Radioddity not keeping High Power Settings

rroscher

Question

Hello All.....

I have recently purchased a Radiodity GM-30, I have tried programming the radio on the GMRS frequencies that i need high power (Wide Band Frequencies) on, I have to manually change them to High power, when i change the channel, the power reverts to LOW.  is there a way to accomplish this without having to change it all the time?

Thanks for your help.

Robert 

15 answers to this question

23 hours ago, rroscher said:

462.575,467.575, 462.550,467.550 All the wide GMRS frequencies, i know the narrow band are limited to low power 

Technically, the only Narrow-band frequencies allotted to GMRS are the 467MHz interstitials -- and those are 0.5W ERP; the original GMRS interstitials on 462MHz are Wideband and permitted up to 5W ERP.

The narrowband 467MHz group used to be FRS-only, and is narrow-banded to prevent interference with repeaters (proper FRS radios tend to be narrow band on all frequencies).

<sigh>

§ 95.1773 GMRS authorized bandwidths.

Each GMRS transmitter type must be designed such that the occupied bandwidth does not exceed the authorized bandwidth for the channels used. Operation of GMRS stations must also be in compliance with these requirements.

(a) Main channels. The authorized bandwidth is 20 kHz for GMRS transmitters operating on any of the 462 MHz main channels (see § 95.1763(a)) or any of the 467 MHz main channels (see § 95.1763(c)).

(b) Interstitial channels. The authorized bandwidth is 20 kHz for GMRS transmitters operating on any of the 462 MHz interstitial channels (see § 95.1763(b)) and is 12.5 kHz for GMRS transmitters operating on any of the 467 MHz interstitial channels (see § 95.1763(d)).

(c) Digital data transmissions. Digital data transmissions are limited to the 462 MHz main channels and interstitial channels in the 462 MHz and 467 MHz bands.

Compare to

§ 95.573 FRS authorized bandwidth.

Each FRS transmitter type must be designed such that the occupied bandwidth does not exceed 12.5 kHz.

GMRS was always a wide bandwidth service prior to the addition of the 467MHz "FRS" Interstitials. GMRS did not undergo the mandated narrowbanding that LMR (business/public service) underwent some years back. The 462MHz interstitial frequencies were created before FRS and were wide band. In my view, the only justification for going NFM on the 462MHz set is that everyone else is using bubble-pack FRS radios (and no licenses) and one wants to reduce the tonal quality mismatches between (w)FM and NFM (and since the only frequencies not permitted to FRS now are the 467MHz repeater inputs -- one could argue that they might as well set all the frequencies to NFM).

6 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

<sigh>

Compare to

GMRS was always a wide bandwidth service prior to the addition of the 467MHz "FRS" Interstitials. 

Are you saying that 95.1773 MANDATES WFM (except for the 462 interstitial channels)?  I don't read it that way.  I read it as it defines the maximum bandwidth allowed, which means that a narrower bandwidth is still allowed.

6 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

In my view, the only justification for going NFM on the 462MHz set is that everyone else is using bubble-pack FRS radios (and no licenses) and one wants to reduce the tonal quality mismatches between (w)FM and NFM (and since the only frequencies not permitted to FRS now are the 467MHz repeater inputs -- one could argue that they might as well set all the frequencies to NFM).

I have never used Midlands, but historically weren't they mostly NFM until the most recent models and firmware allowed WFM?

I am still confused about your last statement regarding 467 Repeater transmission channels, but we're getting way into the weeds now anyway!

And we're way off the discussion about GM-30 High power settings...

6 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Are you saying that 95.1773 MANDATES WFM (except for the 462 interstitial channels)?  I don't read it that way.  I read it as it defines the maximum bandwidth allowed, which means that a narrower bandwidth is still allowed.

If you look at any radio prior to the mishmash of bubble-pack FRS/GMRS radios, you will likely find that they only supported 20kHz bandwidth (in a 25kHz "channel"). NFM only formally entered GMRS with the 2017 reorganization (where some of those former FRS/GMRS radios are NOW GMRS [power greater than 2W, or access to repeater channels -- which both my bubble-packs fall afoul of; one on power, the other on repeater]). These FRS/GMRS bubble packs tended to be NFM only.

The regulations may permit using NFM, but unless you are talking only to FRS class radios, the audio quality mismatch between someone using GMRS bandwidth vs FRS NFM bandwidth may be annoying.

6 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I have never used Midlands, but historically weren't they mostly NFM until the most recent models and firmware allowed WFM?

Midland basically designed many of their mobiles around the concept that it would be used with groups using FRS NFM bubble-packs, and not really against proper GMRS systems.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:12 PM, rroscher said:

462.575,467.575, 462.550,467.550 All the wide GMRS frequencies, i know the narrow band are limited to low power 

On 11/19/2022 at 1:13 PM, KAF6045 said:

Technically, the only Narrow-band frequencies allotted to GMRS are the 467MHz interstitials -- and those are 0.5W ERP; the original GMRS interstitials on 462MHz are Wideband and permitted up to 5W ERP.

The narrowband 467MHz group used to be FRS-only, and is narrow-banded to prevent interference with repeaters (proper FRS radios tend to be narrow band on all frequencies).

OK, I've got it now:

So then instead of the word "Technically" you should have said to @rroscher "Historically, the only Narrow-band frequencies allotted to GMRS are the 467MHz interstitials -- and those are 0.5W ERP; the original GMRS interstitials on 462MHz are Wideband and permitted up to 5W ERP."

Because: Technically, it is legal to use NFM on all of the GMRS frequencies, including the Repeater Input Channels and as@gortex2has stated on this Forum several times: his personal repeaters are programmed just that way - NFM, for the personal use of his family with other NFM GMRS radios.

? <--?  ?

So that the question to @rroscher (in addition to @OffRoaderX's question about Channels vs. VFO) is: are you using the GM-30 programming software to makes these changes to HIGH power, or doing it just on the keypad?

AND there was a firmware update to the GM-30 that may have addressed his problem; either:

GM30_APP_20210306.bin

GM30_APP_20210403.bin and/or

GM30_APP_20210615.bin 

The most recent of which is available on the Radioddity Support Page for the GM-30.

3 hours ago, willselzer said:

My GM30 has been that way since I "tried" to update the firmware. When you tap the * button, my GM30 goes from L to H on power. But when I change frequencies, I have to do that all over again. It is easier than going through the menu each time, but still a pain. Hope it helps a little.

I am unclear if you are registering a complaint or suggesting a solution?  Which channels?