Has anyone tried the KG 1000M yet?

48 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I personally have not. I’m sure it’s a good radio but it’s a lot to pay for only five channels maxed at 2 watts tx. I imagine it’s the same as the KG 1000G for rx. I wouldn’t say no if it was given to me though ?

Ditto, I'd be happy to try them out if they wanted to ship me a couple MURS radios to test, but the reality is I have no real need that they (or MURS in general) meet that isn't already met with other gear I have ?‍♂️

I agree with the others.  A mobile MURS radio doesn't do anything that a good MURS handheld won't do.

1. Either can be connected to the same external antennas,
  2. With a handheld all the controls are in your hand, a feature folks are willing to pay extra for in a mobile radio it would appear,
  3. It's possible that the KG1000M has a better receiver than an inexpensive MURS radio, but probably not much different than a decent handheld,
  4. 2 watts is 2 watts, regardless of form-factor,
  5. 5 channels is 5 channels, regardless of form-factor,
  6. If you just want a microphone in your hand, there are ones that plug into the handhelds.

It's like they asked "What's a problem nobody has, so we can solve it?"

2 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I agree with the others.  A mobile MURS radio doesn't do anything that a good MURS handheld won't do.

1. Either can be connected to the same external antennas,
  2. With a handheld all the controls are in your hand, a feature folks are willing to pay extra for in a mobile radio it would appear,
  3. It's possible that the KG1000M has a better receiver than an inexpensive MURS radio, but probably not much different than a decent handheld,
  4. 2 watts is 2 watts, regardless of form-factor,
  5. 5 channels is 5 channels, regardless of form-factor,
  6. If you just want a microphone in your hand, there are ones that plug into the handhelds.

It's like they asked "What's a problem nobody has, so we can solve it?"

Maybe they're hoping to sell some to walmart drivers? Walmart is known for being a big user of MURS, and in many states a hard mounted radio with hand mic is exempted from hands-free communications device laws....not that you can't achieve this with a portable and hand mic, though.

I don't think it's a big change to the firmware between this and the GMRS version... both similarly locked down, just a different range and power level for tx.  Being based on the uv920/980 means they already cover both bands anyway.

I'll take a solid pass. Way, way to much money, even though I'm positive it's a great radio.

I used a pair of ICOM MURS handhelds and couldn't get 1 full statute mile out of them. Measured output was 1.2w on high. I sent my son the the school parking lot and he went out of range before he got there.  Just for grins, I called out to him with my bullhorn and he could hear that. Could make out what I was saying, but he heard it, which was better than the radios. 

So, while you're mileage may vary, it's a whole lotta nope for me.

$370, probably closer to $400 including coax and antenna, for a 2-watt five-channel transceiver, hard-wired into a vehicle that's parked 90% of the time, no repeaters, and arguably the smallest user base of all the radio services. Hard no. I'll stay with my GMRS and ham gear.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:27 PM, marcspaz said:

I used a pair of Icom MURS handhelds and couldn't get 1 full statute mile out of them. Measured output was 1.2w on high. I sent my son to the school parking lot and he went out of range before he got there. Just for grins, I called out to him with my bullhorn and he could hear that. Could make out what I was saying, but he heard it, which was better than the radios.

Between your experience & what I've read about the new IC-T10 h-t [everyone likes it, but thinks that it's overpriced], I'm starting to reconsider my wish that Icom would get back into GMRS equipment

Last month I was lucky enough to pick up a used F21GM for $49.00, I just have to source an aftermarket battery for it, new Icom batteries cost more than I paid for the h-t

I apologize for derailing the MURS topic

73 to all

On 2/3/2023 at 3:26 PM, wayoverthere said:

Maybe they're hoping to sell some to Wal-Mart drivers? Wal-Mart is known for being a big user of MURS

Most store ops are on MURS, they used to have Ritron h-t's, now they use Motorola configured exclusively for them

I don't know what radios the drivers use, or if all of them have one, but usually it's so they can back up to the dock & say "management, Wal-Mart driver is at grocery receiving" since the stores are so busy & short-staffed, either no one answers the phone or there's no one in receiving to hear the truck arrive

If it's on the drivers nickel, I doubt that they're going to spring for a MURS mobile, antenna & install

73 to everyone

• 3 months later...

I watched a video on YouTube on the KG-1000M. Nice looking radio and I'm sure with the right antenna and feedline, the 2 watts will cover great distances. At first, I didn't understand why the put split tones when all channels are simplex. I figured it out now, you program in a couple receive only channels and leave the transmit tone off.

• 5 months later...

I cannot wrap my head around Wouxun offering the KG-1000M. $400 for a radio with 5 frequencies, and the ability to monitor hundreds of others. It's essentially a slowed-down scanner, at that point.

I love my KG-1000G Plus, and would like to be able to "open it up" to transmit on MURS frequencies. I know this will invalidate the Type 95 acceptance, though I can't fathom the justification -- MURS is a license-free service -- aside from "because we (the FCC) say so."

Its the KISS method for a manufacturer. Get certified and sell to a user base. Many don't care about adding other stuff. For years our SAR team ran on MURS and other still do for training and such. Our radio was a 2 channel motorola from graingers. Its no different than FRS in my opinion. grab a radio and go. Know its certified for use and simple. Many of us in the field know better than to buy a CCR thats locked down to a specific use but many do not. 

I think they should have a version of the KG-XS20G although that would still be overkill with capabilities but half the price of the 1000m. I believe they came out with the KG-1000m before the XS20G so already have a MURS mobile on the market but who knows.

My wife and I use the KG-935G plus for GMRS mobile's with mag mount antennas that cover MURS also and we swap the 935's for KG-805m MURS HT's quite often. The 805m puts out the full two watts and works great as a mobile as does the 935G. Takes the same speaker/mic and antenna adapter which make swapping them a breeze. So far we get 5-6 miles easy which works fine around our area. Have not tested further yet but will soon.