For Sale - Wouxun KG-1000G Plus GMRS Base/Mobile Two Way [SOLD]

cohassetsteve

[SOLD]

I have a Wouxun KG-1000G Plus GMRS Base/Mobile Two Way for sale. It's about a week old.

It's a GREAT radio but I was hoping to unlock it for Amateur Radio frequencies and that Isn't happening soon

it seems. Asking $275 plus shipping. I believe they are back-ordered at buytwowayradios.com at the moment.

I'm in Northern California near Chico, my email is cohassetsteve@gmail.com

I know of several Part 90 radios (that are marketed and sold as 'ham' radios) that will do both.  Maybe not 50 watts on UHF, but 40 or 45:

Alinco DR-MD500T -- 40

Alinco DR-438 (UHF only) -- 45

TYT TH-9000D (UHF version) -- 45

Anytone AT-D578 -- 40/45 (depends on who you ask)

I'm sure there are plenty more; those are just the ones that I've met in person.  ? 

Using these radios on the 2m or 70cm amateur bands is of course just fine, since there is no "type-acceptance" for ham radio.

They are not, however, type-accepted for Part 95e, so using them for GMRS violates the FCC Part 95 rules.

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

How do you know the Alinco DR-MD500T and Anytone AT-D578 can be "opened up" to transmit beyond ham bands?

They are both DMR.  As with other Alinco and Anytone radios, they are "cousins" if not "siblings".  If you download the programming software for both they are almost identical, except for the font used!

As to your question, let's just say that I know someone who has them.  ?

They both have various "modes" they can be put in.  Some restrict transmission to 2m and 70cm.  Others do not.

4 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

How do you know the Alinco DR-MD500T and Anytone AT-D578 can be "opened up" to transmit beyond ham bands?

The MD500T, at least, is a part 90 (Land Mobile) radio. However, the manual (skimpy at 20 pages) has lots of notices that the radios are preprogrammed by the dealer, and various features may be locked out. One would have to cozy up to the dealer to have have it unlocked and to obtain the programming software and cable.

There is a TYT TH-9800D in my shack. There is also a junker in storage in my basement.  I bought the junker first at a bargain price on eBay because the seller admitted one side of it didn't work.  I liked the way the half radio worked well enough that I bought a new one with the eBay extended electronics warranty.  If you watch on eBay, you see more than a few with problems selling as used junk.   My new 9800 came with FCC compliant programming, but with paper instructions on how to unlock (it works ok on 11m too ?).  The Anytone 578 can be unlocked as well, but you have to do a search engine scavenger hunt to find the process and codes. The 578 is actually a triband radio but on 1.25m it's limited to 6 watts which works for me because there are at least 3 1.25m repeaters in range of my location.  It also does GPS and APRS, so it's a lot more than just a dual band DMR. 

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

The MD500T, at least, is a part 90 (Land Mobile) radio. However, the manual (skimpy at 20 pages) has lots of notices that the radios are preprogrammed by the dealer, and various features may be locked out. One would have to cozy up to the dealer to have have it unlocked and to obtain the programming software and cable.

No need to cozy up to a dealer.  The cable is a standard USB mini, and the software is downloadable from Remtronix (the US distributor).  RT Systems also sells programming software for the MD500/MD520.  (The DR-MD520T adds 220 but at lower power.)

Pretty sure both packages will allow you to change the mode.

23 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

9 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

Absolutely incorrect.

"Absolutely incorrect:" the manual is not skimpy at 20 pages?!? ?

You should see the original manual for the Anytone AT-779UV if you want to see skimpy! 

6 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Let us know if you find a 50 watt GMRS mobile capable of being unlocked (or ham radio capable of being extended to GMRS frequencies.).

The best I have been able to do is the Anytone AT-779UV a/k/a Radioddity DB20-G 20 watt VHF/18 watt UHF mobile.

I have a Radioddity DB20-G that works fine on Amateur 2 meter and 440, and GMRS. Done through chirp software

1 minute ago, cohassetsteve said:

I have a Radioddity DB20-G that works fine on Amateur 2 meter and 440, and GMRS. Done through chirp software

A WINNER!!!!

Welcome to the club of DB20-G LOVERS!

But, as of December 9th, CHIRP does not work with the DB-20G (although CHIRP does work on the unrelated DB-25G).

Are you giving us New CHIRP news?!?

Just now, MichaelLAX said:

A WINNER!!!!

Welcome to the club of DB20-G LOVERS!

But, as of December 9th, CHIRP does not work with the DB-20G (although CHIRP does work on the unrelated DB-25G).

Are you giving us New CHIRP news?!?

OOps, I lied :( it was through the Radioditty software, you can do it in the software or by powering up with the V/M button held down

18 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Let us know if you find a 50 watt GMRS mobile capable of being unlocked (or ham radio capable of being extended to GMRS frequencies.).

The best I have been able to do is the Anytone AT-779UV a/k/a Radioddity DB20-G 20 watt VHF/18 watt UHF mobile.

Yaesu FTM-400XDR, Icom ID-5100A, Kenwood TM-V71A (all current production 50watt UHF) or almost any ham radio dual band mobile made in the last 25 years are capable of being extended to GMRS frequencies via MARS/CAP mods. Usually it's a matter of a clipping a diode or wire in the radio. Heck, even some of the dealers (Ham Radio Outlet for example) will modify it when purchased for $50 and claim that since the dealer did the mod it doesn't void the warranty. Heck, once modified most of them will even transmit on MURS as well.

3 hours ago, markskjerve said:

Yaesu FTM-400XDR, Icom ID-5100A, Kenwood TM-V71A (all current production 50watt UHF) or almost any ham radio dual band mobile made in the last 25 years are capable of being extended to GMRS frequencies via MARS/CAP mods. Usually it's a matter of a clipping a diode clip or wire in the radio. Heck, even some of the dealers (Ham Radio Outlet for example) will modify it when purchased for $50 and claim that since the dealer did the mod it doesn't void the warranty. Heck, once modified most of them will even transmit on MURS as well.

Thank you; that is good to know.

I always thought that MARS/CAP was just beyond the end of the Amateur Radio 2 meter band, I did not realize how far these mods would extend; especially on 440 MHz.

32 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Thank you; that is good to know.

I always thought that MARS/CAP was just beyond the end of the Amateur Radio 2 meter band, I did not realize how far these mods would extend; especially on 440 MHz.

After MARS/CAP mods on the three listed above:

The FTM-400XDR does 136-174Mhz RX/TX and 400-480Mhz RX/TX

The ID-5100A does 137-174Mhz TX and 400-470Mhz on RX/TX

The TM-V71A does 136-174Mhz RX/TX and 400-470Mhz RX/TX

It's not hard to find how to modify them, YouTube is your friend.

So the  question becomes, for me at least, is it worth all this extra expense to go from 20/18 watts to 50?

I am blessed, at home, to have wonderful propagation from the 2nd story antennas on my roof.

I seem to have a "tunnel" over the Cahuenga Pass that even allowed me to watch PBS Inland Empire channels 24.1 - 24.4 from the old TV antenna on my roof, that I had rewired (until one day it suddenly disappeared and after I called the station, they told me they moved their transmission antenna).

My reach on both GMRS and 2 meters and 70 cms in all directions is very satisfying now for my simplex and repeater needs.

I was recently introduced to the Cummings Mountain 440 repeater, which I am told will now give me coverage up to Fresno!

31 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

So the  question becomes, for me at least, is it worth all this extra expense to go from 20/18 watts to 50?

I am blessed, at home, to have wonderful propagation from the 2nd story antennas on my roof.

I seem to have a "tunnel" over the Cahuenga Pass that even allowed me to watch PBS Inland Empire channels 24.1 - 24.4 from the old TV antenna on my roof, that I had rewired (until one day it suddenly disappeared and after I called the station, they told me they moved their transmission antenna).

My reach on both GMRS and 2 meters and 70 cms in all directions is very satisfying now for my simplex and repeater needs.

I was recently introduced to the Cummings Mountain 440 repeater, which I am told will now give me coverage up to Fresno!

Guess it depends on what you want to do. If 20 watts gets what and where you want that's great. The Yaesu and Icom both have DMR modes, great since your a HAM.

I've got a KG-1000G+ as well as a Icom ID-5100a and do a LOT of scanning both in the GMRS and HAM bands. The Icom scans memory channels AT LEAST 5 times and entire band scans at least 10 times faster than the KG-1000 does. I also like the large screen (don't need reading glasses to see it). Pop a SD memory card in it and record everything if you want. It also costs $100+ (or $200+ than the OP has his listed for) more than the KG-1000.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 064824.jpg

Looks nice; thank you for the advice.

I actually do not see any need for DMR in my vehicle.

I have the Radioddity RD-5R connected to my Comet 333 at home via a Delta A-B-C-D switch and being a member of the local PAPA Amateur Radio club, I have access to at least two local DMR repeaters.

I think that DMR would just be too distracting for me while driving.  On that note it took me 60 years to put the Radioddity DB20-G into my car with a cup-holder mount and mag-mount, since it is easy to scan and operate.

13 minutes ago, markskjerve said:

Guess it depends on what you want to do. If 20 watts gets what and where you want that's great. The Yaesu and Icom both have DMR modes, great since your a HAM.

I've got a KG-1000G+ as well as a Icom ID-5100a and do a LOT of scanning both in the GMRS and HAM bands. The Icom scans memory channels AT LEAST 5 times faster than the KG-1000 does. I also like the large screen (don't need reading glasses to see it). Pop a SD memory card in it and record everything if you want. It's also costs $100+ (or $200+ than the OP has his listed for) more than the KG-1000.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 064824.jpg

Neither Yaesu nor Icom have DMR modes.  

Yaesu has their own proprietary digital mode C4FM. No other brands use it.

Icom uses D-STAR, a digital mode created by the Japanese Amateur Radio Society.  Kenwood also makes radios for D-STAR.

DMR is a different digital mode based on a format that was developed in Europe. Several companies make radios for DMR, including some of the inexpensive radios from China.

10 minutes ago, markskjerve said:

Yaesu does (proprietary) System Fusion/C4FM. Icom does D-STAR (not proprietary, but Icom is the only current producer of compatible radios -- Kenwood had produced some for a few years)

Neither protocol is DMR

3 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Neither Yaesu nor Icom have DMR modes.  

Yaesu has their own proprietary digital mode C4FM. No other brands use it.

Icom uses D-STAR, a digital mode created by the Japanese Amateur Radio Society.  Kenwood also makes radios for D-STAR.

DMR is a different digital mode based on a format that was developed in Europe. Several companies make radios for DMR, including some of the inexpensive radios from China.

I should have clarified that point. But they are digital modes. Sorry about that. We have 3 or 4 active but seldom used D-Star repeaters and 10 or so pretty active C4FM repeaters in my area. I probably should have got a Yaesu as it's more popular in my area but too late now.

2 minutes ago, markskjerve said:

I should have clarified that point. But they are digital modes. Sorry about that. We have 3 or 4 active but seldom used D-Star repeaters and 10 or so pretty active C4FM repeaters in my area. I probably should have got a Yaesu as it's more popular in my area but too late now.

I have both DMR and Yaesu C4FM radios.  DMR is harder to learn at first and harder to configure from the front panel because of the codeplug.  Yaesu is easier to just pick up and talk, if there’s already a repeater. But if you want to establish your own node to the YSF network, it gets pretty complicated. I’m envious of the fact that you have some active C4FM repeaters in your area.  There’s only DMR here, but it works well.

I haven’t used D-STAR yet.