How to find other GMRS friends in my area

WRYE806

I’m new to gmrs and have been scanning the channels all day everyday since Friday and haven’t heard anyone. I guess there aren’t any gmrs  people in Fayette county Tennessee. I’m also too far out to hit the repeaters in Memphis. I guess I’ll just have to save my radios and license for road trips. But anyway, I’ll keep scanning and listening. I’ll also keep reading the forums. If anyone is in my area, give me a shout.WRYE806 

Welcome to the forum, but, if you are using GMRS to find new friends you have chosen the wrong hobby. GMRS is more for communicating with existing friends while driving, hiking, etc.  For finding new friends/talking to strangers, ham radio or the Grindr app might be a better choice.

3 minutes ago, WRYE806 said:

I’m new to gmrs and have been scanning the channels all day everyday since Friday and haven’t heard anyone. I guess there aren’t any gmrs  people in Fayette county Tennessee. I’m also too far out to hit the repeaters in Memphis. I guess I’ll just have to save my radios and license for road trips. But anyway, I’ll keep scanning and listening. I’ll also keep reading the forums. If anyone is in my area, give me a shout.WRYE806 

Same here in Summerville, SC.  I listen mostly as there id no one around here either so, I just the scan feature.

BUT HEY, GMRS isn't like CB's.  Although I get to use mine when we're off roading in the Jeeps...

7 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Welcome to the forum, but, if you are using GMRS to find new friends you have chosen the wrong hobby. GMRS is more for communicating with existing friends while driving, hiking, etc.  For finding new friends/talking to strangers, ham radio or the Grindr app might be a better choice.

Thank you for that information. I was into cb radios for about 30 years and it finally got to the point that I didn’t want my family listening to all the garbage and foul language on cb, so I got out. I’m now retired and 71 years old and got interested in gmrs radios on a recent road trip with one of my children. So I bought my license so that we would all be legal and bought a couple of handhelds and my son in law is planning on buying some. We were hoping to be able to communicate across the county, but the only repeaters in my county are Police and Fire and EMA. Having served on the Fire Department, I know better than to try to use those. Anyway, I thank you for your input.WRYE806 

3 minutes ago, WRYE806 said:

We were hoping to be able to communicate across the county, but the only repeaters in my county are Police and Fire and EMA

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to be a pillar of your community and put up a repeater for you, and everyone to use.

23 minutes ago, H8SPVMT said:

Same here in Summerville, SC.  I listen mostly as there id no one around here either so, I just the scan feature.

BUT HEY, GMRS isn't like CB's.  Although I get to use mine when we're off roading in the Jeeps...

I’m glad gmrs is not like cb. But I’m still gonna scan the channels, and I take mine everywhere and leave the other radio with my wife just in case I can talk farther than 2 miles. And I do plan on using them for every road-trip as well. Anyway thank you for your reply.

4 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to be a pillar of your community and put up a repeater for you, and everyone to use.

Not sure I’d even know where to begin, or if I could afford it. Ha ha! But it is a thought, and deserves consideration. Just not sure I’d live long enough to enjoy the investment.

2 hours ago, WRYE806 said:

Not sure I’d even know where to begin, or if I could afford it. Ha ha! But it is a thought, and deserves consideration. Just not sure I’d live long enough to enjoy the investment.

With used equipment and a high spot to place it, it can be done for under $1,000. I have even seen some legacy repeaters donated to people who have a good place to put them.

Elevation is key and there are a bunch of people here who have had incredible success putting up repeaters. I'm sure if you get serious about it, several people can help guide you.

You did not mention anything about your radio/antenna.  Raising your antenna if possible should increase your range.  This is the best bang for your buck improvement.  Make sure you use a decent coaxial cable such as LMR400, otherwise the improvement in height could be offset by the loss with a longer cable of a smaller diameter or unknown quality.

Make some noise and see if you can get a response.  I suspect during commute time would be the highest chance of finding someone who is also just scanning like you.  If everyone is just listening, making a contact is not likely