Mods to radios

WSAN654

Question

15 answers to this question

9 hours ago, WSAN654 said:

Hi anyone know anyone who fixes radios within a 50 mile radius of canyon lake, my preference is a store

for GMRS and HAM radio  

Thank you 

Don't forget there is usually a minimum charge even if it doesn't get fixed. The Kenwood repair depot I've used a few times charges about $120 minimum for repairs for bench time. They do go through the radio and check out the performance and perform an alignment if necessary in addition to whatever the original issue was to fix. The turn around time including shipping is about two to two and a half weeks.

You likely aren't going to find a store or shop that will do any repair in person. What model radio? Kenwood has a few places you can send you radio to, Yaesu has the main repair shop in California, you get the idea. You are going to have to send it out, but if its something cheap, most places won't even look at it.

Not Texas, but I Just contacted Yaesu Repair in Cypress, CA and they diagnose and quote an hourly repair plus parts price and you can decline for no diagnosis fee.

Let me go reread their email; that seems too good to be true!

If you purchased your radio new from a Yaesu dealer, then it does have a 3-year warranty.

If your radio is not under warranty, our charges are $90 per hour for labor, plus parts and shipping.

When you send in your radio, a bench technician will analyze the problem and Customer Service will call you with an estimate.

If you agree to go ahead with the repairs, we will repair your radio.

If you do not want it repaired, we will return the radio to you at no charge for the diagnosis or shipping.

To send your equipment to us for service, for best results, please follow these instructions:

1.             If you are the original owner and purchased your equipment from a YAESU Authorized dealer within the warranty period, please include a copy of your purchase receipt.

2.             Pack the equipment for shipping as safely and securely as possible.

3.             If your radio has a battery, please remove it and wrap so it cannot make contact with the radio.

4.             On a piece of paper put your name, address, phone number and email address.

5.             Provide a detailed description of the problem.

We encourage you to ship your return fully insured for the full replacement value of your equipment. Yaesu will return repaired equipment by FEDEX signature required and with no insurance unless you indicate otherwise in your letter. By accepting the return shipment provisions, Yaesu cannot be held liable for any loss of or damage to the equipment in shipment back to you after repair.

Send to:

Yaesu, USA

Attn: Amateur Repairs.

6125 Phyllis Drive

Cypress, CA 90630

Best regards,

Amateur Radio Technical Support

Standard Horizon Marine Support

Yaesu USA

6125 Phyllis Dr

Cypress, CA 90630

r.kerr@yaesu.com

714-827-7600 Ext.1223

I guess I wasn't dreaming!

7 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Not Texas, but I Just contacted Yaesu Repair in Cypress, CA and they diagnose and quote an hourly repair plus parts price and you can decline for no diagnosis fee.

Let me go reread their email; that seems too good to be true!

I guess I wasn't dreaming!

I have a Yaesu FTDX10 with a bad USB port. But Yaesu quoted $900 to repair the radio even though it is still under warranty. They WILL deny warranty claims if you do not have the original receipt, which I do not. 

52 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

I have a Yaesu FTDX10 with a bad USB port. But Yaesu quoted $900 to repair the radio even though it is still under warranty. They WILL deny warranty claims if you do not have the original receipt, which I do not. 

I assume that you don’t have the receipt because you bought it from a private seller. Can you get the receipt from the original owner?

2 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I assume that you don’t have the receipt because you bought it from a private seller. Can you get the receipt from the original owner?

You are correct and the original owner could not find the receipt.

All this is why I stick to radios that are $200 or less.   When they run they’re coarse I toss them and buy a new one.  For my use a $120 20w radio making  a 200mile trip is enough for me.   Can’t imagine spending $1300 on a radio and having warranty issues.  Although I know most warranties are junk anyway.   $1300 is almost a house payment to help pay my house off early.  

9 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

You are correct and the original owner could not find the receipt.

He might be able to download it from the vendor.  That’s what I rely on. 

Is it the USB B port for CAT control or one of the USB A ports for keyboard and mouse?
I love my dx10 and I use Ham Radio Deluxe, which I connect using the USB B port. 
I don’t know what it would take to replace the port. It’s undoubtedly SMT. Have you considered doing it yourself?

8 minutes ago, WSAK691 said:

If it's a bad USB it could likely be handled by a general electronics repair guy. There's a few remaining..

Probably not general electronics, but someone who fixes phones and tablets. Surface mount requires some specialized tools and lots of practice. 

15 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Here’s a video where a guy diagnoses and then replaces the USB chip.

I watched that video and decided not to even try that repair. I work with small N scale digital command control boards, but that is mostly just soldering 28-32 gauge wires to the boards.