Base Station Versus Handheld with Aplifier

pwindsor

Question

Please note I am a total newbie at this

So I was looking at the Wouxun KG-1000G GMRS base station versus the Wouxun KG-935G Plus with an amplifier, is there any upside to using the base station versus a handheld with the amplifier? I cannot seem to find any good articles on pro's and con's. The amplifier has a 40watt output and the base station has a 50 watt output, but from what I have read the 10 watt difference does not make a whole lot of difference. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance

22 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Upside to using the 935G is you can slap the rubber ducky back on it and quickly/easily take it and use it anywhere you want.

Randy, I am a huge fan!

If I might make a suggestion, could you maybe do a video where you discuss the pro's and con's of a base station versus a handheld with a amplifier? You were the fist site I searched, but I did not see anything on that topic.

I do like the KG-935G plus, that said you do receive more bands on the KG-1000G and 1000 Plus. It is also super het if that matters to you. A closer comparison would be the KG-UV9PX or KG-UV9G Pro if you want the more RX bands and super het. Just something to consider apples to apples so to speak. Which of course may or not matter to you.

KG-UV9G Pro (KG-UV9PX) =

Tx (MHz): 30 GMRS Frequencies 462.550-467.725 UHF (Tx locked to GMRS for Part 95E compliance)
Rx (MHz, AM/FM): 76-108 FM Broadcast Radio • 108-136 AM AIR Band • 136-180 VHF • 230-250 VHF • 350-400 UHF • 400-512 UHF • 700-960 UHF

KG-1000 GMRS (kG-1000 GMRS Plus) =

Tx (MHz): 30 GMRS Frequencies 462.550-467.725 UHF (Tx locked to GMRS for Part 95E compliance)
Rx (MHz, AM/FM): 76-108 FM Broadcast Radio • 108-136 AM AIR Band • 136-180 VHF • 230-250 VHF • 350-400 UHF • 400-512 UHF • 700-960 UHF

KG-935G Plus =

30 GMRS Channels

136-174.995 MHz Receive Only VHF Frequencies

400-479.995 MHz Receive Only UHF Frequencies (70cm)

FM Radio

Outside of some of additional (small) loses from connectors, it might not look as clean as a base install.

I can not think of anything but potential damage to the sma connector on a handheld from either connects and disconnects or strain from a heavy coax on the connector.

I can not think of many downsides.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Easy, just use BNC connectors for quick swaps between HT antennas, the mobile antenna in your vehicle, and the mounted antenna at home! No more “stress” on those SMA connectors…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True not true.

The bnc relieves the stress created by installing and uninstalling a cable.

The type of cable, how it is comming out of the connector and the angle of said cable all apply stress.

Those Abree 48" long tactical antennas put a lot of stress on the sma.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your comments, they helped a lot. After talking extensively with Rob (JB007Rules) and watching Randy's (AKA OffRoaderX, AKA notarubicon) youtube video's, I decided to go with the Wouxun KG-1000G GMRS base station AND two Wouxun KG-935G Plus with an amplifier. My plan is to put the KG-1000 in my home and take the amplifier and install in my car and use one of the KG-935G Plus in my car.

Thank you all again for your assistance.

1 hour ago, kidphc said:

True not true.

The bnc relieves the stress created by installing and uninstalling a cable.

The type of cable, how it is comming out of the connector and the angle of said cable all apply stress.

It (BNC) will reduce wear on the SMA. SMA is, last time I checked, only rated for ~500 disconnect/connect cycles.

Correct me if I am wrong, but one would have to be careful not to use the amp on channels 1-7, perhaps disable them for transmit so you don't "oops" put 35 watts on a 5 watt channel.  I have also looked at this option.... and it is still on the table for me.  I don't use 1-7 anyhow.

1 hour ago, WRPL700 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but one would have to be careful not to use the amp on channels 1-7, perhaps disable them for transmit so you don't "oops" put 35 watts on a 5 watt channel.  I have also looked at this option.... and it is still on the table for me.  I don't use 1-7 anyhow.

I believe the original poster was referring to setting up a GMRS base station that will allow 50 watts on the main channels but, you're right he can only use 5 watts on the 462 MHz interstitial channels.

I used the btech amp. It is rated at 40 amps but with the increased output of the Wouxun HT I was measuring over 45 watts at times. Be careful not to transmit on the FRS and low GMRS channels, else you are blasting them and not following regulations. If you don’t use the frs channels, you can just turn off the transmit on those just like mobile. 

22 hours ago, nokones said:

I hear some of those cheap amps may not be FCC type-accepted and put out dirty emissions that may not be within the rules.

Hear from who? Folks with test equipment, or folks who hate anything that starts with B and ends with TECH or aofeng?

23 hours ago, nokones said:

I hear some of those cheap amps may not be FCC type-accepted and put out dirty emissions that may not be within the rules.

58 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Hear from who? Folks with test equipment, or folks who hate anything that starts with B and ends with TECH or aofeng?

There are a lot of electronic products, including RF amps that either do not have or have counterfeit FCC approvals.