Offsite repeater location considerations

fremont

Question

Some friends and I are looking at building an offsite GMRS repeater on someone's remote property using solar power*.  Two questions were currently pondering:

1. What do people use for a "vault" to secure radios, duplexer, etc?

2. This location can reach > 100F in the summer.  I concerned a fan will only blow around hot air.  Low duty cycle, though, with traffic picking up during hunting and snowmobile seasons.  Any thoughts on temp control in whatever vault we use?

* We haven't yet run the math on power needs yet.

13 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, fremont said:

Some friends and I are looking at building an offsite GMRS repeater on someone's remote property using solar power*.  Two questions were currently pondering:

1. What do people use for a "vault" to secure radios, duplexer, etc?

2. This location can reach > 100F in the summer.  I concerned a fan will only blow around hot air.  Low duty cycle, though, with traffic picking up during hunting and snowmobile seasons.  Any thoughts on temp control in whatever vault we use?

* We haven't yet run the math on power needs yet.

If you use a low powered repeater in a box like the Retevis RT97S or Midland, the entire repeater is in a waterproof enclosure. 
Otherwise it’s going to depend on what repeater you use. There are NEMA enclosures that can be mounted on your tower or you can build something. 
Air circulation, even when the ambient temperature is 100° is still better than stagnant air that allows components to build up even greater heat. 
NEMA enclosures can be outfitted with air conditioners but everything you do that increases the energy requirements makes things more complicated. 

Repeaters that I own or help manage are all indoors with commercial power and climate control. I wouldn't put a repeater outside, even in some type of vault or temporary/portable shelter, for more than a few days. 

You need to be concerned about rain, wind, heat, humidity, just for starters. Unless you're planning on using a waterproof 5w-10w enclosed repeater, I wouldn't recommend it, nor do I have any recommendations for you. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

If you use a low powered repeater in a box like the Retevis RT97S or Midland, the entire repeater is in a waterproof enclosure. 
Otherwise it’s going to depend on what repeater you use. There are NEMA enclosures that can be mounted on your tower or you can build something. 
Air circulation, even when the ambient temperature is 100° is still better than stagnant air that allows components to build up even greater heat. 
NEMA enclosures can be outfitted with air conditioners but everything you do that increases the energy requirements makes things more complicated. 

In addition to protection from the elements, it's also to try and discourage theft in case someone comes across the site.

39 minutes ago, fremont said:

Haven't gotten that far.

I use solar and battery at home, but it's light use. There are online services/calculators that can help you 'right-size' your batter and the amount of hours of direct sunlight needed to charge the batteries, based on how many watts of solar you run.

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

You might also consider a repeater that has a high-temperate rating. My VXR-7000 is rated to operate at up to something like 160F (if i am recalling correctly). The thing is nearly bullet-proof..

Looks great; however, discontinued.  BTWR's version included duplexer + programming.  Is Vertex coming out with a new model?

I bought my brand new, still in the box, Vertex-Standard EVX-R70-G repeater, not including duplexer, for $700.00. I bought an EMR Corp. Duplexer for a tad less than $500 and I am using a Laird FG4605 Base Station Antenna with the tip at approx 30 feet AGL with a LMR400 coax approx. 37 feet in length, sometime earlier this year.

try to get yourself a Cable TV outside plant Power Supply Cabinet.. They are perfect for remote repeaters. They have space for 4 dry cell batteries, cooling fans and rack space to place radio equip etc..  They also lock and are very robust and secure.  A lot of Cable Co's are rebuilding to FTTH and are removing old plant and dumping it..  I've got two of these and picked them up in Sacramento from a company rebuilding,,  free of charge..