Confession time..

On 2/5/2024 at 6:38 AM, Lscott said:

Yeah, now you have to look for some NOS, new old stock, tubes to keep it going. Likely cost you more for those than what you paid for the radio.

Yes, while the ones in the unit work, I did find several online vendors that have "tube kits" for the SX-24/25, not too bad of a price, ~$65 to replace all the tubes. Might buy a kit just to have when one finally goes. They do get hot, noticed to top hinged cover had some black scorch marks from the tubes that get the hottest.

I remember the old TV's with the "instant on" feature. The tube filaments were powered at reduced voltage when the TV was "OFF" then the full filament voltage was applied when it was turned on. Since the filaments were already near operating temperature it didn't take long for the TV to be ready. This also increased tube life due to the reduced thermal and mechanical shock between cold and hot filaments.

• 5 months later...

That's how it started with me.  Got a TD H3 pair for my birthday.  Next thing you know I have 10 of them and I'm passing them out to the family for SHTF events if they come.  Now I have 2 Wouxun KG20+'s one for my truck and one for the house.  Coax, antenna, masting, lightning protection coming in the mail one by one.

Trying to get the wife involved.  She's sort of on board.  Doesn't care if I do it, but resistant to use it even though she enjoys listening, we have an active repeater nearby.

Trying to get it so my wife can easily contact my sister who is in the same town.  But trees and hills complicate things.  They both work at home so they could talk whenever they wanted at the push of a button.  If I could get her on board with that then it's be much easier with everything else.

But then I might have to worry about her addiction interfering with mine.......😆

On 1/28/2024 at 5:38 PM, SvenMarbles said:

Sometimes I buy radios on the DL without running it by the spousal unit.. 

Is there a help group for me? 

I buy radios, guns, guitars and off-road accessories when I want, as long as I have the money and it doesn't take away from another part of the budget. And I've yet to have to ask permission or otherwise "run it by" my wife.  Same for her and her hobbies, most of which, except the guns, she doesn't share with me.

Am I the exception or the rule here?  I can't see having to ask if it's okay to do something like that.  Buying a house, or a new car for the wife, maybe, but not any of the above!

1 minute ago, Davichko5650 said:

I buy radios, guns, guitars and off-road accessories when I want, as long as I have the money and it doesn't take away from another part of the budget. And I've yet to have to ask permission or otherwise "run it by" my wife.  Same for her and her hobbies, most of which except the guns, she doesn't share with me.

Am I the exception or the rule here?  I can't see having to ask if it's okay to do something like that.  Buying a house, or a new car for the wife, maybe, but not any of the above!

100% this. Neither of us are getting permission to spend $100 here or there on our hobbies. Just big purchases we discuss. I don't know what kind of harpies everyone else seems to have saddled themselves with but like... it doesn't need to be this way lol

9 minutes ago, amaff said:

I don't know what kind of harpies everyone else seems to have saddled themselves with but like... it doesn't need to be this way lol

Haven't seen that word in a while!  Harpy and Harridan used to be very common when talking about the distaff side of the equation...

I wish I could get my wife to buy stuff for herself.  She and I talk about purchases, but I would never expect to control her purchases unless I was concerned about her cognitive functioning (not even on the radar!) and I think she feels the same way about my purchases. She might ask me what I bought if my monthly credit card bill is higher than usual, but it’s curiosity rather than control, but i usually will say something like “I’m ordering a new gun” or radio or computer. After 45 years we know how to communicate well.

But, neither of us have ever had “my money” or “her money”.  It has always been “our money”, so it’s only considerate for either of us to discuss large expenditures with each other.  One of the first signs of drifting apart is when couples begin separating their money. We were adamant that wouldn’t happen to us.

27 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

I buy radios, guns, guitars and off-road accessories when I want, as long as I have the money and it doesn't take away from another part of the budget. And I've yet to have to ask permission or otherwise "run it by" my wife.  Same for her and her hobbies, most of which, except the guns, she doesn't share with me.

I generally get what I want, she does what she wants.  Back in the day when we were married less than 10 years money was tight and we discussed things.  Now after nearly 40 years we try to enjoy life.

2 hours ago, SteveShannon said:

After 45 years we know how to communicate well.

But, neither of us have ever had “my money” or “her money”.  It has always been “our money”, so it’s only considerate for either of us to discuss large expenditures with each other.  One of the first signs of drifting apart is when couples begin separating their money. We were adamant that wouldn’t happen to us.

Congrats on the long run. We've been at it for 33 years now ourselves. Married later on in life, don't know if that helped us, but that's how it goes.  Learned years back to "pay my self first" and basically busted my butt early in my post army days so that I now can work because I want to, not because I need to. And like you it's always been our money, even though the majority of it is mine as my wife has not been able to work for close to 20 years now.

Oh, yeah, I've been a Ham for 32 years now, LOL!!!! (just in case the Great Randolpho cares to be reading this thread...

4 hours ago, LeoG said:

It that beautiful person who makes you sandwiches in the morning for your lunch.

The apartment i lived in for a time had a gay couple down the hall and often were lamenting on what do we do for lunch at work....

The lesbian couple across the hall were always complaining, what do we do with all these sandwiches?

There was a business opportunity missed, IMHO.

8 hours ago, Lscott said:

That’s all? 😕

No, I forgot to count 3 more remote mobiles I have, and I just picked up another one yesterday and it's on its way on the little brown truck and that will make 16 total. Not sure why I bought it other than it's a great little compact radio which I'll end up using it as a loaner for my radioless Jeep and Porsche Club friends on Trail and driving tour runs so they don't have to use their useless CCR radios so they can have radio communicatioms in the group.

26 minutes ago, nokones said:

No, I forgot to count 3 more remote mobiles I have, and I just picked up another one yesterday and it's on its way on the little brown truck and that will make 16 total. Not sure why I bought it other than it's a great little compact radio which I'll end up using it as a loaner for my radioless Jeep and Porsche Club friends on Trail and driving tour runs so they don't have to use their useless CCR radios so they can have radio communicatioms in the group.

OK. My collection hasn't grown much lately. Been a bit more selective in what I get. I don't have any of the mobile or base radios listed.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/249-my-radio-collection/?context=new

On 7/9/2024 at 8:11 AM, Davichko5650 said:

I guess it depends on if you're spending, hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars on toys.