Mobile antenna

Guest Jim

Guest Jim

I purchased a mobile antenna and I can’t hit the repeater with it. The  swr is 1.27 but I can hit it in my house with the rubber duck all connected to a handheld ?

19 minutes ago, Guest Jim said:

I purchased a mobile antenna and I can’t hit the repeater with it. The  swr is 1.27 but I can hit it in my house with the rubber duck all connected to a handheld ?

What make and model is the antenna, and what kind of radio? I'm thinking you have some kind of mobile radio installed in the car with the mobile antenna? Or are you using the handheld in the car with the mobile antenna connected?

Hello and welcome!

Most mobile antenna's require a ground plane such as the metal of a car body to work properly. If it's a magnet mount you can place it on a cookie sheet or pizza pan which will provide a ground plane. You will get better performance outside the house and as high as you can get it. Same with the handheld. UHF (GMRS) is mainly line of sight. The more stuff the signal has to penetrate the weaker it will be and the shorter your range.

• 3 weeks later...