New CB. First Impressions

marcspaz

Well, after 3 years without a CB radio, I bought a new unit. It's a Cobra 75 All Road.

I haven't been following CB, but i do know the FCC rule changes about a year ago now allow FM use. I have been curious about it, especially knowing how well FM works on 29 MHz. I had a customer tell me they were interested in this radio, asked if I had an opinion about it and asked if I would install it for them. So, I bought one to check it out.

I have to say, it's a little weird running a "stock" CB... but so far, I like it. It's just AM/FM with weather channels, but the transceiver is remote and the controls are in the mic (a familiar setup). BUT, the mic and all the controls are done wirelessly. The mic plugs into any USB port you have, or comes with a power outlet adapter. The mic works over Bluetooth so well, that I had the transceiver in my Jeep, but tested the mic range in my son's Jeep. It works about 30 feet away, which was awesome. 

I haven't chatted with anyone yet, but I was listening to AM Skip from all over the country. The receiver sensitivity seems real good so far.  I am going to ask a friend of mine with an FM CB to help me do some range testing. I'll follow up soon and share the results. 

20230813_165528.thumb.jpg.b30380d1939a0a9d6913e87539b7d2a4.jpg

20230813_165444.thumb.jpg.935c934efff270ee7971f6c5d63ac4e2.jpg

I got to do a range test today and I am very impressed. In an area I typically get about 5 miles of simplex range with a 50w VHF or UHF radio (Ham and GMRS) I was able to have a conversation at 14 miles apart, while moving. 

One of my friends who also has a good AM/FM CB and a good antenna setup were able to run a test while driving in Norther Virginia. I have to say, 14 miles for both AM and FM is fantastic around hear.

The furthest I have ever talked on a CB on the local level was 26 miles, using a 104" (1/4 wave) steel whip antenna and 12.5w peak. 

This 14 mile contact was using 3.5w and a 86" Diamond HF10CL antenna, which isn't as good of a performer as a 1/4 wave would be... but it's pretty darn good. Much better than if I tried a 3 foot or 4 foot Firestik, I'm sure.

This radio seems like a win for a compact FM CB. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/14/2023 at 2:26 PM, marcspaz said:

I put this radio on a watt meter and dummy load today.  I was surprised to see it actually has 3.5w of output.  Most CB radios I have tested over the years have been 2.5w or less.

With my K40 on my Pickup I think I am seeing between 3.4 and 3.7 with my Cobra 29 LTD Nightwatch depending on the selected channel, and my Firestik II antenna on my Jeep with my Cobra 19 DX III is seeing about 2.8 to 3.1 depending on the selected channel.  The power levels were checked with the engine running. 

I'm still waiting to come across someone with a FM CB Radio so I can see how FM 29 LTD performs.

I just installed a Cobra 75 All Road in my SUV. I like it! I bought the BlueParrott B450-XT headset to go with it. I set the BlueParrott button to be the PTT for the Cobra and it works great. Audio from the Cobra using the BlueParrott mic sounds almost exactly the same as using the Cobra mic. Now I can use the Cobra without having to pick up the mic, and a big bonus is that there is no need for an external speaker. It works great.