CHIRP Vs .......

Tiercel

Question

Is it generally agreed that IF CHIRP is compatible with a radio, especially an HT, that CHIRP is preferable to using the manufacturer's specific software?  For one thing, if you have radios from various manufacturers, using one familiar software would illuminate the learning curve over using 3 or 4 different ones.

23 answers to this question

I use the manufacturer's programming software because I can't get CHIRP to work on ancient Windows 7 computing machine. It seems CHIRP would be easier to use as even different models from the same manufacturer don't share the same programming software. Being able to copy and paste inside of one programfor all of your radios would be great.

I've used both CHIRP and manufacturers software for various radios, and I much prefer CHIRP. Some people like RT Systems, but it's pricey and radio-specific. Ive never used it. Because I’m cheap. One thing I did find is that even though my Yaesu FT70 is supported by CHIRP, only analog is supported. Not digital. The folks at CHIRP do a fine job. 

Thanks for the feedback. That's a good diversity of opinion. 

I have loaded CHIRP and used it for my UV-9Gs.  From a user point of view, I found it very easy, BUT I have a computer background.  There might be some issues related to two-way radio terminology that I still have to learn.  I have some UV-5Rs I decided to keep.  I guess I will use CHIRP on those.  By then, I will probably just stick with it when I get my Wouxun mobile.

As another Mac user I prefer Chirp. I have an old XP laptop if I need it. When I use Chirp on a Mac I just don't have any issues like when using the manufactures software on Windows (getting the damn program to recognize a port, finding the correct driver). Chirp just works. 

I used CHIRP to program a repeater into my Baofeng UV-9G and change a few channel names.  Then, I Downloaded the programming from the UV-5R.  I modified it by adding NOAA stations and about 75 repeaters from Repeater Book (thanks to Randy's video).  I also added GMRS channels for monitoring.  When I was finished I cloned the file "up" to the UV-R5.  I did have to erase a few frequencies because I got a "Frequency out of radio Range."

I unplugged the radio to check it, and all seemed well, except I wanted the scan to skip the NOAA stations, so I made a small change to the file in CHIRP.  I was going to re-clone the modified file up to the UV-5R again, but under the "RADIO" menu all options were available except "Upload to Radio."  That option was grayed out.  I exited CHIRP, restarted it, and reloaded the file.  The "Upload to Radio" option is still greyed out.

Does anyone know how to activate the greyed-out "Upload to Radio" menu option

5 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

I used CHIRP to program a repeater into my Baofeng UV-9G and change a few channel names.  Then, I Downloaded the programming from the UV-5R.  I modified it by adding NOAA stations and about 75 repeaters from Repeater Book (thanks to Randy's video).  I also added GMRS channels for monitoring.  When I was finished I cloned the file "up" to the UV-R5.  I did have to erase a few frequencies because I got a "Frequency out of radio Range."

I unplugged the radio to check it, and all seemed well, except I wanted the scan to skip the NOAA stations, so I made a small change to the file in CHIRP.  I was going to re-clone the modified file up to the UV-5R again, but under the "RADIO" menu all options were available except "Upload to Radio."  That option was grayed out.  I exited CHIRP, restarted it, and reloaded the file.  The "Upload to Radio" option is still greyed out.

Are you sure you are uploading the correct radio file?  Try downloading from the radio again and make changes to that file and upload to radio.

I’m in the habit now of downloading from the radio twice, using one file to change and one to bail me out when I screw something up. Hope this helps.

18 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Did you have the radio turned on? Was the programming cable plugged in all the way?

This could be right ^^^

I keep two different programming cables plugged into my computer and sometimes select the wrong one in Chirp which becomes immediately apparent when it won’t see the radio I’m attempting to connect with. 

11 hours ago, Tiercel said:

This is why you download from your radio and copy/paste into that file. CHIRP files are radio specific. I can't load my UV-5R GMRS file into my UV-5R8W and vice versa. I can however copy lines from one to the other and then load.

I have downloaded from one radio and made changes and was able to upload to that radio and a second radio of the same make/model without any issues. Both radios have to be the same make and model to do that. So I am going to say that it is quite possible that @Tiercel did not have the programming cable installed correctly or the radio was not on. I have two Baofeng UV-5R GMRS radios and do this all the time with them.

When working with two different makes and/o models then I download from both radios and copy/paste what I want to change.

The only time my “upload to radio” is grayed out is when there is no file downloaded. If I have a file open it doesn’t matter if the radio is plugged in or not, the “upload to radio” isn’t grayed out. Based on this I would say Chirp isn’t seeing a file. For context I am using Chirp on a Mac. 
image.thumb.jpeg.2ee00a42fca4806b8c8df580b0978ed3.jpeg

No file, upload grayed out

image.thumb.png.c047a6d5554ecae1f0224b6f23072389.png

File but no radio plugged in, upload not grayed out 

Edit: the programming cables were plugged into the computer but not the radio. I then removed cables from computer and there were no changes in results.

Edited by WRUU653
Cable status

While I am still not certain what the issue was, it is resolved.  After trying several times, confirming the radio was on and properly connected, I decided to click on one of the menu items that were not greyed out.  I closed all files and clicked "Upload from Radio".  It did upload the file.  I turned the scan off on NOAA frequencies and clicked on "Download to Radio," and it worked perfectly.  

Thanks for the ideas and help.

I've been running a Linux Distro of one kind or another for well over 12 years, I'd rather now have a computer if I had to use Windoze. That being said, I've been running MX-Linux for about 3 years now(if it ain't broke, don't fix it, LOL) and it's Debian based with the KDE Desktop. I was about to get the CHIRP Flatpak installed without much issue and it works perfectly.  If you have an old PC or Laptop sitting round download and flash a USB stick with MX-Linux and do the install then have fun with a light, fast op-system that'll bring life back to your old hardware.

@Tiercel That is exactly what I was talking about. When you "Uploaded from Radio" CHIRP created a file specific to that radio. That is the file you can download to that specific radio. You can copy channels and paste from any file but the file itself is radio specific. I can't even use a UV-5R GMRS file with a UV-5R8W.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:27 PM, WRXB215 said:

@Tiercel That is exactly what I was talking about. When you "Uploaded from Radio" CHIRP created a file specific to that radio. That is the file you can download to that specific radio. You can copy channels and paste from any file but the file itself is radio specific. I can't even use a UV-5R GMRS file with a UV-5R8W.

I had a Baofeng UV-5R8W and used the standard UV-5R to access the radio. It wasn't perfect(no low, med. high for TX) but it was close enough to work to get channels programed.  Now before I buy a radio I check to see if my version of CHIRP supports it or if there's something close. My plans are to get a Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro or UV9GX and from what I've read any of the UV9 radios should work and CHIRP has a UV9D Pro that I plan on using to access my radio.

I look for updates every couple of days(easy to do in a Debian Linux based system, just drop a terminal and type "flatpak update" and hit enter) and it'll look for any new updates.   If you have an older laptop or desktop sitting around collecting dust or running an older non-supported version of Windoze look up how to make a Live USB and do a Linux install then use that as your CHIRP computer for your radios. JMHO, YMMV.