GMRS Repeater Frequencies

WRNN316

I see some repeaters on the registry here as listed frequencies not on the 8 repeater channels on my Radio. One particular was channel 22. Don't you want your repeater to have offset RX & TX freqs.  Like one the 8 repeater channels on my HT?  Why would they set it up that way?  I also see the the tones listed but not specified as what kind of tone.  Are the tones always just ctcss?  Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, WRNN316 said:

I see some repeaters on the registry here as listed frequencies not on the 8 repeater channels on my Radio. One particular was channel 22. Don't you want your repeater to have offset RX & TX freqs.  Like one the 8 repeater channels on my HT?  Why would they set it up that way?  I also see the the tones listed but not specified as what kind of tone.  Are the tones always just ctcss?  Thanks in advance. 

Without knowing exactly which repeater you’re asking about I’ll give a hypothetical and long winded answer.

Different radio manufacturers use different conventions for their channel numbers.  One company uses 15 through 22 as their simplex channels and then 23 through 30 as their repeater channels.  Another company numbers their repeater channels as 15RP through 22RP.

But there are also “simplex repeaters” where the repeater receives and transmits on the same frequency without an offset.  Because there’s no frequency offset, receiving and transmitting may not be done simultaneously.  Instead, a simplex repeater stores the received message and then retransmits it afterwards on the same frequency.  

As far as tones, there are tones, which are called CTCSS or PL or similar names.  The frequency of the tone will be expressed in Hertz (Hz).  

Or there are binary codes called DCS, DTCSS, DPL etc.  All the names mean the same.  The codes can be inverted or normal.

Thanks for the info, I have been using the map to look for Repeaters in my area and I feel like there should be more info about the repeaters listed.

(Like the equipment models) It simply states the Frequency, not the GMRS Channel. If the radio is a true GMRS Radio it doesn't list Frequency, only channel. Like my Wouxon KG-805g.  Also it doesn't list the specific type of tone to use(ctcss or dcs), and  It  doesn't specify if its a simplex or duplex repeaters.  Wouldn't these details benefit the community?  Thanks in advance.  

19 minutes ago, WRNN316 said:

I feel like there should be more info about the repeaters listed

Your feelings do not matter.

I have setup in the neighborhood of 30 repeaters from the listing here, and 100% of them had all the information I needed to use them.  If you are not able to figure out how to use a repeater listed here, then you are doing it wrong.

and no, those details will not benefit the community at all because they are irrelevant, or in the case of tones, all the info is already there.

Wow,  whats with the attitude?  Is this a HAM radio forum? Go eat a snickers or don't even comment. I don't care how many repeaters you have set up, buy yourself a trophy or tell your wife about it.  Im trying to figure this out and thought this would be a good place to ask questions.  Did you build this lack luster website and now you're offended by me calling out its lack of details? 

I can figure it out for sure. Thanks for the inspiration. 

6 minutes ago, WRNN316 said:

Go eat a snickers or don't even comment. I don't care how many repeaters you have set up, buy yourself a trophy or tell your wife about it.  Im trying to figure this out and thought this would be a good place to ask questions.  Did you build this lack luster website and now you're offended by me calling out its lack of details? 

I think i like you, can we be friends?

On 2/22/2024 at 11:35 PM, WRNN316 said:

There is no missing information. Non. all of it is there.   This is radio,?not a shrinks sofa.  Feels are irrelevant.    Just input the frequency you need or go to the channel you need.  Input your tones and go for it.  If you got a gmrs only radio it’s even easier.   Off set is already in there.  Plus 5.000000000000.  

This site lists all the GMRS frequencies and their channel numbers.   Don't worry about the other columns for now, just the channel and freq. Just look up the frequency and see which channel it is.   If your radio does not use the "-R" naming, then just imagine that channel 15-Rpt is channel 23 and continue numbering from there.  That is how you will dial it in on your radio.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/newsletters/gmrs-radio-frequencies-and-channels

Most radios use CTCSS ("PL") tones.   This site lists them:

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2022/10/chart-of-standard-ctcss-tones.html

Good luck!

1 hour ago, WRXP381 said:

For the record I have all that info, I can translate FREQ's to channels, I just thought the repeater listings could be more intuitive and there could definitely be more "details" and "specifics".   New GMRS radios show channels, not the Freq's and have CTCSS and DCS tone options. I figured that listing more !DETAILS! might help others. 

Thank you to the people who responded with civility and couth.  To the others with Antenna Envy, may you find solace. 

Just now, WRNN316 said:

For the record I have all that info, I can translate FREQ's to channels, I just thought the repeater listings could be more intuitive and there could definitely be more "details" and "specifics".   New GMRS radios show channels, not the Freq's and have CTCSS and DCS tone options. I figured that listing more !DETAILS! might help others. 

Thank you to the people who responded with civility and couth.  To the others with Antenna Envy, may you find solace. 

But you’re asking for more details but all the details are there in plain English.  There is no more details that can be given.   Tones are there frequency is there.   That’s it.  Offsett is always or should always be +5.0 so what else is there.   Nothing.   No can not put in more details when there are no more details to be given.  You’re over thinking things.  I “FEEL” like this is a time when you need to ask yourself “if every other person gets it, the problem might be me” 

BTW my antenna is 10’ long and does 234 miles from my home to a not so local repeater so no I do not have antenna envy.  

Many GMRS radios have a button that may be labeled something like Mode or VFO that changes they displayed readout from channel to frequency mode. Want to know what frequency a channel is, push the button and it will show you the frequency. Check your manual.

BTW which radio are you using?

4 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

But you’re asking for more details but all the details are there in plain English.  There is no more details that can be given.   Tones are there frequency is there.   That’s it.  Offsett is always or should always be +5.0 so what else is there.   Nothing.   No can not put in more details when there are no more details to be given.  You’re over thinking things.  I “FEEL” like this is a time when you need to ask yourself “if every other person gets it, the problem might be me” 

BTW my antenna is 10’ long and does 234 miles from my home to a not so local repeater so no I do not have antenna envy.  

The perspective for this post was for people(not me) who buy these legit GMRS HT radios as seen advertised on this site and want to easily get set up with a local repeater and avoid decoding "Plain English".

Are you a HAM? I have good feeling you know how to operate radio equipment and bravo to you. Try not to think like a HAM for a minute, think like a newly licensed GMRS family. Who just purchased 4 new KG 805Gs and are legally transmitting with their new call sign, and want to extend their area of communication with a local repeater they found on this site. The radio does not show Freq's. It shows channels. Copy that? 

Where is the offset settings on these legit GMRS HT radios that they are advertising all over this site? 

BTW I can tell by reading your "Plain English" that details are not your forte and you can do better. 

5 hours ago, WRNN316 said:

Wow,  whats with the attitude?  Is this a HAM radio forum? Go eat a snickers or don't even comment. I don't care how many repeaters you have set up, buy yourself a trophy or tell your wife about it.  Im trying to figure this out and thought this would be a good place to ask questions.  Did you build this lack luster website and now you're offended by me calling out its lack of details? 

I can figure it out for sure. Thanks for the inspiration. 

FYI, there is an "Ignore User" feature on this site. It comes in handy for filtering out responses from folks you don't want to read responses from. 

12 hours ago, WRNN316 said:

Thanks for the info, I have been using the map to look for Repeaters in my area and I feel like there should be more info about the repeaters listed.

(Like the equipment models) It simply states the Frequency, not the GMRS Channel. If the radio is a true GMRS Radio it doesn't list Frequency, only channel. Like my Wouxon KG-805g.  Also it doesn't list the specific type of tone to use(ctcss or dcs), and  It  doesn't specify if its a simplex or duplex repeaters.  Wouldn't these details benefit the community?  Thanks in advance.  

You must refer to your manual to determine which channel is assigned to which frequency. Part of the problem is that even though the FCC specifies the channels, they didn’t assign numbers to them. A specific combination of a frequency, power limit, and bandwidth programmed into a radio is a channel.

There are at least two different naming schemes.  Some manufacturers number channels sequentially so the repeater channels simply extend the repeater channels to 23-30.  Some number them RP15-RP22.  That’s because they receive on the same frequencies as simplex 15-22.  The manual of each GMRS radio should include a table that shows the repeater frequencies and the channel numbers for each frequency.

Any of the repeaters that advertise frequencies in the 467 MHz range or channels designated as RP15-RP22 or 23-30 are duplex repeaters. The repeater receives at 467.xxx MHz and transmits at 462.xxx MHz where the xxx portion is often used to refer to the repeater, such as “the 550 repeater “. Unless they specify otherwise they follow the convention of exactly a 5 MHz offset for GMRS.  There are some people who deliberately choose to setup their repeaters with an offset that deviates from 5 MHz, but as far as I know there are no current retail 95E certified GMRS radios that are capable of being programmed with that deviation.

21 hours ago, WRNN316 said:

Where is the offset settings on these legit GMRS HT radios that they are advertising all over this site? 

Did you read the FCC Part 95 rules and regs before you acknowledged by signing the license application stating that you are familiar with said rules?

If so, then you should be familiar with which freq of the paired frequency should be the transmit freq to the repeater and which freq should be the receive freq from the repeater pursuant to Section 95.1763 sub sections (a) and (c).