Still a newbie. What does "3 by 5" mean?

Probably an easy question...

I was chatting on the local repeater, which I have trouble hitting in the evening hours (cloud cover, TV or LED interference, more "calorically challenged" people at home in the evenings, who knows), and I asked how well my signal was coming in. The response I got was "you're coming in at about a 3 by 5 or 4 by 5, I can hear you pretty well."

I'm just assuming that "3 by 5" and "4 by 5" means my transmission strength was around 35% to 45% on their end. Is my understanding of that lingo correct? I'm still learning the GMRS vernacular. 

36 minutes ago, WSBV579 said:

Probably an easy question...

I was chatting on the local repeater, which I have trouble hitting in the evening hours (cloud cover, TV or LED interference, more "calorically challenged" people at home in the evenings, who knows), and I asked how well my signal was coming in. The response I got was "you're coming in at about a 3 by 5 or 4 by 5, I can hear you pretty well."

I'm just assuming that "3 by 5" and "4 by 5" means my transmission strength was around 35% to 45% on their end. Is my understanding of that lingo correct? I'm still learning the GMRS vernacular. 

A signal strength and readability report is a standardized format for reporting the strength of the radio signal and the readability (quality) of the radiotelephone (voice) or radiotelegraph (Morse code) signal transmitted by another station as received at the reporting station's location and by their radio station equipment. These report formats are usually designed for only one communications mode or the other, although a few are used for both telegraph and voice communications. All but one of these signal report formats involve the transmission of numbers.

ITU-R Radiotelegraph Signal Reporting Formats
Signal Question Answer, Advice, or Order
QSA What is the strength of my signals (or those of...)? The strength of your signals (or those of...) is...
  1. scarcely perceptible
  2. weak
  3. fairly good
  4. good
  5. very good
QRK What is the intelligibility of my signals (or those of...)? The intelligibility of your signals (or those of...) is...
  1. bad
  2. poor
  3. fair
  4. good
  5. excellent

Some of these response are funny, and true.  LOL

I wish that people would us plain English on GMRS, but if someone is going to use a scale, they would be more helpful if they said something like I would give you a 3 out of 5 or a 4 out of 5.  That is something most people understand.

Unless you're a radio dork or was in the military at a very specific time in history, you would have no idea what "Q3" or "Q5" is or what someone means when they say "you're in the pipe 3x5." 

It means you were talking to a Sad-H.A.M. doing a poor job at disguising himself as a regular GMRS user. Next time ask him to reply using simple, plain, regular english that normal people understand.
Randy do you have a term for a salty GMRS user.?

Way too many coming out of the woodwork nowadays.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My callsign being 559 makes the 5 by 9 terminology quite confusing. I usually try to report by telling them how their volume, signal strength, and background noise comes in. Also too many people lie about "loud and clear" when someone actually sounds weak. Better to be honest so they know and can fix it.

28 minutes ago, WRQJ559 said:

Also too many people lie about "loud and clear"

Funny you should mention that. Amateur radio contests are hotbeds of signal report lies. Some guy 5,000 miles away will give everyone a 5-9 signal report even though he can barely hear them because it's easier and faster and all he's trying to do is accumulate points. I would rather have an honest signal report so I can adjust my setup accordingly. And for what it's worth, signal reports in the RST system (readability, signal strength, tone) are not only discouraged on GMRS, they are also discouraged on amateur radio repeaters.  

The only time I give signal reports in numbers is when operating on the HF bands. I will just say if they are clear, sound levels, how much static, etc when on 2m, 70cm, and GMRS. A lot of new amateur licensee's don't even understand numbered signal reports until they start using the HF bands.

My brother and I will use strictly military jargon or CB jargon sometimes out of pure fun to mess with others  😆