Unauthorized Repeater Listings

TMCRC

Just want to inform people I guess it's a new trend or something. For those of you that have repeaters listed on myGMRS double check that some else hasn't relisted your repeater as their own. Come to find out just now one individual has done just that. Not just mine but a couple other repeaters as well. Images included.

Screenshot 2023-12-29 192456.png

Screenshot 2023-12-29 192959.png

Edited by WRVL221

I have reported it,which is the most reliable and quickest way to reach Rich.  The function labeled “My Repeaters” makes it far too easy to accidentally or intentionally allow any person to list a repeater as their own and appears right next to the Favorite Repeaters tab.  I suspect at least some people add repeaters to their “My Repeaters” list accidentally while attempting to populate their favorites.  To populate your favorites list, just click on the Star next to the repeater name.

I suggested to Rich (in my report) that the My Repeaters feature be disabled.

18 hours ago, marcspaz said:

I found out this is being done to acquire real names, addresses, email accounts, etc. to start the process of targeting people for identity theft. 

I am glad I was able to catch this whiten 24 hours of it being listed by that individual. He did respond to the Cease-and-Desist email we sent him. I believe he has unlisted everyone's repeaters he listed as his own. Again, just wanted to share light to those unaware of this happening. 

16 hours ago, Sshannon said:

I have reported it,which is the most reliable and quickest way to reach Rich.  The function labeled “My Repeaters” makes it far too easy to accidentally or intentionally allow any person to list a repeater as their own and appears right next to the Favorite Repeaters tab.  I suspect at least some people add repeaters to their “My Repeaters” list accidentally while attempting to populate their favorites.  To populate your favorites list, just click on the Star next to the repeater name.

I suggested to Rich (in my report) that the My Repeaters feature be disabled.

I may have unintentionally done this myself more than once. I'm really not sure. I'll have to go back and take a look.

In my mind, "My Repeaters" can be misinterpreted as favorites. My apologies if I erred. 

Vince - WRZK593

11 hours ago, WRZK593 said:

I may have unintentionally done this myself more than once. I'm really not sure. I'll have to go back and take a look.

In my mind, "My Repeaters" can be misinterpreted as favorites. My apologies if I erred. 

Vince - WRZK593

I could see that happening. But, when you copy and paste the repeaters description and full information, then you are no longer doing this by mistake. This guy literally copied and pasted the repeaters description that was provided on the repeaters original listing. 

Ohhhh now I understand the deceptive level of effort involved!

I did go back to ensure that I didn't claim someone else's repeater, and fortunately, I had enough functioning brain cells (at the time) to Star them as my faves. 

Here in Hawaii, there are VERY few GMRS repeaters, so it's definitely in my best interest to respect, and help the respective owners.

I'm glad I came across this thread.

Vince-WRZK593