Burying coax

VETCOMMS

Question

I did a brief search and didn't see anything but please direct me to the topic if it has been covered.

Is it generally unacceptable to bury coax from an antenna to the house/structure where a radio or repeater would be located?

The pole with the antenna would be about 20 yards from the garage and 10 yards from a power line.

11 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, WRTZ750 said:

I did a brief search and didn't see anything but please direct me to the topic if it has been covered.

Is it generally unacceptable to bury coax from an antenna to the house/structure where a radio or repeater would be located?

The pole with the antenna would be about 20 yards from the garage and 10 yards from a power line.

Not necessarily. As long as you use direct-bury coax, it's not an issue. But make sure that's what you use. Not all coax can withstand being buried because of moisture, temperature changes, that kind of thing. 

That will work bt being LMR400 and foil wrapped still I wouldn't use it... I would go with a Heliax Cable

"All HELIAX coaxial cables are jacketed for direct burial or for corrosive environmental conditions. Standard jacketing material is weather-resistant polyethylene suitable for use in extreme climates."

Make sure the jacket can handle being in water. Unless you use steel threaded conduit and seal connections you will most likely get water in it. We use Rigid at tower sites to eliminate this and still can get some water in it. I have helped a few SAR users with small control stations where we actually used PEX pipe in a short distance and worked well. 

On 2/20/2024 at 9:24 PM, Sshannon said:

It sure makes it easier to replace. 

Yep! It's kinda foolish to not use conduit. It's inexpensive and you don't have to dig again if you have to replace the run or add another. Just because cable is rated direct burial doesn't mean you have to use it that way. I've seen too many direct burial cables get the jacket compromised by small sharp rocks. I won't do a job unless it's in conduit.