Repeater

WSAC739

4 hours ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

But ignore that one in southern PA. He will be quick to tell you it is his personal repeater and you do not have permission to use it. I was below Cecilton one day and he was giving someone hell for keying up on it. 

WOW!!!!!

Well if he doesn't want anyone using his repeater then he should take it down. He owns the equipment but definitely does not own the frequencies. And we all know how easy it is to scan for the correct PL tones.

2 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

WOW!!!!!

Well if he doesn't want anyone using his repeater then he should take it down. He owns the equipment but definitely does not own the frequencies. And we all know how easy it is to scam for the correct PL tones.

Oh yeah, that's one for someone else to park a repeater with a coverage footprint that completely covers his coverage right on that frequency and leave it with a public PL and open access to all.  And advertise it everywhere.  Hell I would be almost motivated to hand out 'loaner' radios to anyone that had a license so they could use it. 

But I am like that. 

2 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Sorry but if a guy doesn't want someone on his repeater then he doesn't need to allow them on it. Granted profanity on it isn't correct but he has no requirement to allow users on his repeater. This isn't ham radio. Many forget about this. 

Oh, I don't disagree.  And even with ham, you can have a private repeater. I don't have issue with private repeaters at all.  I have issue with a-holes getting on their private repeater and getting animated (cussing and such) when someone happens to get on said repeater without permission.   If the owner gets on and explains that it's a private repeater, and he uses it for whatever, or it's a club / group machine for his buddies and him or whatever, I take no issue with that sort of thing. 

When the guy keys up and acts like a jerk, starts cussing and gets red about it, then yeah, he gets the treatment. 

But,  when you are putting up a repeater, and find this sort of thing you tell the polite owner that you are putting up or have put up a repeater on another pair and direct the folks that accidentally get on his private repeater to just switch over to your repeater because it's open and tell him it's open to him too if he wants to. 

10 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

Oh yeah, that's one for someone else to park a repeater with a coverage footprint that completely covers his coverage right on that frequency and leave it with a public PL and open access to all.  And advertise it everywhere.  Hell I would be almost motivated to hand out 'loaner' radios to anyone that had a license so they could use it. 

But I am like that. 

I sincerely hope you are just spouting off and not serious. Deliberate interference is against the rules.

57 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

I sincerely hope you are just spouting off and not serious. Deliberate interference is against the rules.

You’re right, but planting a repeater on one of the few repeater frequency pairs and then telling people they cannot use those frequencies is also a form of interference. 
No repeater owner owns the frequency pair. If the repeater is quiet, anyone else can use that pair. 

4 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Sorry but if a guy doesn't want someone on his repeater then he doesn't need to allow them on it. Granted profanity on it isn't correct but he has no requirement to allow users on his repeater. This isn't ham radio. Many forget about this. 

There are some "closed" amateur repeaters. You have to be a "club member" to use them. Granted they are rare but not unheard of.

I have nothing against that guy wanting to keep his repeater private. What I do have an issue with is how he handled things when others tried to use said repeater. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle things and getting irate is definitely the wrong way. Others flooding his private repeater with traffic is the wrong way to handle things too.

It is easy to scan for the PL tones on any repeater no matter what band they are on. So it is hard to keep everyone off a private repeater.

Anyone have a feel for the typical capacity utilization of a typical repeater?  I know, it is situational but, IMHO, goes to the question of whether a repeater should be private (with the understanding that the tones can be scanned to defeat that effort).

If I put up a repeater I will leave it open until such time that the traffic is taking up a large portion of the capacity and keeping others off.  There would be no incremental cost to me if one more stranger uses it when it is mostly idle.

5 hours ago, Sshannon said:

You’re right, but planting a repeater on one of the few repeater frequency pairs and then telling people they cannot use those frequencies is also a form of interference. 
No repeater owner owns the frequency pair. If the repeater is quiet, anyone else can use that pair. 

You are correct in that this repeater owner has no right to tell someone they can't access those frequencies. If the users are using the repeater for more than an incidental contact, then the owner does have the right to request they stop, or he can turn the repeater off for a period. The rules are a little murky regarding private repeaters, but the uncommon solution would be for the repeater owner to use some common sense regarding the fact the repeater is on-the-air to begin with.