Questions from a newbie

KBSherwood

Hello everyone, 

New to the world of GMRS and RF hobbies in general, and I've got a few questions/problems that I'm running into and I hope the very knowledgeable folks here may have some advice. I have picked up two BF UV-9G HT's that came with the RA-MD2 2dBi antennas, along with a Nagoya UT-72G mag mount. I've gotten them programmed with CHIRP. I have made 0 up/down contacts...

A few questions:

1. I have a few repeaters locally, one that's (according to google maps measure feature) 2,630ft or about 800m away, granted its got some greenery in the way but for the life of me I can't seem to hit it either with the HT's walking around or with one hooked up to the UT-72G as close as a couple hundred yards. At least I dont think I am, and I have confirmed with the repeaters owner thats its operational. Its on XXX.700 and chirp automatically applied the correct offset. Both tx and rx are set to the travel tone 141.3 which the owner confirms is correct. I have removed the rx tone to see if I can get anything and still no love. There is another repeater much higher up but further away that I believe I can hit because after releasing the PTT button I get a bit of static then the "do da" (is that "kerchunk"?) noise. I don't get much of anything from the closer repeater (no "do da".) All of my desperate radio checks from around town have gone unanswered on both.

2. The car is mostly glass and alu so I have the UT-72G mounted on the steel trunk lid, its a bit concave so I'm not entirely sure how well its acting as a ground plane, but there is at least 8" of metal in all directions. Is that sufficient? I've read it really should be 12-16" diameter. 

3. There are some local kids that appear to be using FRS HT's in the neighborhood, but I am hearing their conversation over multiple channels (for example GMRS 1-3) is that expected? With no "privacy codes" on either tx/rx they don't seem to be able to hear me, which I assume means they have some tx/rx code programmed. I have read that folks can find those codes, how does one do so?

4. There are a few channels that I pickup very loud and clear something similar to a "dun dun dun" or staticy tapping type sound, its not CW either. I get it on GMRS 15 and repeater channel 1 (which I understand are the same frequency.) I have gone through and reprogrammed the SQL settings via CHIRP from some posts on here to try and expand the range a bit, but even if I assign a SQL of 9 (whatever the highest is) to those channels it still comes through loud and clear. I have never heard anything on those channels other than the above noise. Is this interference from something? Those channels stop my scan every go round and I'm getting to the point where I'm going to program them to be skipped. 

I think that's all the questions for now, someday I would like to explore the idea of getting a mobile such as the DB20 or 25G or something nicer if I can find a good price (the Mrs isnt interested in me spending a bunch of money just talk into the ether) but I've got to at least get some success with the HT's before I can make that case. 

Thank you all so much! 

3 minutes ago, KBSherwood said:

someday I would like to explore the idea of getting a mobile such as the DB20 or 25G or something nicer if I can find a good price (the Mrs isnt interested in me spending a bunch of money just talk into the ether) but I've got to at least get some success with the HT's before I can make that case. 

If you have purchased GMRS radios to 'make contacts' or to find strangers to talk with, then you have purchased the wrong type of radios, as talking with strangers and 'making contacts' is not what GMRS is intended for.  It sounds like H.A.M. radio or the Grindr app might be better choices for you.

2 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

If you have purchased GMRS radios to 'make contacts' or to find strangers to talk with, then you have purchased the wrong type of radios, as talking with strangers and 'making contacts' is not what GMRS is intended for.  It sounds like H.A.M. radio or the Grindr app might be better choices for you.

I fully well understand its a "bring your own people" comm service. We're in earthquake and wildfire country and the ultimate goal is to get my office, the house and the kids school all connected and operational, all are within 6-8mi and we have multiple repeaters available. This is all more a proof of concept before we plunk down anymore money. So far, the PoC is falling flat, so I'm here to learn more/why!

1 minute ago, BoxCar said:

You are using channels 23 through 30 to reach the repeaters aren't you?

I am, yes sir/ma'am. In my HT's they are a "seperate section"  RP1-8 (I believe) so no accidental transmissions on 16-22 or however they line up with the repeater channels, haven't gotten it all committed to memory!

1. Yes, it sounds like you are kerchunking the repeater.

2. Your ground plane is probably fine.

3. Your manual should tell you how to scan for tones. If it doesn't, use Google. AAMOF, Mr. Grinder above probably has a YouTube video on that.

4. Changing SQL isn't going to increase your range. If there is a constant problem on that channel, then yes, just skip it.

I would start by clearing all the tones, make sure the two HTs are seperated at least 100', and then see how they work.

Then work your way up from there one step at a time.

Edit:
Yes, he has a video on tone scanning. It is for the UV-5R but it might get you close.

@WRXB215 Beautiful, thanks for confirming/the concise answers. I'm going to take one of the HT's up on the roof this weekend (should get me closer to 30' up) and I may even try the UT-72G on a baking sheet. I'll check out that video above, thanks for the link, I'm sure they're close enough I can fumble through it. BTW, anyone else convinced NotA's a Grindr shareholder?! 🤣 

1 hour ago, KBSherwood said:

anyone else convinced NotA's a Grindr shareholder?! 

No, I just know that "some people's" entire hobby revolves around finding strange men talk with, and I think Grindr is a great way for them to do that.  I'm just looking out for them.

Something that a lot of newbies miss is the need to experiment when new to two way radio communications. You must try things to learn what works and what doesn't. Start with the most basic and work up from there. In your case set up a base station with one HT at home and send someone out in the local area with the other one and map out the area to learn where you can and can't talk. Keep trying things to see if you can extend the range. Like getting up on the roof of the house to get some elevation. Also if mapping from a car stop and get out of the car when testing each location or use the mag mount antenna on the car. You want the antenna outside the car for best results. It may still work from inside the car but you will only know by trying it. Looking for elevated locations around the area will make a big difference. Once you get a handle on what you can do simplex (radio to radio) then you can try using repeaters. Again more experimenting is helpful. But in a real emergency repeaters may not be working (if the power is out for example) so you should not rely on them for your emergency planning.

Good luck and have fun!