Baofeng "GMRS UV-5R"

WRXB215

Just saw this and at first I thought it was just miss-labeled. But there are at least 3 different listings for it. I was wondering what your take is. Are these miss-labeled or is this a new item being made available?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175688525019?hash=item28e7da24db:g:hGwAAOSwMeJkOLaQ&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4H%2F9npwPPb%2FF56f%2Fia3b6aaRA6dsSGEhZwCk11AX6HP4Weq8p7wF4sYazd0d1MH2sesHkI4xgHp%2Be%2BI9tNk%2F6c8NXV%2FW6RPdSb9awTctT%2B5fDx0NN%2FnbChEC3oSiryX9tKfikKLE%2BLWls1WRB0sFLBt3neyeeW1GDxFi8xoWB9LKBRnNXI93%2F4NE%2F3vm67NWVBSdy9xkn44bW%2BxPcz9CtKhbceJTOGLOETDH2ce5pBrYegCDdYk1iL9XGODjcLX3BxPbfpmLX%2B3TPXSH%2FAeWImJ3RVpyx7Vsq4pHkoxGRqBW|tkp%3ABk9SR4zI0ceqYg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394568607654?hash=item5bde1f27a6:g:2FkAAOSwwIVkOdsH&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4FsT1H%2BFiPTfAsVGUh4K19Hb0L%2BSDBJM4HTAG9lqW%2BIMwtya%2BYzWcJ0YIvUfktyrkKB1cgVoQwRLvLEshbu9WMZo0lB9k7pMG%2BSqDLJQcFk9Tp1L0nP088%2FgDK7PNd%2BWwT6wQByRV90r0ePtFDG1EeLHmjD1RqGh0ku%2B%2FCrylyXbaEctTp%2BQ4523gVH%2FQzf35nXflnyaQCyYGMYcQbjVTl6YgH8r4jRLTeCW7MCY6FQkYmPf9b%2Fp%2BmqmAy4HueYYHnyXEW8otBbitvNzITov16TmZ8La7A4Ix1Wr5hTcTkae|tkp%3ABFBMjMjRx6pi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175803508320?hash=item28eeb4a660:g:hJwAAOSwnvRkpRtS&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4EYtmlfrGilK16vTvwEDEASmyPprkM4HadwCpIK0%2FC3C%2BPsLyQIyho265iYCyO1vgloaJcDdomN8hYjXZoyr6BKbaKC3W0opA0lRs8X9R9et4deqfpxSyeodybC8slUDtOi428AiIMC5t5WcjuzFz4VdwVBSiqh0P%2BngdqpOouU41CvNIV5EStLpRHX%2FnDWPWgV3d8QpOY8YXPek1z%2BezJ%2BQtm4kHrjaTqoKYyM4uIQEjCMpV5SfDSSU4uasex9TlYG2Ng9QK57LhMI2m7%2Ffo3XEllQ8PlbGRhvEKNuSLehN|tkp%3ABk9SR4zI0ceqYg

24 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Just saw this and at first I thought it was just miss-labeled. But there are at least 3 different listings for it. I was wondering what your take is. Are these miss-labeled or is this a new item being made available?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175688525019?hash=item28e7da24db:g:hGwAAOSwMeJkOLaQ&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4H%2F9npwPPb%2FF56f%2Fia3b6aaRA6dsSGEhZwCk11AX6HP4Weq8p7wF4sYazd0d1MH2sesHkI4xgHp%2Be%2BI9tNk%2F6c8NXV%2FW6RPdSb9awTctT%2B5fDx0NN%2FnbChEC3oSiryX9tKfikKLE%2BLWls1WRB0sFLBt3neyeeW1GDxFi8xoWB9LKBRnNXI93%2F4NE%2F3vm67NWVBSdy9xkn44bW%2BxPcz9CtKhbceJTOGLOETDH2ce5pBrYegCDdYk1iL9XGODjcLX3BxPbfpmLX%2B3TPXSH%2FAeWImJ3RVpyx7Vsq4pHkoxGRqBW|tkp%3ABk9SR4zI0ceqYg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394568607654?hash=item5bde1f27a6:g:2FkAAOSwwIVkOdsH&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4FsT1H%2BFiPTfAsVGUh4K19Hb0L%2BSDBJM4HTAG9lqW%2BIMwtya%2BYzWcJ0YIvUfktyrkKB1cgVoQwRLvLEshbu9WMZo0lB9k7pMG%2BSqDLJQcFk9Tp1L0nP088%2FgDK7PNd%2BWwT6wQByRV90r0ePtFDG1EeLHmjD1RqGh0ku%2B%2FCrylyXbaEctTp%2BQ4523gVH%2FQzf35nXflnyaQCyYGMYcQbjVTl6YgH8r4jRLTeCW7MCY6FQkYmPf9b%2Fp%2BmqmAy4HueYYHnyXEW8otBbitvNzITov16TmZ8La7A4Ix1Wr5hTcTkae|tkp%3ABFBMjMjRx6pi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175803508320?hash=item28eeb4a660:g:hJwAAOSwnvRkpRtS&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4EYtmlfrGilK16vTvwEDEASmyPprkM4HadwCpIK0%2FC3C%2BPsLyQIyho265iYCyO1vgloaJcDdomN8hYjXZoyr6BKbaKC3W0opA0lRs8X9R9et4deqfpxSyeodybC8slUDtOi428AiIMC5t5WcjuzFz4VdwVBSiqh0P%2BngdqpOouU41CvNIV5EStLpRHX%2FnDWPWgV3d8QpOY8YXPek1z%2BezJ%2BQtm4kHrjaTqoKYyM4uIQEjCMpV5SfDSSU4uasex9TlYG2Ng9QK57LhMI2m7%2Ffo3XEllQ8PlbGRhvEKNuSLehN|tkp%3ABk9SR4zI0ceqYg

Save your money and buy a quality radio.

Don't know if it's legit, first I have seen of it. However it is still a $5.00 radio (maybe less) once you subtract marketing, all shipping, packaging and all the accessories. It may be fine as a toy but I would not want one for anything important.

ChatGPT just answered a question about the Baofeng UV-5R this way:

While the Baofeng UV-5R is certified for Part 90 use, it does not have separate certification specifically for GMRS. The FCC requires GMRS radios to meet certain technical requirements and be certified specifically for GMRS use. GMRS radios that are properly certified will display a GMRS certification logo or label on the radio.

However, it's worth noting that the FCC allows dual-use radios, like the Baofeng UV-5R, to be used for both HAM and GMRS services under certain conditions. If an operator holds valid licenses for both HAM and GMRS, they can use a dual-use radio like the UV-5R on the appropriate frequencies for each service. In such cases, the operator must ensure compliance with the specific operating rules and power limitations for each service.

Ebay sellers will do various bundle options on a specific radio.. Some sellers are bold enough to sell un-locked radios and advertise the frequency ranges..   In a nut shell, i haven't found one Baofeng radio that can't be modified...  The UV-5 model radios are the same radio..They basically take an unlocked version and program them for a specific version, ti.e. Ham, GMRS , MHRS, etc.  No different with the UV-9 models.   IMO,, Baofengs are a cheap way to learn about radios and some are even good communicators.  I would bet that 99% of the users on this forum own one, two, three or more of them..   Many times I have seen guys bashing them then you see them using them all the while they have more expensive fancy radios on their shelf..    When i'm out Kayaking and fishing, i always grab one of my cheap Baofengs..   But my favorite GO TO GMRS radio is the  Wouxun KG-935 or the KG-UV9GX

People started telling me about this a few months ago and I thought they were full of it, but I finally saw the listing on Amazon...  My biggest issue I see is the confusion it will cause when telling "some people" that you're using a UV-5R on GMRS - "some people" wont know if they should report you to the FCC or not.

Rumor has it that a very popular and beloved YouTuber will be making a video about this in the coming days.

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

... Rumor has it that a very popular and beloved YouTuber will be making a video about this in the coming days.

😵‍💫 Seems we are starting the same discussion - once more ?!? 🤯 )

@OffRoaderX , you are enjoying this way too much 🤣 😂 🤣

P.S. I wonder what wrist strap this one comes with ... 😇

3 hours ago, pcradio said:

ChatGPT just answered a question about the Baofeng UV-5R this way:

Chat GPT / Bing does not seem to agree with your version: "The Baofeng UV-5R is certified for Part 90 use, but it does not have separate certification specifically for GMRS. The FCC requires GMRS radios to meet certain technical requirements and be certified specifically for GMRS use"

19 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

Chat GPT / Bing does not seem to agree with your version: "The Baofeng UV-5R is certified for Part 90 use, but it does not have separate certification specifically for GMRS. The FCC requires GMRS radios to meet certain technical requirements and be certified specifically for GMRS use"

That is correct, but ChatGPT goes on to say:

However, it's worth noting that the FCC allows dual-use radios, like the Baofeng UV-5R, to be used for both HAM and GMRS services under certain conditions. If an operator holds valid licenses for both HAM and GMRS, they can use a dual-use radio like the UV-5R on the appropriate frequencies for each service. In such cases, the operator must ensure compliance with the specific operating rules and power limitations for each service.

2 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

Wait: you are saying you have "mod'ed" the UV-5G GMRS certified radios to transmit on Ham frequencies?

No I am saying the UV-5G is a GMRS radio. The firmware limits the operation and programmability and they got it certified based on the FCC web site. The exact same hardware UV-5R is sold for ham use and I have a few. 

6 hours ago, pcradio said:

That is correct, but ChatGPT goes on to say:

Which is in error... The FCC regulations for GMRS explicitly state that a radio will not receive a GMRS certification if said radio is also capable of being used in a service that does not require similar certification -- ie; Part 97 Amateur

§ 95.1761 GMRS transmitter certification.

(a) Each GMRS transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the GMRS) must be certified in accordance with this subpart and part 2 of this chapter.

(b) A grant of equipment certification for the GMRS will not be issued for any GMRS transmitter type that fails to comply with the applicable rules in this subpart.

(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in § 95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

A radio could be given dual certification -- say Part 80 Marine and Part 95 GMRS, as long as both the Part 95 AND Part 80 configurations are INCAPABLE of operating in Amateur (Part 97) frequencies. (I specified Part 80 as it is also a service with a limited number of fixed channels [~70], rather than Part 90 Private Land Mobile which tends to cover a wide swath of frequencies, bands, and operating modes)

Wait a moment !!!

🤔 Are we really using web-search results (aka. Chat GPT answers) are prove for our arguments? 

Can we just skip the middle-man (or forum discussion) and have my Chat GPT argue with your Chat GPT ?!?

If the movie War games is any indication, the bots might see the pointlessness of this discussion long before we can agree on that ...

As far as the Amateur Radio plus GMRS radio discussion is concerned, the only winning move is not to play 😇

On 7/14/2023 at 6:26 AM, WRXB215 said:

Are these miss-labeled or is this a new item being made available?

Ebay is not always the most honorable place. My guess is that these folks are saying anything they can to sell radios. If that means claiming UV5Rs are approved for GMRS, then they'll say it. Maybe they are, maybe they're not, depending on how we like to interpret FCC regulations to fit our opinions. I don't care if UV5Rs are approved for GMRS or not, because as has been discussed endlessly here, no one in authority cares what radios we use unless we do something stupid and/or illegal and interfere with other services.

3 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

The rumor was that Goldberg’s previous partner, Aaron Spelling, put the kibash out for him at ABC!

... that might explain why only one of those names is widely recognized !!!

4 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

[...] cancelled after only one good year. 

... you started it and I go next: Firefly 👍

(Wait until someone uses this information against me in one of those rules and dual certification ht threads 😇 )

#CanelledAfterOneGoodYear 😂

4 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

Although Spelling may be the more recognizable name to the general public, Leonard got the last laugh before passing away in 2019, with his still running successful CBS series: “Blue Bloods"

And let's not forget their hugely popular successful TV shows they produced together:

Charlie's Angels (1976–1981)  

Fantasy Island (1977–1984)  

Family (1976–1980) 

Hart to Hart (1979–1984) 

Starsky and Hutch (1975–1979)  

S.W.A.T. 

T.J. Hooker (1982–1986)  

The Rookies (1972–1976)

Definitely some gems of days past -- and maybe one or two #CouldHaveBeenCanelledAfterOneYear

Side Note: The six shows I do know from the list of eight, I know in the dubbed (German) version only - they exported a ton of their shows ... by the time Magnum became "Irish", I was already here (US) 😃

Edited by WRXD372
quick fingers ...

The UV-5R is type approved for both HAM & GMRS use! Woo-hoo!

This paves the way for ham radio operators everywhere to hope & dream that they too can use their lowly Yaesu,Icom,Kenwood radios on both services. Afterall, it turns out, it is merely firmware that separates the two radio services.

If the elite Baofeng corporation, that employees some of the most sophisticated electrical engineers in the world, can create this amazing technological masterpiece, surly our Big Three can eek out an offering too.

I wonder, could HAM radio operators be entrusted to program their radios correctly? Would they be able to press the buttons on their radios to operate in a GMRS style fashion? Maybe we need a separate certification. A license type that proves they can do this?

I would call it: GMRHAMSTR.

10 minutes ago, pcradio said:

The UV-5R is type approved for both HAM & GMRS use! Woo-hoo!

Not approved for use in BOTH services. The Type Certification would be for GMRS with an additional statement it meets Part 15 requirements which is needed for Amateur use. Putting the radio onto Amateur frequencies negates the GMRS certification as stated in the regs.