Handheld at the Airport

zzz

4 hours ago, nokones said:

A Plantronics headset with a coiled cord in a carry-on definitely brought the guy's with the guns over before they asked me if that was my bag jany years ago. I was wondering why they were taking so long to get my bag through the scanner.

I took my Ham HT’s all the time through airport security. The only issue I had was the time I had the Fanny Pack with the 5 amp-hour gell cell and cigarette lighter plug on it in the briefcase. Of course it shows up as a big solid black box with some round cylinder thingy connected to it on the X-ray machine.

Poor TSA guy was holding it at arms length with one hand while SLOWLY pulling the zipper open with the other. The cigarette lighter plug jumped out like a jack-in-a-box. The guy tried to throw it but forgot to let go of it. Everyone saw what happen. He was very nice about it when he gave it back and suggested I put it in my checked baggage next time. Nothing further happened at the check point and I was cleared to proceed to the gate. I’m sure the guy felt really stupid.

2 minutes ago, jsneezy said:

I'm not an expert on anything TSA, but I would think the use of Li-Ion batteries would require them to be carry on. I use an e-cigarette, since I gave up the normal cigarettes, and they told me the 18650 batteries for it had to be in one of my pockets, and couldn't even be kept in my carry on bag. 

In fact if you check on the internet there are some very specific instructions on what type of batteries you can carry on and pack in you checked baggage. If one does this often I suggest getting that info and follow the instructions.

On 8/25/2023 at 11:24 PM, jsneezy said:

I'm not an expert on anything TSA, but I would think the use of Li-Ion batteries would require them to be carry on. I use an e-cigarette, since I gave up the normal cigarettes, and they told me the 18650 batteries for it had to be in one of my pockets, and couldn't even be kept in my carry on bag. 

I have flown with several 18650 cells in my carry on bags without issue.  Use them for vape, flashlights, and battery banks.  TSA never had a problem with them as long as I took them out and placed in tub with electronics.  The nice thing is you can take a bunch of them with you and it won't exceed the capacity restrictions b/c they are not hooked together to create one battery.  The last time I flew, I think I had at least 20 of them in my carry on.  Got some funny looks, but wasn't even questioned.  Maybe I just got lucky. 

I have also taken a couple UV-5r HT's in my carryon without issue, TSA wanted batteries disconnected through the check, but no one cared if I reattached to the radios afterwards.  I did take the antennas off though, just for easier packing.