Probably the dumbest question you’ve ever seen.

WSAV277

Question

As the title says, I’m sure it is because, as notarubicon says, use your google machine which has failed me. I’m 100percent a noob, and without further ado, are frequencies 463,464,465 and 466 and all of the corresponding numbers after the decimal point not gmrs channels? Or are you only allowed to use the designated channels that apparently come preprogrammed on a legitimate gmrs radio the ONLY frequencies you can use? Are we really only limited to these channels/ frequencies between 462 and 467 that you can find the list of anywhere on google? Like I can’t use 463.5550, 464.2725 etc as examples? Go ahead and roast me, I’m here to learn, and we don’t learn unless me make a mistake and I’m sure I’ve probably made the dumbest one by even asking. Thanks

16 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WSAV277 said:

Go ahead and roast me, I’m here to learn, and we don’t learn unless me make a mistake and I’m sure I’ve probably made the dumbest one by even asking. Thanks

Generally speaking, one of the bigger mistakes made here on the MyGMRS forums is roasting newbies. It's demeaning and it discourages them from further participation. Also, in order to be certified for use on GMRS frequencies, GMRS radios cannot have the ability to transmit on any frequencies other than the frequencies and power levels that are designated by the FCC. So if you are using a radio that is specifically an FCC certified GMRS radio, there would be no way you could transmit on any other frequencies. 

1 hour ago, WSAV277 said:

As the title says, I’m sure it is because, as notarubicon says, use your google machine which has failed me. I’m 100percent a noob, and without further ado, are frequencies 463,464,465 and 466 and all of the corresponding numbers after the decimal point not gmrs channels? Or are you only allowed to use the designated channels that apparently come preprogrammed on a legitimate gmrs radio the ONLY frequencies you can use? Are we really only limited to these channels/ frequencies between 462 and 467 that you can find the list of anywhere on google? Like I can’t use 463.5550, 464.2725 etc as examples? Go ahead and roast me, I’m here to learn, and we don’t learn unless me make a mistake and I’m sure I’ve probably made the dumbest one by even asking. Thanks

As others have already commented, the only frequencies that GMRS operators are licensed to use are the 30 listed in the regulations. All of the in-between frequencies are off limits to us for GMRS. 

That’s unlike most of ham radio where ranges of frequencies are available.

For the authoritative reference, here are the official regulations:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E

20 hours ago, WSAV277 said:

And it was not a dumb question for a noob to ask.  Please don't be afraid to ask anything.  Somebody will help....

Most of the 463/468.XXX are allocated/granted to the business radio service and particularly the medical related entities. The 464/469.XXX are allocated to the business radio services, and most of  the 465 MHz freqs are the repeater input/mobile transmit part of the 460/465 MHz paired freqs. for the Public Safety entities.  The GMRS license only authorizes you to transmit on the freqs allocated for the Part 95, Subpart E part of the spectrum from 462/467.550 MHz to 462/467.725 MHz.

21 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

Also, in order to be certified for use on GMRS frequencies, GMRS radios cannot have the ability to transmit on any frequencies other than the frequencies and power levels that are designated by the FCC. So if you are using a radio that is specifically an FCC certified GMRS radio, there would be no way you could transmit on any other frequencies. 

Mostly true.

There are older used commercial "LMR", Land Mobile Radio, radios that you can program with any frequency in the business band segment. Typical range is 450MHz to 490MHZ / 520MHz. Depending on manufacture some of those radios have have Part 95 certification, legal to use for GMRS. The caveat is they must be programmed to follow the GMRS rules for the allowed frequencies for the service. Many users on this forum use commercial hand held and mobile radios successfully. 

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

Mostly true.

There are older used commercial "LMR", Land Mobile Radio, radios that you can program with any frequency in the business band segment. Typical range is 450MHz to 490MHZ / 520MHz. Depending on manufacture some of those radios have have Part 95 certification, legal to use for GMRS. The caveat is they must be programmed to follow the GMRS rules for the allowed frequencies for the service. Many users on this forum use commercial hand held and mobile radios successfully. 

That's true. I'm mostly aiming at the newbie audience that just got a license and a basic GMRS radio off Scamazon or Fleabay. There are some here who go straight for the commercial gear and bypass off-the-shelf dedicated GMRS radios altogether, or go the outlaw route and use unlocked Baofengs and other CCRs. (wink wink)

11 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

I think you guys missed the jist of the question.  They didn't ask "what are the GMRS frequencies?" It was "why aren't 463-466MHz included?" And if they're not then what are the 463-466MHz used for?

Well then in the words of my favorite hit man, Jules Winnfield, "Oh well allow me to retort". In grossly-oversimplified terms, the frequencies nested between GMRS frequencies are allocated to commercial and other uses, not Personal Radio Services. So transmitting on them would disrupt those users. The FCC is tasked with allocating the entire spectrum so we can all play together nicely. 

On 2/21/2024 at 11:26 AM, WRQC527 said:

Generally speaking, one of the bigger mistakes made here on the MyGMRS forums is roasting newbies. It's demeaning and it discourages them from further participation. Also, in order to be certified for use on GMRS frequencies, GMRS radios cannot have the ability to transmit on any frequencies other than the frequencies and power levels that are designated by the FCC. So if you are using a radio that is specifically an FCC certified GMRS radio, there would be no way you could transmit on any other frequencies. 

I am a noob and endorse this response 🙂