CORRECT Software for the Wouxun KG-1000 Plus

WSBY419

Question

The link provided by buy2wayradios for this software (which isn't available from Wouxun's website) has 2 seemingly identical zipped files. I'm told one is for 64 bit Windows and the other is for a lesser version. I've installed and uninstalled both versions as they said my Wouxun cable was NFG (my laptop recognized it) or the radio was off (it wasn't) when I tried to read or write to the radio.

Have I now screwed up my laptop, or is there an answer to my ills?

Thanks in advance.

WSBY419 

As you are facing the radio, which side of the radio are you plugging the RJ-45 jack? if you are plugging it into the left side securely (the side closest to the power button), then the only thing I can think of is,,, the RJ-45 jack termination is defective.

Keep in mind, with or without the RJ-45 connection being made to the radio, Windows Device Manager will still recognize the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge while it is connected to the PC's USB port. I just did that on my radio. read the radio, and then got the error message "Failed connection ! Please check if powered on or well connected to the com port!"

1 hour ago, markskjerve said:

Are you connected to the right port for programming? The programming port is the same connector size as the microphone plug but on the SIDE of the radio, not on front.

It  identifies as CP2102 USB to UART bridge controller but, still doesn't read or write to the radio which is turned on.

48 minutes ago, WSBY419 said:

I am seriously wondering if this is worth all of this.

Well, millions of people around the world manage to get their ham and gmrs radios programmed.  It’s like anything else in life.  It take time to learn a new skill.  I’m sure you didn’t give up learning things in life after 1 small set back.  I’ve never used that particular radio or that particular software but I’m sure many many people have.  And I’m sure you’re not the only person to have this temporary issue.  Now the question is it worth it?  Depends on why you got into radios.  If it’s to chat with strangers for no reason? Is it to have comms with family and friends while doing an activity like off roading or traveling? Comms on a ranch or farm? Or have comms with family and friends if the cell/land lines go down? Comms in a shtf scenario? Only you can answer if it’s worth it.  But for me if a small, easy to over come, temporary problem like this made me wonder “if it’s worth it” I’d be evaluating myself.  But I also never would have recommended a kg1000 for a first radio.  That’s a load of money to spend if your not sure it’s all worth it.  

41 minutes ago, WSBY419 said:

I am seriously wondering if this is worth all of this.

This seems to be a common problem, getting programing software setup in the computer, with most brands of radios.

Are you wanting to program lots of custom channels and/or frequencies to memory? If just a few it is easy to do from the radio itself. If many then the software makes it faster. Unless you really have a lot to program (or are wanting to be able to clone multiple radios) you could have it programed in less time the you may spend screwing around trying to get the software to work.

1 minute ago, WRWE456 said:

This seems to be a common problem, getting programing software setup in the computer, with most brands of radios.

Are you wanting to program lots of custom channels and/or frequencies to memory? If just a few it is easy to do from the radio itself. If many then the software makes it faster. Unless you really have a lot to program (or are wanting to be able to clone multiple radios) you could have it programed in less time the you may spend screwing around trying to get the software to work.

It’s funny how people spend all kinds of time “screwing around” with the better software.   The “correct” software.  I download chirp takes 1 min, I open chirp, I plug in a radio and select it from a list and program my radios.   I won’t own a non chirp compatible radio.  Every one says it’s junk and it bricks radios and blah blah blah but in the many years I have used it for many many radios I have never once had not one issue.  No comm port issues no driver issues no nothing.  It take me 10min to update my 10 radios.    

OP maybe you should try chirp? Can’t hurt can it?  You’re already upset and frustrated.   I know it has a kg1000 plus option. 

8 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

It’s funny how people spend all kinds of time “screwing around” with the better software.   The “correct” software.  I download chirp takes 1 min, I open chirp, I plug in a radio and select it from a list and program my radios.   I won’t own a non chirp compatible radio.  Every one says it’s junk and it bricks radios and blah blah blah but in the many years I have used it for many many radios I have never once had not one issue.  No comm port issues no driver issues no nothing.  It take me 10min to update my 10 radios.    

OP maybe you should try chirp? Can’t hurt can it?  You’re already upset and frustrated.   I know it has a kg1000 plus option. 

If the drivers for the communication cable isn't working in Windows, it isn't going to work in Chirp. 

5 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

This is simply based on observations of the constant complaints of mostly newbies having trouble getting software to work. My only point is that software is not needed to use the radio. That's why it and the cable are optional accessories.

29 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

This is simply based on observations of the constant complaints of mostly newbies having trouble getting software to work. My only point is that software is not needed to use the radio. That's why it and the cable are optional accessories.

It is my understanding that this radio isn't Chirp compatible yet.

Once upon a time,(199?) I had no problem with this type of driver issue in Windows.

I'm totally confused as to why these issues exist nearly 30 years later.  Anyway, my quest continues. 😉

This appears to be a "driver issue." The  CP2102 USB to UART bridge controller was downloaded, installed and verified as working yet, I still get a connection error message. So, as of this moment unless the Windows 11 Gods miraculously connect wherever they're not connecting, I'm unable to program this relatively expensive radio without a whole lot of messing around with the microphone keys whether it's a base station or not.

Newbie that I am to GMRS, I'm familiar (although a bit rusty) with installing various items within Windows. 

I just can't put to words (without using nasty ones) how infuriating this is. 30 plus years after Windows is commonplace, it's still a PITA to utilize.

I assume you are using the "red" cable. Are you selecting the correct USB "port" from the Wouxun CPS? Is a port available or are they all "greyed" out? I have the radio and can program it with the Wouxun CPS on a 13-year old Windows 7 machine. I can program the radio on a Mac Mini M1 using Chirp-next. If the driver appears to be correctly installed within Windows Device Manager, the only thing I can think of is a port is not selected from the Wouxun CPS.

I selected port 3 correctly. I then began a new file and was warned of it doing so. Then, I attempt to "read" the radio which is when the connection, on/off warning pops up.

If I detach the cable from the laptop, the port 3 selection goes gray. BTW. I've assigned different ports up to port 9 to the bridge to the same avail with the exception of port 2 which would stay grayed out as a selection.

For what its worth I use chirp (as previously mention in posts)..  I run chirp on a mac m1, its seemless.   Just loaded it connected the radio, it works.  From what I have seen on other software implementation windows always comes out first, and the only issue with it is sometimes the drivers.  if you get the correct drivers installed chirp should work very well.  Anyway thats what I use for the wouxun kg1000 plus.  Best of luck.

5 hours ago, WSAA254 said:

For what its worth I use chirp (as previously mention in posts)..  I run chirp on a mac m1, its seemless.   Just loaded it connected the radio, it works.  From what I have seen on other software implementation windows always comes out first, and the only issue with it is sometimes the drivers.  if you get the correct drivers installed chirp should work very well.  Anyway thats what I use for the wouxun kg1000 plus.  Best of luck.

I just may give Chirp a try. First, I've got to verify whether or not I've got a driver issue to begin with.

Thanks.

On 4/5/2024 at 12:24 PM, WRXR360 said:

As you are facing the radio, which side of the radio are you plugging the RJ-45 jack? if you are plugging it into the left side securely (the side closest to the power button), then the only thing I can think of is,,, the RJ-45 jack termination is defective.

Keep in mind, with or without the RJ-45 connection being made to the radio, Windows Device Manager will still recognize the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge while it is connected to the PC's USB port. I just did that on my radio. read the radio, and the got the error message "Failed connection ! Please check if powered on or well connected to the com port!"

The LEFT side? Okay, that's a new one for me. It could just be the issue.

I'm going to fire up the truck and the KG1000 plus and try this out.

Thank you much!

It's the smallest things that fix the biggest problems.

WRXR360 correctly suggested I use the PC input on the opposite side of the KG1000 from the microphone input.

For this, I thank you WRXR360 very much. 

I simply didn't see nor feel the rubber cap over it. Of course, it has "PC" imprinted on it. (Duh)

Two suggestions, don't turn on the Compander, it is not needed and will more than likely make the transmit and receive audio sound "off", and make sure the "Auto Power Off" is set to off. Other then that, you should enjoy your KG-1000.

For what it is worth, I am using a Nagoya UT-72G antenna and getting good results. I also have the Midland MXTA26 antenna, and while it may transmit with more "power", it does not receive as well for me when doing an A/B test on repeaters in my area.

1 hour ago, WRXR360 said:

Two suggestions, don't turn on the Compander, it is not needed and will more than likely make the transmit and receive audio sound "off", and make sure the "Auto Power Off" is set to off. Other then that, you should enjoy your KG-1000.

For what it is worth, I am using a Nagoya UT-72G antenna and getting good results. I also have the Midland MXTA26 antenna, and while it may transmit with more "power", it does not receive as well for me when doing an A/B test on repeaters in my area.

I'm using a Nagoya NL-770G antenna on a Nagoya RB-MJPL mag mount base.

I've successfully set up 2 repeaters in my area. The stronger of the 2 has responded to my request for a radio check, stating that I was " coming in a 5" I'm taking this as a win.