Confession time..

Sometimes I buy radios on the DL without running it by the spousal unit.. 

I do the purchase in PayPal “pay in 4” so the charges don’t stand out as large on the statement and I’m a ninja about grabbing that package off the porch on my way in and having the item in my pocket by the time the back door opens 😢

Is there a help group for me? 

25 minutes ago, WSAK691 said:

I do the purchase in PayPal “pay in 4” so the charges don’t stand out as large on the statement and I’m a ninja about grabbing that package off the porch on my way in and having the item in my pocket by the time the back door opens 😢

That’s some funny stuff.  The key is to get the wife on board.  Tell her things are getting crazy with the weather and “other things” and you want her to be able to communicate if things go down.  Then get her a radio in her car/truck.  A mag mount antenna will work for starters and even hook it up to a hand held.  Get her on the radio and on nets and tell her she is an inspiration to other women/wives.  Then she will be more on board.  

This hobby is like my other hobbies. They all can get quite expensive quickly if you aren't careful. Firearms, model trains, radios; they are all expensive hobbies.

I am lucky that I have an understanding wife as long as all the bills are paid each month. A big bonus is she likes to go fishing so I can buy her sparkly fishing lures instead of expensive jewelry.

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

Knowing some of the stuff you have your pockets are deeper than mine.

I added a replacement cost column to my spreadsheet, I really don't need my wife to see that column. 

12 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

@tweiss3 and @Lscott are are pulling stuff out of the deep freeze to make room to hide more radios. 🤣

Oh no, my wife doesn't really care, she knows shipments just show up, but she also hasn't seen the total replacement cost either. I have stuff laying all around my home office/radio room, its to a point it isn't noticed what is new and what is not.

On 1/28/2024 at 3:38 PM, WSAK691 said:

OK,,  Confession time....    How many radios do you really own.........  

1 hour ago, WSAN780 said:

It's called "retail therapy"... Or at least that's what I tell my wife when she happens to snag a package before I do...

I get it.

The wife goes shopping. Sees an item that costs $2 but it's on sale for $1. So she buys it.

You go shopping. See the same item on sale. But you decide you don't need it.

Later you both can legitimately claim you "saved" a $1. The difference is you still have yours.

image.thumb.jpeg.e44f3eaacc8f731b8c8fc7888afa6298.jpeg

Wife knows I can find something birthday wise in many larger thrift stores...so she encouraged it and we went for my last birthday to an area with a lot of them. Bought an old Hallicrafters SX-24 with matching speaker. Doesn't look like much but still works (most of my "gifts" were radios from several stores). Not going to hide my purchases, last was re-casing kits for some well used Motorola XPR-6550 handhelds (right after getting the SX-24 and some other older radios).