WRTF739 said:

well that's my point its not the jammers at all dont thin i mentined anything about jammers they make sounds n stuff not really that bad its "licensed" ham operators that use superior intellect to jam by not unkeying?. other than that the jammers jamming seems less Jammie? they are everywhere but no one even needs to listen to then if they aren't supposed be txing but i digress it you or a family members are a hams? it matters in what way to a gmrs page? btw that its licensed hams qsoing jarring fart that was just one topic poop pee killing animals etc etc all ham operators. thats the point. 

You missed my point and I am having trouble trying to interpret your latest point.

Ignore my comment about Jamming.

My point was the 725 GMRS repeater in Los Angeles is full of much of what you complain about, but you point to "Hams" as the culprits; there is plenty of criticism to spread around about how licensed GMRS'ers also operate on the air.

I'll let you have the last word on this topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

You missed my point and I am having trouble trying to interpret your latest point.

Ignore my comment about Jamming.

My point was the 725 GMRS repeater in Los Angeles is full of much of what you complain about, but you point to "Hams" as the culprits; there is plenty of criticism to spread around about how licensed GMRS'ers also operate on the air.

I'll let you have the last word on this topic.

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

You missed my point and I am having trouble trying to interpret your latest point.

Ignore my comment about Jamming.

My point was the 725 GMRS repeater in Los Angeles is full of much of what you complain about, but you point to "Hams" as the culprits; there is plenty of criticism to spread around about how licensed GMRS'ers also operate on the air.

I'll let you have the last word on this topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WRTF739 said:

 

the last word not an issue for me at all communication is all good if its good for something i just don't see how jarring farts is viable for profit maybe it is and im sure that stuff is all over the airwaves only just my experience to date haven't gotten to that here yet maybe i will or wont but one can hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WRTF739 said:

the last word not an issue for me at all communication is all good if its good for something i just don't see how jarring fart is viable maybe it is and im sure that stuff is all over the air only just my experience to date haven't gotten to that here yet but one can hope.

I’m not interested in arguing, but I’m interested in knowing where you heard that conversation. What band(s)? HF (and if HF, which band), VHF, UHF? Listening to a group on a repeater or listening to two or three  people ragchew?

Many nights I sit down for a while and traverse the different HF bands. I’ve never heard anything like that. I hear some people (but not most) yammering on about their most or least favorite political parties.  I just change the frequency. It’s a big knob and easy to turn. Life is too short to allow myself to become angry listening to idiots and there are some idiots in everything. 
I would almost expect such behavior though in some talk groups or rooms where the rooms and groups have descriptive names (“Married first cousin patriots”) and with a bunch of  repeaters or hotspots connected via the internet. That’s still ham radio, but not representative of all ham radio. 
And by the way, I never ever have a problem with politics when I’m using FT8. 🇺🇸

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.