50 watts or 15? Same range?

WRYD530

Question

I currently have a mxt575 with a mxta26 antenna mag mounted to roof. 
I would like to add another radio to another truck. I could save a couple hundred bucks and go with a mxt275 15 watts and same antenna. Will I be disappointed with the range on 15 watts?  

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, WRYD530 said:

I currently have a mxt575 with a mxta26 antenna mag mounted to roof. 
I would like to add another radio to another truck. I could save a couple hundred bucks and go with a mxt275 15 watts and same antenna. Will I be disappointed with the range on 15 watts?  

Probably not. UHF is limited to line of sight and that doesn’t change with power. 
However, if you’re separated from your target radio by materials that attenuate the signal, having more power can make a difference. 

3 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

I’d personally save ALOT of money and head ache rand skip midland and get a good quality radio for less money or a waaay better quality radio for the same money.  $100 for a 20w, $150 for a 50w.   My 20w does well over 200miles so most people do not need a 50w.  

I second this, I personally would recommend the Anytone AT-778UV (Yeah it's a 2m/70cm HAM radio, but they make a GMRS version.... or you can unlock that one, either way.)

Most people in my area on GMRS have one, and love it. It's perfect for hitting the repeaters and without breaking the bank. Perfect little radio.

Also to answer the main question with something I remember someone telling me:

A $2000 Radio with a $20 antenna might as well be a $20 radio.

A $200 radio with a $2000 antenna might as well be a $2000 radio.

Of course the differences USUALLY between a $200 Radio and a $2000 radio is quality of life features (Not including digital modes)